Why the difference RC2

Rick

How come the UK guys get the higher detailed unit and us Yanks get the old plan sandbox version....look at the 1505 MF for example.....what a shame we dont have the dealers in North America with access to the UK versions...

Agree Pops... it's a bum deal you guys seem to get.... I can only hazard a guess at it being a "safety" thing.... as in not so many twiddly bits for you lot...  :-\

Perhaps this is a question for Mr Waters sometime  :-\

I've got both the 1505's and you've got a lot missing from your version  :o :'(

It's hard enough to get 1:32 US stuff over here, let alone the Euro stuff.

I know the 1505 US version is missing the mirrors, what else is it missing ??? And was the real US version different to the UK one ???

If you look at the tracked JD...the euro has lights on the weight and mirrors, the US version doesn't have either (which I was told that a tracked tractor shouldn't have mirrors as the vibrations would snap them off. The only reason they are on the euro one was because the roof they chose already had the holes). Which then begs the question why didn't they use the roof for the US one then ???

Sorry maybe a little OT  ;D

I'll put my two penneth in...

In the USA, collections tend to not be as formal as European collections from what I have seen. In the USA, younger collectors (10-14) tend to be rougher with their models, and may bring them outside to the sandbox to play with. In Europe from what I have seen, collectors of the similar age tend to keep their models inside and use them lightly on the carpet. People pull lawsuits in the USA for the dumbest reasons on a daily basis...my guess is that RC2 wants to release a model in the USA that they can be certain they will not get sued for, and can include the age 10-14 label on it. In Europe, it seems less of a worry as collectors are generally lighter on their models, so the extra detail can be added to the age group models without the fear of them being constantly heavily used and swallable parts breaking off...

• 1 month later...

Age grading/safety standards are different in the US vs. Europe.  In Europe, you must either age grade the unit 3+ (classified as toy), or 14+ (classified as a replica). 

In the US, we have many different age gradings  18 months plus, 3+, 5+, 8+, etc..  All of these have certain tests in terms of choking hazards, small parts, drop tests, pull tests, etc.. 

The US standard for 3+ is different than the European standard for 3+.  We can leave the mirrors on a European tractor and get it to pass 3+, but cannot get the same unit to pass US 3+ standards. 

Typically we like to offer our lower priced 1/32nd items as toys and sell them as 3+.  This requires that we remove the mirrors and other small parts.  We will also sell some units as true replicas with the mirrors, but we must classify these as "collectible" and age grade them 8+ or 14+.

All of our Precision models and "Collector Editions" are now age graded 14+.

Bill