Steiger Cougar

CX820Joe

Question

Bought the latest issue of Classic Tractor today and pleased to see another Steiger feature in this issue following on from the one last month about the company that imported them; I was wondering if the Britains Ford FW-30 could be converted into one of these, or would it better depict a later model?  I know there have been 1/32 Steigers before but I don't know very much about them to be honest; I would love it if someone released a Limited edition model based on one of the UK ones in the articles, if it could easily be based on the FW-30... :)

5 answers to this question

Bought the latest issue of Classic Tractor today and pleased to see another Steiger feature in this issue following on from the one last month about the company that imported them; I was wondering if the Britains Ford FW-30 could be converted into one of these, or would it better depict a later model?  I know there have been 1/32 Steigers before but I don't know very much about them to be honest; I would love it if someone released a Limited edition model based on one of the UK ones in the articles, if it could easily be based on the FW-30... :)

as far as i know joe , the only difference to the FW's were the paint work, i dont think ford had any design changes made to them

as far as i know joe , the only difference to the FW's were the paint work, i dont think ford had any design changes made to them

Thanks Marcus; I think from what I can gather, the Cougar was lower powered so essentially would be equivalent to the FW-30 whilst the Panther was 350+ bhp and became the FW-60; so that would mean no problems to use the Britains FW for a Cougar...

The Ford FW series tractors were based on the Series III Steiger Panther, but fitted with Cummins V8 engines ranging from 210 hp in the FW20 to 325 hp in the FW60 , whilst the Steiger Panther had a Cummins 6 cylinder inline engine rated at 310 or 325 hp. However the upgraded Euro spec FW60 had a 6 cylinder Cummins rated at 325hp. British FW 's were also fitted with an optional 5.7 ton capacity three point linkage built by Dowdeswell.

The ERTL Steigers and FW's use the same casting, so ignoring small details a simple paint job should produce a Steiger Panther series III.

I'm digging this old topic up because I've just looked at a FW30 model and it has a few differences from the real FW30s I can find pictures of. The rear mudguards and cab steps/mudguard section doesn't seem to match the Ford model ???

To me, the FW30 model looks structurally more like a Steiger....did any FW30s (early ones maybe?) look like the Ertl model?

FW30

DSCF5321.jpg?t=1245339185

DSCF5531.jpg?t=1245339187

Steiger

Steiger1.jpg?t=1245339222

Steiger.jpg?t=1245339241

post-17-132639108817_thumb.jpg

The Cougar is a ST series which is the manual transmition.  The FW is bassed off of the PTA frame which used the Automatic transmission.  Ertl didnt/doesnt have a PTA frame yet so they used this to do the model.  Its not right by a long shot really as the hood is even longer..but its still a decent model.  I just wish someone would make a detailed 855 cummins motor. :)  Or even an N14.