Some classic Scania's and vintage trucks

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That Alfred Cheyne one is an early one, she's a 460. Lot's of tag axles, wonder is they are all ex forest wagons.

Scania 6x2 tags mate for traction and manoeuvrability you can't beat 'em ;) ;)

I know mate, it puzzles me to see all these twin steers on brick and block, lowloaders etc. Road tax isn't it?

No I think the Tax would be the same for any 6x2 at 44 tonnes ???

I remember back when I was a fitter a bulk operater bought a Merc 2538 6x2 when he found out that the midlift axle was fitted in the UK he asked to have it fitted behind the drive axle :o There was a bit more work involved as the drive axle had to be moved forward but it turned out to be a really good lorry ;) It was the only Merc he had though as you can just go to Volvo and Scania and get one 'off the shelf'

That Alfred Cheyne one is an early one, she's a 460. Lot's of tag axles, wonder is they are all ex forest wagons.

That DVLA website tells me Alfie Cheyne seniors Scania H12 ALF was first registered on 1st December 1999 Tris ;) ;)

Scania 6x2 tags mate for traction and manoeuvrability you can't beat 'em ;) ;)

Unfortunately it was rather wet  and soft in the lorry park area and when Alfie decided to move he managed to stick. Young Alfie came along with a steam engine and attached a chain and started to pull him. Us onlookers kept back for the fear of the chain being jolted by the engine and breaking and lashing out towards us or on to the Scania windscreen. Those steam engines are not the smoothest things at starting off and attaching a bar to the telescopic forklift would have been the safer option in my opinion.

In addition the Scania T488 ASO loaded with the Crawler and the AEC recovery truck could not get traction to get away in the soft. Young Alfie went to the rescue again with his steam engine and chain but just stood and scraped and had to give up. The telescopic forklift came along and pushed with the forks at the back of the low loader and that as enough to get him started and away.

My pal and his driver got out now problem with the T cab and the 143 with the tags ups but they were not loaded at the time.

Well the latest Scania to arrive at my friends yard is this V reg circa 1980 290 HP 10 speed 111. Wrong front grill and cab and drivers wing needing attention but excellent body and tackle on the back. Engine runs well but hydraulic clutch not working and PTO not engaging. Needs a liitle bit of TLC me thinks ;) ;)

60709001.jpg

60709002.jpg

60709003.jpg

He ain't worried about parting with cash is he?! Will the D stay original then, it's hellish tidy.

The Ford D is not my friends Tris but I do know the chap who owns it. It was used to haul laundry around a large hospital so hadn't really been out on the roads to get the salt etc. It is very very tidy for such a loory but he is not convinced he will keep it. he has one of those 3 wheel Scammell Scarabs i think the name is which he wants to get restored.

Well I was round past at my friends yard last night and hoping that I would see the 111 moving about but alas not since he is waiting for clutch parts. He has been able to get front wings from the Scania factory but only the front halves so it looks as though he will have to fabricate the rear parts.

He was showing me this brochure which he has been lent.

80709008.jpg

80709009.jpg

80709010.jpg

80709011.jpg

80709012.jpg

80709013.jpg

Nice looking old brochure   Bill   

Is this to act as a guide to restoration of the ex First machine

Well yes Ian since he can only get wing fronts not rears.

I have a folder full of brouchures like that somewhere ??? I hope your going to keep us updated on the restoration Bill ;)

Oh yes I will do Mark. he is really quite excited about this one. Has ordered a repair kit for the clutch and hope that works because if not he has been quoted around £ 500 for two parts for it. But as I said the motor is no good to him if it can't turn a wheel ;) ;)

I see in photo  bottom rear quarter of nearside has been plated up , seems to be a common place where these cabs rot out  , at side & rear  panels

What someone has done is a botched job. The wing doesnt look anything like the one in the brouchure

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There is nothing nicer than the sound of a V8 Tris. Sandy Kydd is no longer trading and this example is currently owned by Gordon Riddell of J&G Riddell timber hauliers from Glenkindie. Gordon deals a bit in selling Scania's these days so heavens knows where this beauty will turn up again. It was being exhibited by Lyall Strachan at our local rally at the Milton of Crathes. Lyall is the one who has recently acquired the Roadless Dexta  which he was also exhibiting at the show.

What?! No longer trading?!! No way? He used to run Claas gear into a dealer a lad I worked in New Zealand worked at. INfact the place where Brian works. Oldmeldrum?

I was away with Stuart on a recovery yesterday and he was saying that Gordon Riddell bought all of Sandy Kydds Scania's and repainted some for his own fleet and onsold some of the others including the T cab. Gordon is now doing the combine removals. In addition Stuart was saying that the driver of Riddels existing T cab put it off the road on the nororious Slug road which runs from Banchory to Stonehaven. The driver managed to get it out himself with the double drive and also his crane but apparrantly the cab is in one hell of a mess...even more  so than it was before ;) ;)

Misc09042009.jpg

Well Tris a numbers question ....could be a difficult one for me  ;) ;)

Off the top of my head I don't know other than I know he has 5 working ones in his recovery fleet and the Scania 111 in work in progress. As for the classic and vintage collection I have to do a list. And then of course there are are stock in trade ones that he buys and onsells. I get back to you on this one Tris.

Archived