Some classic Scania's and vintage trucks

His Scania is looking very graceful, Bill. Your friend has done a superb job with her. Was he tempted to accidently forget hehad to take the Streamline elsewhere?  :D

Well she wasn't looking so good on Sunday Tr is since she was covered in mud. The guy who took her to Perth got stuck in the field on Friday evening and they had to get hauled and shoved into the commercial line up on Saturday. The lorries on the back were not even unloaded. Again for the homeward journey the chap had to get a haul on to the hard standing. I saw my friend on Monday and he was mega hacked off with the mess....even having to remove the wheel trims to remove mud from behind them. Me thinks he wished it had never gone to Scone Palace this year.

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eeek! I know these things are sent to try us and cannot always be helped. However, I wouldn't have left that for someone else to sort out. Especially if it wasn't mind.

Well Tris I think he was glad getting someone to take the load down from him since he also had to take his jeep and caravan down. It was late when they got back on Sunday so it was the last thing on their mind to wash the lorry. In all fairness Lyall the driver does help out gertting them ready for the shows. Just one of those things with our terrible British either.

Ah I see, I thought you mean't he borrowed on his own and then just parked it up on his return ;)

Oh he would not lend it Tris.... he's got a American plate inside the window now saying " you are dreaming it... I'm living it"

Love the Scania Bill, that snow blower looks a bit of a beast with an intresting twin front axel on it. what make of truck is it based on?

That name and picture confused me Mark... anyway its a Commer summit or other second name began with a P.... I think but I can't for the life of me remember. Stuart said there were also Dodge ones made.

• 3 weeks later...

The latest Scania to arrive at my friends yard is a 93M 220 HP L reg which had been converted to a "Chinese Six" for use by the local caravan and portacabin company. The lorry has been off the road and lying for the last five years is not staying and is only on route to Autherarder where the person who bought it is after it for the hiab.

c7b6c68d.jpg

59494d6b.jpg

28359e15.jpg

3d1b03a6.jpg

cb09d202.jpg

4cedad87.jpg

Oh you could well have Tris they have an artic and another 6 wheeler on the road to transport home their caravans.

We often see caravan/mobile home transporters down here what with the south coast, Devon, Cornwall, New Forest and the likes. .

We often see caravan/mobile home transporters down here what with the south coast, Devon, Cornwall, New Forest and the likes. .

Oh well Tris you might even see it again if someone decides to restore the lorry.Seems a shame rally not too.

• 3 weeks later...

Well on Sunday it was such a nice day I decided to see if me father wanted out for a run in the car since he still isn't allowed to drive yet after his recent hip replacement. Away we went and up to Banff and then Macduff and accross to Fraserburgh and had a rather nice Sunday lunch in The Fraserburgh Leisure Center the place where the Fraserburgh vintage rally is held on the first Sunday of June each year.

Parked up in the car park were there rather nice classic showmans lorries so I just had to have a nosey at them. Apologie for the sun in the 3rd photo... quite amazing being so nice in a costal town at this time of year and in fact it was warmer then the rally day in June ;D

A Foden 4350 Artic E reg circa 1987

1d103daf.jpg

A Volvo FH12 N reg circa 1995

6ed3ca68.jpg

ERF D reg Circa 1986

b63f4a0b.jpg

Yes Tris the showmen loved their ERF's and Foden's I suppose because of the "rust free " fibre glass cabs. Things must move on though as the older model's and spares dry up but yes I have to agree the Volvo was in good nick in fact stunning really for her age. 

Glad you liked them Mark. I heard over lunch that the fair had to be closed down because of the high winds on Saturday so for me just as well or I might nought have been able to catch them  ;D ;D

I think the credit crunch is beginning to hit Mark certainly that's what they are saying on the sales side up here in Aberdeen. In addition one of the largest paper mills in the area Tommy Tait's at Inverurie may be closed in 3 months time with the lost of around 400 mill jobs. If that happens that will effect the hauliers too since there are a lot of Aberdeen hauliers who work out of that mill.

I think the likes of Craibs will ride it out bill they seem to be the main haulier from international paper, the oil work keeps them busy and the do all the transport for Baxters at Fochabers as well. Some of the smaller ones may be affected, also effects the wood hauliers as well ???

Yes things are bad. I was speaking to my pal last night and he said that he had been offerred a 2 year old Volvo artic unit for £ 40k. he still was snapping it even at that... perhaps he is scared the recoveries will dry up or maybe it just hadn't the Scania badge on it ;D

I think the likes of Craibs will ride it out bill they seem to be the main haulier from international paper, the oil work keeps them busy and the do all the transport for Baxters at Fochabers as well. Some of the smaller ones may be affected, also effects the wood hauliers as well ???

They also do/did a lot for Aggregate Industries hauling back stone products from Gloucester / Wiltshire. . .

They also do/did a lot for Aggregate Industries hauling back stone products from Gloucester / Wiltshire. . .

They still do Tris have seen them with the block trailers on the back several time last was when I was at home last month.

Very true Bill not sure how the guys who run wood for the likes of Jones will fare as they are mostly owner drivers on contract to Jones.

Archived