CMB

Hi, I'm Chris and this is my first post on the forum.

I started collecting about age 5 in 1985, amassing a huge amount of vehicles, animals, barns, gates etc. Most were sold in a car boot sale for very little (I was naive and this was before internet auction sites) including a nice orange Fiat 90-90 DRW. I kept about 20.

After viewing a few nice items on Ebay about 8 years ago I decided to buy a couple (including a r&b tedder), but stopped there. I've started up again this year when I saw the new releases (Ford 5000 etc). I'm now really into the vintage stuff, trying to get the tractors I wanted as a kid; models I would have wanted as a kid but wasn't aware of; and replacement parts for existing items.

Now, having spent practically all of my life savings (literally) on these darn things, I'm still going strong (though slowing), and hope to complete my collection soon. Currently concentrating on fixing with the intention of selling, in the hope of recouping some of the money I've spent.

I'm interested to learn the depth of people's knowledge on here as there's little info on Britains on Ebay. I should have logged in ages ago! CB

Welcome aboard Chris. Have a look at the Events board for upcoming shows, you'll solve many a mystery at these. Glad you took the time to introduce yourself. You have found the premier site for farm model collectors and with it a huge amount of knowledge and info. Just don't ask me! :D:)

Regards, Tris.

Welcome indeed. Tris is right, don't ask him, unless of course you want to see one of the best layouts on here then I suppose you could talk to him  ;)

Where are you in the world? There are toy fairs dotted all over the country, world even, so you will no doubt be as surprised as I was to learn that there will be something fairly local to you which will answer all your questions and provide you with all the spare parts you could ever need.

2 of the big ones are coming up soon, Toytrac at Wincanton and Tractor 2008 Autumn show at Spalding, Lincs.

I did Spalding spring show but if I get the time I think I'll try Toytrac this autumn, Tris will be there with his layout so it will be worth it for that alone.

You're of the same vintage as Tris and I so I can relate to your coming back to it and getting perhaps a bit more involved than you at first thought you would :D Unfortunately you will find that this is in no way a self help group to quell your urges to spend all your hard earned.... it is the complete opposite and will force you to spend even more.... you wait till you stumble across the limited run FTF & Model Farmer magazine models, worse still, Dave Purdue's classic Fords.... PDC's custom & scratch built Deeres..... Three Oaks' trailers.... ooooh, it's gonna get pricey  :D :D :D

Have fun

Simon

Thanks for the welcome guys! I'm in little ol' Stroud in Gloucestershire. I'll be spending what little time I have bothering anyone who's in the Britains room (though I'm a bit quiet so you may have to ask me to speak up!)

So what are these model shows like? Are most sort of mini toy fairs with your usual agricultural sale going on next door?

Toytrac at Wincanton and the other one at Spalding are dedicated farm model shows. There is a general toy fair at Shepton Mallet which coincides with the vintage tractor show. Another toy fair takes place at Malvern too.

I have been spreading pooh up Aston Down this week sorry about the smell chap! :D

Thanks for the welcome guys! I'm in little ol' Stroud in Gloucestershire. I'll be spending what little time I have bothering anyone who's in the Britains room (though I'm a bit quiet so you may have to ask me to speak up!)

So what are these model shows like? Are most sort of mini toy fairs with your usual agricultural sale going on next door?

Not that far out then, you want to aim for Toytrac, handy for you to get to.... Have a look through this topic on the spring show at Spalding..... http://www.farmtoysforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=21669.0 ..... gets me fidgety just looking at it  ::)

Toytrac at Wincanton and the other one at Spalding are dedicated farm model shows. There is a general toy fair at Shepton Mallet which coincides with the vintage tractor show. Another toy fair takes place at Malvern too.

I have been spreading pooh up Aston Down this week sorry about the smell chap! :D

Oi! You're getting a bit far north there Fry, get ye back into Somerset....  ;):D

Oi! You're getting a bit far north there Fry, get ye back into Somerset....  ;):D

no we really dont need the smell here either, so off back to wiltshire with you  :D

welcome to the forum CMB often up round your way, i'll wave every time i go to stonehouse  :D