Some classic Scania's and vintage trucks

Following on from F-P's post yesterday and the picture of the long nosed Scania I attach a couple of photos of a friend of mines latest purchase. It an G reg Scania and is bought to replace the Magnum in the Heavy vehicle post. He plans this to replace the Magnum but later on keep the Scania a classic in his classic / vintage truck collection.

MG2Etc024.jpg

MG2Etc025.jpg

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Next up is an older E reg Scania. Another V8 but this is registerd for private use and is used to pull a smaller low loader to take his vintage trucks to the rallies. To the left of this is a Mercury Tug used at the airports which is being converted into a Scammell look alike for his son Lewis. Lewis is only seven so it may be a while before he can drive it himeself ;D ;D

00097b33.jpg

879c2fb9.jpg

Next to the tug is a Seddon artic unit in Makeson Stout liverly. There is also a tanker for this at another location. Behind that is a Foden S21 "Mickey Mouse" 6 wheel tipper done in the liverly of my pals father's old  haulage business. That was A A Walker & Son Limited Bucksburn Aberdeen. I think this is a D reg and is one of the first to have a tilt cab. It used to pull a trailer too. Behind that ... you won't see it is a J reg long nosed Mercedes done in the colours of Claben the fish hauliers from Aberdeen. Next a Scammell with the "bicyle" front wings.

Oh I have just noticed there is an unrestored 4 wheeled Foden with Mickey Mouse cab behind the Scammel. pictures another time when i can get close to it ;D ;D

98cc787a.jpg

fd28aa2b.jpg

Moving on to the right is a 1930's ERF in USHERS livery. And yes do you see the rear wheels of a Farmall ;D:D. It's a Farmall M but it doesn't match the standard of my Farmall's ;D ;D

Moving on another one "owned" by Lewis and he has his name on it. A nice little Albion with the Farmall M aboard. Be a year or two before Lewis will be able to drive this one ;D ;D

7a47c248.jpg

bb120e40.jpg

Thats quite a collection he's building there Bill!

That's only one shed at this yard Jason. More unrestored outside and also more sheds at his garage down the road ;D ;D

I must apologise for the quality of the pictures. Not easy is so cramed conditions. I'm afraid he would not take them all out for a photoshot last night... he was more concerned at going away and making some money doing a recovery ;D

Certainly has some interesting stuff in there  ,, I dont suppose there are an awful lot of those Seddons left about . :o

I haven't seen many artic unit ones. Another  local chap has a 4 wheeler flat bed circa 1960's but not the same model as this one.

Oh and my pal has no Ford transcontinentals Iain only a Ford D series 4 wheel drive ;D ;D

Wow fancy seeing an local (long gone) brewery truck in a shed in Scotland!! Ushers of Trowbridge  that is Bill, closed down ten year ago I think but the name carries on as a Pun lease holder. Love the Scammel and the Foden, my type of classics as is that Seddon.

Both the Scanny's are tag lift I see, tag lift and V8 .... they're as much the kiddies today as they were in their hey-day  8)

Wow fancy seeing an local (long gone) brewery truck in a shed in Scotland!! Ushers of Trowbridge  that is Bill, closed down ten year ago I think but the name carries on as a Pun lease holder. Love the Scammel and the Foden, my type of classics as is that Seddon.

Both the Scanny's are tag lift I see, tag lift and V8 .... they're as much the kiddies today as they were in their hey-day  8)

He bought the Ushers one as it is and has only added whisky barrels as a load. Its so original and has a worn look to it he plans leaving it as it is.

He has another Scammel which is in the garage workshop and is currently undergoing restoration.

On Foden's well he is to them as I am to Farmall's  ;D ;D He uses them for work and play and has quite a few other's lying outside and also down at his garage. I'll try and get some more pictures for you ;)

He only acquired the Seddon this year and that was from / via a local livestock contractor who needed and or wanted  to sell it to buy a lovely Albion and drag for around ? 30k ??? ???

He all excited about the newest Scania. Having to repair some rust around the front windscreen etc but otherwise a tidy motor for its age. he prefers tag axles given the tight places he has to go.

And on the V8 front what a roar from those twin chrome stacks on the newest one  ;D ;D

Does he have - I must hold my breath for fear of over excitement here - a Scammel Explorer?V8 roar. . .. as close to an unbeatable engine note you can get I reckon  :o8)

That's the big six wheel drive one isn't it Tris ??? ???... if so no ... well I mean not yet  ;D ;D

The biggest classic wrecker he has which isn't used very often is a ex army 8 wheel drive AEC Militant. Slow on the road so if far away needs to be taken on the trailer. Ideal for going into fields for winching though ;D ;D

I know where there is 6x6 one of those, ex army with a HIAB behind the cab - all original. Hell of a truck.

Yeah the Explorer is a big 6x6, was the mainstay of the REME's recovery fleet for many years and my late Grandads regular drive while he served with them.  :)

To own one in REME colours would be a dream come true for me, kind if in memory of.

I know where there is 6x6 one of those, ex army with a HIAB behind the cab - all original. Hell of a truck.

Yeah the Explorer is a big 6x6, was the mainstay of the REME's recovery fleet for many years and my late Grandads regular drive while he served with them.  :)

To own one in REME colours would be a dream come true for me, kind if in memory of.

Go for it Tris and get one.... remember there are no pockets in the shrouds ;D ;D

Does he have - I must hold my breath for fear of over excitement here - a Scammel Explorer?

V8 roar. . .. as close to an unbeatable engine note you can get I reckon  :o8)

Tris ... my pal knows of one 6 wheel drive one for sale and not too expensive in his opinion. Its on the other side of the valley from us only a few miles away.

Some of the vintage stuff stored outside. Behind the E27n is a Foden tipper which is quite rare. In National coal board livery. To the left under the cover is a Guy.

e418813f.jpg

Next a Atkinson

ceb620f6.jpg

Bill stop it, she'll kill me!! I have my tax return to fork out for and a deposit to sort out in the nearish future. . . :-[ But. . . . Grandad used to drive Explorers to Scotland and back on training excercise, I could retrace his route . . . . No, Bill you must stop!! On another classic truck note, I've some pics to put up this week including a beauty of a Rolls powered ERF 290 4x2 tractor unit ;)

Bill stop it, she'll kill me!! I have my tax return to fork out for and a deposit to sort out in the nearish future. . . :-[ But. . . . Grandad used to drive Explorers to Scotland and back on training excercise, I could retrace his route . . . . No, Bill you must stop!! On another classic truck note, I've some pics to put up this week including a beauty of a Rolls powered ERF 290 4x2 tractor unit ;)

Ok Tris I won't go and get a photo of it for you then ;D ;D

Archived