Some classic Scania's and vintage trucks

It now 10.15 on Saturday evening but at last he got ready for the show... time for a well deserved pint now... only one though we need to drive tomorrow  ;D ;D

Misc030608026.jpg

Misc030608027.jpg

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like a fantastic job there Bill - he must be a happy man - how is the DAF coming along ???

Not a bad job given the rush to get it finished Colm and he was like a pig in shix on Sunday ;D ;D. It's going to be a working lorry so a whole respray wasn't done only really the new panels and any bad bits.

The DAf well the body has been stripped of and he has made an nice little packet off the scrap alone. Latest thinking is that he is not going to restore it himself but sell it on. It was being loaded onto the trailer on Monday and is going be be the load for Sunday's North East Of Scotland Commercial Vehicle Run run with the newest Scania no doubt. The white Scania is going too and there is a grain trailer behind her.

Misc030608017.jpg

Misc030608016.jpg

Well the latest one to arrive at the yard is this left hand drive Mack. The gear is for scrapping and the lorry will be for resale ... my pal hates the look of it. It's automatic and the lock on it is terrible. The cab is in very good condition though

Misc050608021.jpg

Misc050608022.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

That's my kinda viewing place Mark thanks for posting. On your first post second picture is that white one an International one.. I just can't make out the badge ??? ???

Is that a collector and or breakers yard ???

yes it's an international, he has a couple of them there ;) They are at a small breakdown/commercial repairer yard and next door to that is a unit that restores vintage tractors

Those International lorries are quite rare. Would look great restored and an old trailer with my 3 Farmall's on the back tied down with ropes not ratchet straps offcourse  ;D ;D

Oh Mark you are teasing me now... you need to get into that unit and get some photos please ??? ???

I will do if and when I go there again (it was the first time I've been to the place), they had an International farmall in there which had just been undercoated/primed ;)

That would be excellent if you are ever back there.

• 1 month later...

Well last night after viewing the first harvesting scene I had seen in my area i stopped in past a friend to see how he was getting on in preparation for the local rally at the weekend. He is planning taking eight along so it will take a bit of time to get them all out and washed and checked over.

Anyway not a lot happening here as we admire this rather nice Porsche 3.8 litre 911 . The chap was just out for a joy ride and he didn't stop to help despite being a lorry saleman himself in the past ;D ;D

1382008019.jpg

1382008020.jpg

Anyway back to the lorries. Having same problems as me with my Nuffy and batteries >:(

First out for washing was one of the long nosed Merc's

1382008021.jpg

Next due out was the Micky Mouse Foden tipper with the tilting cab but had one duff battery so a swap out was needed. What  stupid place to have batteries

1382008022.jpg

An easier option was the Leyland Comet and the Shell tanker but by this time it was getting dark

1382008024.jpg

1382008025.jpg

Washed and back inside. What a lovely growl that Comet has it just hunts even when idling

1382008026.jpg

Back inside for the Mercedes. boy not easy without power steering getting that shunted in there... bet Bob has sore arms today ;D ;D

1382008027.jpg

Next up was the Seddon with the stout tanker behind but by this time it was getting just too too dark

1382008028.jpg

1382008030.jpg

Well it was definitely getting late so young Lewis decided he had had enough strapped himself into the landrover and promptly fell asleep bless him... and that green boiler suit it ain't a john Deere one its a Jaguar one ;D ;D

1382008031.jpg

here you go Bill an old Leyland thats been restored ;)

Just spotted this picture again. I presume that is a Clydesdale 16 tonner. I took my HGV course and test in a Leyland Cheiftain, (1974) same cab as that but the artic version. Leyland 410 engine? Six speed constant mesh gearbox, Albion double reduction axle.

Not long after I passed my test I drove an "Ergo" cabbed Leyland Super Comet with the 400 engine and six speed box with a splitter. For its age it was a great truck to drive, especially after the Ford 'D' series I normally drove. The Leyland felt like it had been designed for driver comfort. Fords were designed to a price.

Memories again.  :)

Just spotted this picture again. I presume that is a Clydesdale 16 tonner. I took my HGV course and test in a Leyland Cheiftain, (1974) same cab as that but the artic version. Leyland 410 engine? Six speed constant mesh gearbox, Albion double reduction axle.

Not long after I passed my test I drove an "Ergo" cabbed Leyland Super Comet with the 400 engine and six speed box with a splitter. For its age it was a great truck to drive, especially after the Ford 'D' series I normally drove. The Leyland felt like it had been designed for driver comfort. Fords were designed to a price.

Memories again.  :)

I just think that Leland Comet is a great wee motor Will especially with its hunting engine bark. He still has to get round to getting the sign writing down on the tanker though.

• 3 weeks later...

Well its Friday afternoon before the Deeside Steam and vintage show at Milton of Crathes and my pals's loory shed is nearly empty.

3182008013.jpg

All thats is left

A Mickey Mouse artic Foden

3182008008.jpg

A  Scammell

3182008009.jpg

A Mercury tug

3182008010.jpg

And oh is it a powered cycle or a motor cycle.... A James  ;D ;D

3182008011.jpg

A rather tired looking AEC but it does actually run

3182008012.jpg

The last two of the eight loories to make their way to the Milton 5 miles up the road

The Clayben Mercedes

3182008014.jpg

And the Mickey Mouse Foden 6 wheeled tipper

3182008015.jpg

Got to ask Bill, why was the old Fodens that shape know as "Mickey Mouse"?

Too good a question for me that one Mark but I will find out. I think they have a cracking look to them.

Got to ask Bill, why was the old Fodens that shape know as "Mickey Mouse"?

I'm not sure, but a lot of them had black front wings and with the cab shape, window shape etc the first quick glance reminded you of Mickey mouse, bearing in mind we are talking about the early sixties when Disney characters were popular. It was just an easy way of identifying them in much the same way as we know AEC's like the green one above as "Ergo cabs" Leyland, AEC and Albion made a lot of publicity about the Ergonomically designed cab. It was designed to be a great place to work, as up to this time, little consideration was given to drivers. It was a great cab to work in as I used to occasionally drive a Leyland Super Comet with the same cab. Happy days.  ;):)

• 3 weeks later...

Oh look another 143 Scania arrived at the yard but its not joining the fleet just being taken down to Perth this weekend for some one

1492008013.jpg

The other 143 all loaded up and ready to go to the Scone Palace rally at Perth.

1492008012.jpg

I suspect we must be going to get a lot of snow in Aberdeenshire this winter. the latest addition to the collection / fleet a snow blower

1492008080.jpg

1492008081.jpg

1492008082.jpg

Love the Scania Bill, that snow blower looks a bit of a beast with an intresting twin front axel on it. what make of truck is it based on?

I'm not too sure Mark other than it says "all wheel drive" on a badge on the front. Looks kinda "Bedford ish" to me but I will get further details from my pal and let you know.

thanks Bill :)

No problem Mark. I just hope we don't have to use that kinda vehicle for snow clearing this winter. I don't know what he is planning to do with it maybe export it to a country with more snow than we get  ... he really is a lorryholic and can't resist buying trucks and lorries. ;D ;D

::) ::)::) many nice trucks, there is a lot I never have seen in DK, if I came across the sea I would like to see them, thanks for posting :o :o :o

Glad you enjoyed them. Seriously if you are ever accross in the UK ( sorry Scotland ) don't hesitate to let me know since they are only 2 miles from me by car or 1 mile walking. My pal runs a recovery business so someone is usually available 24 / 7  ;D

Archived