Straight Through Exhaust Pipe

Cameron

Hi

I have a Ford 4610 and it has the exhaust pipe with the silencer on it, i saw some pictures on the internet recently with some 4610's with straight trough exhaust pipes on them. i know that some tractors have them as standard and they give off a lovely sound but i was wondering if i could put one on mine seeing as i am hoping to replace the exhaust system sometime soon?

I think you will find that the straight through pipe tractors have been blown (had a turbo fitted), that was the usual reason for a straight pipe on the 10 series tractors, 7810's inparticular ;)

I have seen and heard one on a standard 6610 and to say it was incredibly noisy would be an understatement :-\

I owuld agree with Gavin there - you will only blow your head of listening to the straight pipe engine especially on anymore than 1400 - 4610's aren't the quitest either even with the standard exhaust - in fact I always think our 3600 is much quieter than the 4610. On some tractors with turbo or a 956 you can't beat the straight through whistle ;D

so if i have this turbo fitted how much will the engine horsepower go up by?

and would there be a difference on the amount of fuel it guzzles?  i suppose thats a bit of a silly question really :)

I hate to tell you this but a turbo doesn't come cheap and can sometimes cause premature engine failure. Given the condition of your 4610 I would leave her how she is, there are very few about in that condition now, she needs preserving

have a look at this one gav, 15000 hours and still going like a clock with no troube at all., straight pipe now fitted,straight from the turbo!!

I did say in some cases not all as a mate of mine had 2 turbo'd 7810's, both started suffering engine problems due to it at relatively low hours ;)

I've never been a fan of bolt on turbo chargers.

Thinking back to my days with a Ford truck dealership; the turbo 360 engine was identical in appearance to the 330, 360 non turbo, the 380 and 385 engine, but that was where the similarity ended. Take a look at the parts book and you would find that the internals were almost all different from the normally aspirated engine. Different valves and valve timing, different head gasket and bolts, different pistons with a different compression ratio and rings. Stronger con rods, crankshaft and main bearing caps, and most important of all; an uprated oil pump to keep the engine and turbo well oiled. The fuel injection pump was calibrated differently, and the injectors were set at different pressures from the standard engines.

When I had my own workshop; a customer of mine asked me to fit a turbo kit to his 2.5 DI Transit. I fitted it, upped the fuel output, fitted a Shogun intercooler with an electric fan to assist charge cooling. It really did get up and go........well......for about six months. One day he brought it back with the engine knocking when it was pulling. I dropped the sump, and couldn't see any problems at first so I decided to drop the crank bearings. Still nothing wrong until I dropped the rear main bearing cap. Oh sh1t, it came off in two halves. End of engine.

Some engines will put up with an aftermarket turbo without problems, some respond better than others regarding power output, some sound better but often the only real benefit is a shiny stainless steel straight through exhaust that sounds like it has a piece of scaffold pole for an exhaust. I still think it is better to go and buy for example a Ford 6810 than blow a 6610.

As they say, " You pays yer money, and takes your choice".  ;):)

Some tractors can handle turboing though - Fiat 110-90 for instance - I have never heard of any turbo ones giving problems and I know of one with 26k hours still going strong and over 20k of those with a big contractor ;)

Same engine is in the F140 and 140-90 ;)

We had an aftermarket Garrett fitted to our previous TS115 - was on there from new, we bought it with 2800 on the clock from a big farm / contractor. Even on the stock pipe the whistle was lovely. And she ran at 127 on the dyno at the shaft, pulled like a train and smoked like me, so it was definitely worth having.

The bearings did fail in the turbo at about 3250 hours [oil dribbling down the block one morning, bugger!] so had a replacement turbo and carried on sweet as a nut. Engine itself seemed to handle it well. Not sure I could have coped with a straight through on it though, was loud enough with the can under the bonnet still in place!

Would have loved to have turbo'd the previous 7810, that would have been a great tractor. Concern on that was for the transmission though. Don't think the back end would have handled 120 horse....