ANYONE AN AUTHORITY ON PLOUGHING WITH A TRAILING PLOUGH

BC

Bill,

To keep the mould boards from rusting cover them in grease. Was at a farm recently and the plough was in the shed and the mould boards were covered in grease. Would have come andwatched if I was at home but not home till start of April.

Yes that would be the best way to keep them clean Rob but I though I might try to buff them up further prior to the event so I was considering the mess factor of trying to get the grease off with paraffinn before putting the buff back on.

Just checked your other post bill and realised it is in may at BA country stores, but alas I am away then as well not due back until 21st May

Ah thats a pity Rob I'm sure you would have enjoyed the event....never mind one less FTF member to laugh at my attempt at ploughing  ;D ;D

To keep the mouldboards from rusting, instead of greasing them, which is rather messy, you can get what they call mouldboard varnish which is like a laquer that you either paint or spray on, available from your agric stores.  Covering them with plastic bags for long periods will allow 'sweat' or condensation to collect and the boards will rust just as much as if you left them bare.  I remember that we used to grease our plough and it was left out, trouble was, we had to keep greasing it because cows love the taste of grease and used to lick it off if they could.

To keep the mouldboards from rusting, instead of greasing them, which is rather messy, you can get what they call mouldboard varnish which is like a laquer that you either paint or spray on, available from your agric stores.  Covering them with plastic bags for long periods will allow 'sweat' or condensation to collect and the boards will rust just as much as if you left them bare.   I remember that we used to grease our plough and it was left out, trouble was, we had to keep greasing it because cows love the taste of grease and used to lick it off if they could.

Thanks for the comments powerrabbit. I would not have though grease would have been good for the cows though unless made from animal fat ??

Might not be any good but they will still lick it :D :D

It was said curosity killed the cat but I wonder are cattle curious or just down right nosey ???

After eating grease Ican image there would have been no dung spreading to do ;D ;D

In response to your 1st question. I am not an authority with a trailing plough, but with me deeres I have an authority on trailing A plough ha ha

Very good Modelfarmer but can you keep it in straight lines or do you suffer from the Marky Ferguson curved syndrome ???

• 3 weeks later...

Nice plough, worth a tidy bit.  Agree with the 'black bags', get some mouldboard varnish and spray them over, comes in spray cans I belive, available from dealers, farm stores, Vapormatic and Sparex. May be from Bepco as well.

• 1 year later...

Hows the ploughing going BC?

Another book you may like to consider is Tractor Ploughing by JC Hawkins, a MAFF/HMSO publication. Covers trailed, mounted and reversible ploughs in the edition I have, third impression 1971 of the fourth edition 1962. First published in 1940, so early editions may only cover trailer ploughs. Via Abe books. Couple of pics :)

IMG_4021.jpg

IMG_4022.jpg