Grow your own...!

Andy

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ah ok sorry.............anything compostable we throw onto the farm midden so i suppose in a way yes and in a way no as i have no  designated compost heap.

yes  PR i know a guy who used the jar of sugar water trick to enlarge his marrows , mine was still bigger  :D;), the huge pile of steamin dung was the difference  so im with you all time on natural is best. :)

good plants Robbo, far in front of mine , ive no chilli`s tho  just a  big  heap of herbs  oh and the tomatoes  with a friend.

• 2 weeks later...

A few updated pics for you now, everything is now up, potatoes are doing well and might have some radishes for next weekend. Got the greenhouse up and running now with tomatoes, cucumbers and marrows in. Went for a 10 x 6 as they were on offer with a free base and free delivery for £25 more than an 8x6 so seemed a good idea :D

DSCN0778.jpg

DSCN0780.jpg

DSCN0781.jpg

I know what you mean there, no where I could put a bigger one really though without some landscaping being done. The white wall there is south facing so its an ideal site, the building will give in shelter from the north winds in the winter

• 2 weeks later...

Its not always easy to find the time Robbo but I often just do a bit evenings, doesn't take long.

A few updated pictures now, everything is growing fast now, especially the pigeons (soon to develop lead poisoning ::)) as they stripped every brassica plant in the garden >:( Radishes are nearly all gone now and I have sampled a few early spuds ;D

09052009011.jpg

09052009012.jpg

09052009013.jpg

09052009014.jpg

09052009015.jpg

09052009016.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

A few updated pictures now, stuff is growing like mad. One row of early spuds have gone now, got enough for about another 10 days by which time the next lot will be ready :)

25-5-009007.jpg

25-5-009009.jpg

25-5-009008.jpg

Not veg i know but I have also planted up an old cottage garden bed with Lupins, Delphiniums, Hollyhocks, Foxgloves and Astilbes......

25-5-009005.jpg

....along with a "Rambling Rector" rose to plug the gap up where this damaged fence panel is, panel will be replaced with trellis this week

25-5-009006.jpg

Actually Marky they're your old nose warmers, Mrs F said you'd outgrown them so I could have them ;D:D :D

They've kept the pigeons off though as the beggars strripped the plants within a week of them going out >:(

You've got more chance of seeing a flying pig than me in shorts Jo :D :D

• 2 months later...

A couple of pictures of the Saxon second early potato's I lifted today, this lot came off 20 feet of row, some were quite a size too :o;D

The red ones are one root of Kondor maincrop :)

001-1.jpg

002-1.jpg

good lookin crop gav.........fraid lots of tatties  round our way have suffered at the hand of mother nature.........cold wet may, flaming HOT june was too hot and dry following on from that the muggy damp spell we had didnt help , nor has the cool wet spell we are into  now.....2nd cuts are so far very wet in the main, with some soil contamination ..hop[e you guys are faring better down south