Why are so many forum members so obsessed with MF

Fendt Fahrer

I have been a member of this forum for a couple of years now and one thing has struck me over and over again. An incredible high number of you , especially the brits, are obsessed with massey. How come ??? ??? ? Zetor seems to be another make very popular with you. Here in North America people in General are JD or in a much lesser extent Case IH or Allis crazy. Personally I prefer Fendt wich holds only a minority market share here but is becoming more popular. Is Massey the most popular tractor in Britain ?

On my farm I have 1 Fendt, 2 Masseys and a Kubota.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking personally , Massey's are my favourite because that's what we run on the farm, got two, a 4235 with a loader and a 6180. I'm also a big fan of Allis Chalmers, have two B's, a G, and an ED40, but the're just for playing with. Allis never sold any tractors in the UK after the mid 1960's, or I'd probably be running a few more modern ones now instead of the Masseys.

well... harry ferguson was from northern ireland and he revelutionised the massey with 3 point linkage :-\ people feel loyal to massey over here because it came from here. personally my favourite is john deere, and i always have loved them, mainly when i was younger becuase i loved the big yellow wheels ;D but i still like masseys but jd is my favourite 8) i feel JD will overcome masseys in the UK, because JD fills the farmers needs and even quite a lot builders are going for JD these days. plus JD is very reliable! ::) hope that helped your question 8)

Am i right in saying Deere is the most popular maker of tractor in the UK? Sales wise .. i knew they were a year two back. Personally i love Deere, frankly because thats what i've grown up with and have been in. Also a fan of Valtra. That doesn't mean i don't like Massey.

I personally think that talking about classic tractors, UK collectors prefer Massey because of the sheer amount of variation and genius building. What really did Deere have at the same time  :-\ Im not quite sure.

Thats my output on it anyway, thanks for an interesting topic  ;)

well... harry ferguson was from northern ireland and he revelutionised the massey with 3 point linkage :-\ people feel loyal to massey over here because it came from here. personally my favourite is john deere, and i always have loved them, mainly when i was younger becuase i loved the big yellow wheels ;D but i still like masseys but jd is my favourite 8) i feel JD will overcome masseys in the UK, because JD fills the farmers needs and even quite a lot builders are going for JD these days. plus JD is very reliable! ::) hope that helped your question 8)

Reliable ? , ask a  friend and neighbour of mine, He was a BIG John Deere fan, then He had 3 in 3 years , nothing but trouble,two 6*20's and a 6*30, couldn't keep them running sweet, breaking down every couple of weeks. Last one was so much trouble local JD dealer refused to take it back in part-ex.

My mate's now bought a Massey 6480,hasn't missed a beat in 12 months, and he reckons it's used half the diesel this last year, that his jd's would have.

:D :D :D

I hate the bloody things... gimme a Ford  ;D

Finally, your coming around ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I personally like all brands of tractors (well, I am having trouble warming up to Kubota still) Ford/NH , Valtra and Massey Ferguson/Harris are more or less my favorites. Actually, I like almost all of the Agco and CNH lines current and originals.

I don't dislike Deere but everyone here is all stuck on them. You go to Wal-Mart and that is the only toy they carry, they have dishes and clothes with the Deere logo, fabric with the Deere logo and I am sure you can probably find toilet paper with the Deere logo (that would be nice ;)). I guess I am sick of Deere being marketed so heavily and all the brain washed kids on forums spewing garbage about how Deere is the greatest brand ever ::)

I do have a John Deere M and a 3300 though in real life but the M came with my farm and I love that little tractor and I bought the 3300 because I needed a small straw walker and I can't find a NH straw walker anywhere here.

Reliable ? , ask a  friend and neighbour of mine, He was a BIG John Deere fan, then He had 3 in 3 years , nothing but trouble,two 6*20's and a 6*30, couldn't keep them running sweet, breaking down every couple of weeks. Last one was so much trouble local JD dealer refused to take it back in part-ex.

My mate's now bought a Massey 6480,hasn't missed a beat in 12 months, and he reckons it's used half the diesel this last year, that his jd's would have.

and is massey that perfect  ??? we have a 01 6610se with 9505 hrs and not missed a beat and pulls like a train we changed from massey too 

and is massey that perfect  ??? we have a 01 6610se with 9505 hrs and not missed a beat and pulls like a train we changed from massey too 

I never claimed Massey's are perfect, I run Masseys and I have problems with them occassionally same as any other brand, I was just pointing out that JD's are no more reliable than any other tractor make.

Well i grew up around All sorts of tractors big and small But the David Brown Selectamatics were the most impressive to watch at work they were such a stylish tractor and the most relible machine you could buy!

My father and uncles used every short of tractor including leyland nuffield massey ford fordson ursus crystal ect.. ect.. but when came down to it the DB's one for there excelent traction very relible stylish good source of parts and generaly just a greaty tractor!

I absolutly HATE FORDS! because they were next best thing to a wheel barrow with an engine realy noisy cabs! Horrble steering no grunt (livelyniss) and they would pull notting! If you ask me the Fordson Major was the best tractor ford made!

All tough i like massey ferguson tractors i have no interest in looking at them at shows or anything because theres to many! there's a bloody plague of grey asses all over Ireland and there all the same more or less!! the same for 35s and 135's thats why if i were going to buy a massey id buy something rare like a 188 4wd or an highway 135 or something. ;D

I never claimed Massey's are perfect, I run Masseys and I have problems with them occassionally same as any other brand, I was just pointing out that JD's are no more reliable than any other tractor make.

yes this is what i tell every one who starts slagging about my choice of tractor but they must be good enough if there on the top spot

there is yet to b a colour of tractors that dont give trouble,but ul see the likes of a 3125 massey or 8210 ford outliving all these range command/cvt/powerquad/dyna6 tractors

The Majority of FORD 8210's in this country have had an engine change!! but cant say the same about the MF a good little tractor.

massey for me mainly down to thats what the farm used, never changed,100 series right up to 600 series, combines to, never let them down,first tractor i drove to, in my day it was a huge market in choice db's fords' early jd's to name but a few but that shiny red paint of a fergy always stood out   

The Majority of FORD 8210's in this country have had an engine change!! but cant say the same about the MF a good little tractor.

The majority of synchro Fords have had the gearbox out as well!! I like all Fords up to the end of the 10 series except the synchro ones, wouldn't look at a Ford or New Holland after that though, Valtra is my favourite modern brand because they're tough as old boots and will take hardship, unlike JD's which just start to go pear-shaped when abused in the hands of contractors and the like.

im a newholland fan myself, i have 3. but they give trouble iom not afraid to admit that, this year we had to put a new sle gearbox in a 1998 7840 and a new gear in a ts 110! not cheap i cant understand how contracts can make money the price of diesel and parts is unreal!

I've just re-read the title of this post.... 'Why are so many forum members so obsessed with Marky Ferguson'......

.... must be his wit, charm, charisma and legendary pulling-power I guess :D :D :D :D

Have you been on the old grapejuice Mandy?

I know it's Christmas but...