Some classic Scania's and vintage trucks

Some repairs needed to the gutter on the rear too. Now in the process of being piped up for the hydraulics for the trailer.

Couldn't resist showing you the Farmall M which has been decanted from the Albion since it was off to a show at Alford yesterday entitled made in Scotland. Unfortunately I didn't have time to go.

MG2Etc029.jpg

MG2Etc030.jpg

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just hope he gets on with it Tris and doesn't get too many recoveries to hinder him. I'm dying to get away for a run in that one ;D ;D

Image he's even taking today off as a holiday whilst poor me is working away here on FTF ;D ;D

Been some shunt arounds in the shed so now the Leyland Comet and bicycle wheeled Scammell are now exposed. In the other shed a 6 wheeled "Mickey Mouse" Cab Foden in the livery of Carruthers of Dumfiies. This one has undergone a engine rebuild but has yet to get the cab restored and body made.

MG2Etc028.jpg

MG2Etc032.jpg

I do have a soft spot for that Scammel, it's a great litt truck :)

I had a laugh about that Scammell last year. One of his drivers was taking it down the road 4 miles to Peterculter to get a hot steam wash but was problem getting gears with it. He was traveling so slow one of these chaps in a pedal cycle took racing past much to his embarrassment. My pal advised him that there was a problem with the gate but ity would go into top gear but just try a little harder. Well he took my pal to his word rammed into top and in the process broke the gear stick I think the smile on my pals face  was knocked away when his driver walked into the bothy with the gear stick in his hand ;D

Them old gals need a bit of persuasion to get them to do what you want!

I must admit, reading the last line of your reply made me laugh. . . . not that I could see innuendo in it or anything :D :D

Them old gals need a bit of persuasion to get them to do what you want!

I must admit, reading the last line of your reply made me laugh. . . . not that I could see innuendo in it or anything :D :D

I found it extremely funny hearing the two sides of the story from my pal and his driver Tris ;D ;D

Well last night I was away with my friend to start an old lorry at Porthlethen. On the way over he was telling me he had made an offer on a D reg (1986) DAF 3600 lorry from an oil service company. He made the offer 6 months ago but since then the lorry had got bashed in the yard with a forklift and the ignition keys had gone missing. He wasn't too happy about this but anyway it was time to get it moved from the yard. We arrived at the yard and the lorry was a 6 wheeler which had been converted for use as a hot oil cooler. He connected the 24volt battery pack to the existing batteries then tried to hot wire the ignition switch. No such luck no power to the cab. Checks were done so power was getting from the batteries to the insulator and also from the insulator to the starter but only groaning over. Next strep was to attach two additional twelve volt batteries and hot wire the stater and low and behold the old girl burst into life. We were packing the tools and stuff away when she dies due to fuel shortage. That+ was easily remedied by bleeding it and starting her up again and then bleeding the injectors apart form the one at the front. We sat a while and gradually the air built up. I thought the intention was them to go back to Drumoak for the low loader but no you don't get revenue from self recoveries ;D ;D. So it was on with the trade plates and the intention was to leave it a a friends a few miles away. Off we set with me following in the Landrover. Boy of boy old Daffy wasn't half blowing out the black reek as she climbed the hills. Anyway we passed the place i thought we were going to and then we stopped half a mile up the road. It was running so well he decided better just get her back to Drumoak some 10 miles away over a really narrow country road. Off I set in with the Landy up front and headlights on stopping near any corners to stop any oncoming vehicles. Lady luck was shining us last night and I only had to stop a couple of cars on the road. We were now on the main road so it was full steam ahead to Drumoak. A lot of work needs doing but my friend says they are areally scarce model these days and he regets selling the last one he had which he used to pull a trailer to take his trucks to rallies. Well wether he gets round to this restoration is a nother matter since he has many ongoing projets. At least he will recover his money selling the pump on the back and scrapping the other gear ;D ;D

AMCUB001.jpg

AMCUB002.jpg

Nice lorry there Bill will look great once it is all done up.

Should get a bit for all that gear on the back.

I take it they used to use it for doing hot oil flushes on pipework?

I guess so Rob. I work for an oil service company but must admit to being ignorant as to all the kit does..... I just count the numbers ;D ;D. We did stop before we got on to the back road and up behind us came Tommy Drellan the chap in charge of Q Serv at Porthlethen. He was on the way home and he had spotted the lorry and recognised it as being one they built up many years before they sold out PSL. In fact he said to my pal they would be interested in buying back the pump so they could cross section it and use it for training purposes. Tommy doesn't deal with that side of the business but it is his brother Mike who is a great steam engine enthusiast.Anyway Tommy told my friend to give Mike a call and see if they could do a deal.

Now there is a bit of classic gear - always liked those older **00 DAF's ;D

Used to be a very popular cattle truck combination with either a 1900 or 2100 ;D

You don't see many of those on the road nowadays Colm. I'm sure it raised a few heads in Aberdeenshire last night ;D ;D

My friend had a DAF Artic unit 3600 many years ago and was ex Grampian Country Chickens of Aberdeen. He loved it before he discoverd V8 Scania's ;D ;D

He used the Daf for pulling a converted car transporter to take his other trucks to rallies and shows.The DAF started getting a bit rusty cab wise and he sold it on and it ended up being exported to Africa. He and three other "diesel heads" went to a truck show in Assen Holland many years ago with that old DAF and a 4 wheeled Mickey Mouse Foden and an Austin Loadster. I think they enjoyed every minute and only sufferred a trailer tyre blowout on the way home.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh well some work is happening on the DAF 3600

The nasty dent on the front nearside has been fixed  ... bumper yet to do. It took my friend the bulk of last Sunday to do that he tells me 

AMCUB003.jpg

Now the scrapman has been busy ;D ;D

AMCUB004.jpg

AMCUB005.jpg

Some of the new panels fitted to the latest Scania. It's entered for the show at Fraserburgh this coming Sunday... somehow I don't think it will be ready in time ;D ;D

MG2Etc.jpg

Well yesterday the repairs were completed on the Scania and the masking up in preparation for spraying had started. Still a bunch of work to do including spraying the wings and all the panes and spoilers which have been removed. Me thinks it won't be ready for the show on Sunday but it got to be ready by the following Sunday for the North East of Scotland Commercial Vehicle road run.

Misc290508001.jpg

Misc290508002.jpg

Misc290508003.jpg

Well last night the Scania was not much further on than the day before. Too busy with the recovery side of the business he tells me. It certainly won't be ready for the Fraserburgh show at this rate. Looks like the older Scania with the converted trailer will be used to haul the Mikey Mouse Foden tipper and the wee Albion to the show.

Misc300508001.jpg

Misc300508002.jpg

I'm looking forward to seeing that Scania finished  :P

So am I Mark and even more so getting a run in her ;D ;D. All the wings and panels that have been taken off have to be repainted too so he needs to get his finger out since it will take a while to put everything back on. I'm sure he will make it for a week on Sunday since he is dying to take this one out on the North of Scotland Commercial Road run which he is a co-organiser of.

http://www.roadrun.org.uk/

Well it's 4 ish on Friday afternoon and the paint job has been done... it was a late night last night I'm told

Misc030608001.jpg

Next the windscreen boys arrive... that job didn't take them long ;D ;D

Misc030608002.jpg

Misc030608003.jpg

Oh no what he dreaded a recovery call to pick up a car so its down to the garage for the small crewcab pick up and spec frame but low and behold it wouldn't start so a larger than normal motor would have to be used. Whilst trying to get it going I caputured some pictuires specially for Tris and Adam

Misc030608004.jpg

Misc030608006.jpg

Also this rather nice original Bedford lorry

Misc030608005.jpg

It now Saturday evening around 9 pm and the Scania is beginning to take shape. It doesn't actually look much different to the first post other than the change of colour on the bull bar ;D

Misc030608023.jpg

Archived