My latest "Hair-Brained" idea... see what you think

Lord Ferguson

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thats interesting John... many thanks for the information... I've been doing quite a bit of reasearch on the net today.... it's the pricing thing I'm having trouble getting my head around really...

Any thoughts..

Options appear to be...

Charge per visit

Charge per travel time/distance and per hour

Charge per acerage of farmed land

Once again... all help GREATLY appreciated

i think??? ???

but then you may get more response from set fees?? so charging per visit may be better? ???

Wouldn't a clever chap have worked that out before ordering a new machine and tractor  ::) ::)::)

yes indeedy..  a CLEVER chap would have done undoubtedly  :D :D

thanks Ben  ;) Having researched the competition... it seems they are all doing a little bit of each - so it's difficult to know what way to pitch it at the minute... suck it and see I guess at first  :-\

Mark is the tractor ordered 50k???

Like if you are gonna do distances at all you don't wanna be beat by competition who drive past you in a small lorry do the job and are home for tea before you even get out of the yard, personally i'd think a small lorry with this baler mounted on it in it towed behind it would out do the tractor over and over.

Your call  :D

ps nothing againest the fact that its MF it to me don't make sense having a tractor that other companies who do the same thing have already progressed to a lorry or two or more, and lorry may be cheaper to feed diesel???

Nope... it's 40k Rickaaaay... I get your point about distance... but I don't intend to travel much more than a 15 mile radious of here if I can help it mate  :-\

I guess if I was a lorry fanatic... I'd have bought a lorry  :D :D :D - thank goodness I don't collect wheelbarrows then hey  ;);D

if your only going to do a 15 mile radious of the depo would a standard callout fee be better? :-\

I think it possibly would DP... but I want to make sure we can be "compared" with the competition as well... I'm hoping to get plenty of business from local industry as well as farming  :-\

Nope... it's 40k Rickaaaay... I get your point about distance... but I don't intend to travel much more than a 15 mile radious of here if I can help it mate  :-\

I guess if I was a lorry fanatic... I'd have bought a lorry  :D :D :D - thank goodness I don't collect wheelbarrows then hey  ;);D

Yea i figured that was why u bought the tractor  . . . . . . but from a business point of view . . . why restrict to 15 miles??? thats nothing, how would that pay a baler and tractor?? come on man broaden your horizons, if a man rings you from 16, 17 , 18 miles away are you gonna turn him down??  Didn't think so

26mph = 0.43 miles per minute

average speed is clearly gonna be lower than that

56mph in a lorry (mainroad) = 0.93 miles per minute

I reckon lorry is your better option no matter what way u look at it from a business point of view

Now Rickaaaay don't be childish... would anyone really refuse business 2 miles out of a dedicated area...

kind of you to point it out... but I'm more than aware of the value of fuel and time saving... I currently spend around ?2.5k per week on fuel... so I'm keen to keep my bills as low as possible.. and I'd say we have a sound knowledgebase of logistics here now.

As for your classroom calculations of miles per minute.... you need to come and take a look around here I reckon... we all sit doing 5mph on the A14 most of the time..... so travel time, although I agree would be quicker in a lorry... it's not quite the blackboard calculation you have kindly provided.  ;)

Getting back to the catchment area issue... this service will require direct selling (well... that is certainly the way I intend to proceed initially)... so I won't be sending my salesman out any further than my chosen 15 mile radius initially (which happens to encompass the two highly populated areas of Cambridge and Huntingdon)... so with a bit of luck we'll find a blend of industrial and agricultural business to a level to sustain the purchase of the plant.. and a little bit for our pockets as well in time.

I'm not keen on sharing too much of my business details on here... but sufficed to say..... Histon Produce Co. Ltd. will be supporting any losses incured in the setting up of this new venture - and that can be rather tax efficient in the right circumstances...

Thanks for the input of course  ;)

Business isn't just about making money... it's about enjoying it as well young man - something you should take on-board now... we are only here once... and we spend most of our lives working... I intend to make my day a happy one  :)

Business isn't just about making money... it's about enjoying it as well young man - something you should take on-board now... we are only here once... and we spend most of our lives working... I intend to make my day a happy one  :)

Thats a good point!!!, just wish i could make mine happier! ;):) :)

i know of a few companys down this way that send lorrys out to the farms, then bring the stuff back to a yard and bale there,think they have a tractor and similar machine there, maybe two, as at present they run 3 wagons, its pretty new stuff bar the tractor, old renault, but they run 3 long wheelbase ridgid merc trucks with cages fitted to the flat bed ,just throw the stuff in, might be worth considering mark, for longer trips, even if its just a transit version??

personally i recon you will do ok out of it, its so hard to just burry stuff now on farms like they used to at the end of the day

weve moved an excavator about 9 miles on the back of the tractor and the magnum brought another excavator back from the same yard on the back of the lorry and it took the same amount of time :-\ ,by the time you loaded it and strapped it and farted about it worked out tha the lorry was about 5 mins quicker  :-\ so you wont be gaining that much by using a lorry  ;)

i now its not the same as this but i bet you wont gain much with a lorry  ;)

go for it marky  :):D

so whats on order marky  ;D or have i missed a post  ???

I did post in the "what annoyed you topic" yesterday... but I'll repeat it in here...

The estimated delivery date for the new tractor is now late April  >:( :'( :'( :'( - I am told this could slip forward... but SHOULDN'T slip backwards... so fingers crossed  :P

I'm off for a photoshoot sometime this week with my baler and a local farmers tractor... IF Dan the salesman can sweet-talk him... I'm hoping to get some shots so I can do some artwork and website design before the delivery day... Would be niuce to kick off with some punters allready on the books  :-\

I've been doing some homework and it still seems to be a good idea..... Gav (our Norfolk agent  ;D ) has also made some progress as well  ;D

I've designed a logo.... but not sure if it's what I was really looking for  :-\

just a thought Marky, if your going to do it on farms or at someones businesses wouldn't in be better to say "on-site" recycling rather than "on-farm" or are you just going to to farms now?

Good thought... we'll be just trying out the farms for starters... but if we do dip into industry... then we'll have to change it I guess  :-\

Hope that comes off with taking the baler to the tractor like your new one, at least that should put our concern to bed over the lift capacity on it :)

Can only see a red cross where the logo should be :-\