Custom Built Tractors

britainswomble

For a long time now I've harboured secret longings to build a customised tractor. (1:1)  We've seen Fordsons with V8 Perkins engines, and various  industrial engines, but I have a few ideas of my own. I would like to build something that has a practical use, as well as one for fun.

Here are a few of my ideas:-

1- To fit either a Daimler V8 2.5 litre engine, or possibly a Rover V8. The Daimler appeals to me more as it's a smaller more discreet looking unit, and also a very nice looking engine. It's quite powerful, about 140 bhp and sounds great..............Er, this one's for fun only, but I bet it would bark with a plough on the back.  ;D

2- To take a Ford 3000 or a 4100 with the bubble cab and fit a TW 10 engine into it. I wouldn't have thought it would be too difficult to do bearing in mind how interchangeable Ford parts are. I would want it still able to be used for agricultural purposes, and imagine the later tractors would be better to convert with the 4000 back end, which has wet brakes and a Hydraulic engaged PTO, and a better hydraulic system that would allow fitting of assister rams. I reckon it would be of great interest at a ploughing match.  :P

3- A Super Dexta (Blue / grey) with a six cylinder Perkins engine. Something like the 6.354. There are loads of them laying around in old combines and can be bought cheaply. Most have done very little work. Again I would like to keep it standard looking so it could still work.

The picture below was taken at Ardingly last year and has a Volvo Truck engine in it and combine wheels. The converters did a superb job on it. To me; that is spot on.

MasseyVolvo1.jpg

Do you have any ideas like this................. take a seat and tell us your ideas.  :)

Interesting topic Mr Birthday Boy...

I guess powertrains are matched to the engines to a certain degree.. so a beastly engined tractor would not work too long before the drivetrain failed... that said.. I guess grip is another thing.. keep the wheels standard and they would just slip more  :-\

Never was any good a physics  :-[

So... It's GOT to be the AV8 640 perkins... in my little 410... I'm up for it if you are  ;D:D :D

Interesting topic Mr Birthday Boy...

I guess powertrains are matched to the engines to a certain degree.. so a beastly engined tractor would not work too long before the drivetrain failed... that said.. I guess grip is another thing.. keep the wheels standard and they would just slip more  :-\

Never was any good a physics  :-[

So... It's GOT to be the AV8 640 perkins... in my little 410... I'm up for it if you are  ;D:D :D

Realistically, an oversize engine wouldn't really allow a tractor to do any more than the original unit was intended to do. As an example, a Ford based tractor such as a 4100 originally 52 hp with the 4000 back end wouldn't normally have anything much bigger than a lightweight three furrow reversible on the back like the Ransomes TS 83, a TS 300 or the Dowdeswell DP 8? The weight on the rear would be the limiting factor for traction, although you could weight and ballast the back. A set of 1400 x 24's / 14 x 30's would give you a fair amount of traction, without overloading the transmission.

Again PTO wise I wouldn't expect it to do more than the PTO clutch was designed to do.

Appearances and the joy of owning something different are the main attraction to owning something like this.

As regards modified vintage tractors go, I;m quite happy for people to make hybrids of them if there are plenty of them around and it's done in such a way that the tractor can be put back to original spec without any trouble.

As regards your choice of the Perkins 640; I've never had any dealings with them. I've rebuilt a 540 and worked on 510's. Two of my favourite compact engines suitable for putting in tractors would be the V6 or V8 Detroit two stroke and the Cummins V6 or V8 that Fords fitted in their trucks in the early seventies. I also like the idea of something like the Cat 3208 that was fitted to the mid seventies Whites and New Holland SPFH's. That was a real little snorter.

All I need now is another lifetime and a massive win on the Euro Lottery. (Read what it says on the bottom of my post about dreams )  :)

Have seen some IH 955's with 1455 engines, MF 699's with 6cyl turbo engines from combines and also a Bedford lorry converted to look like a MF 1200 (in fact the guy had 2)

We have our own conversion - Ford 3000 Super Dexta with Ford 4610 engine

We had loads of different conversions over the years mainly fordson and nuffield based lots had been crudely converted but none the less worked! but the best one i ever seen was a 2wd ford 5000 with county engine fitted you would think it was orignal it was so well done!

when i think about conversions the best are the tidyest ones in my eyes. i have plans for a DB conversion in the future myself i want to convert a 1412 im going to fit a DB 1694 engine into one.

regards

james,

Have seen some IH 955's with 1455 engines, MF 699's with 6cyl turbo engines from combines and also a Bedford lorry converted to look like a MF 1200 (in fact the guy had 2)

We have our own conversion - Ford 3000 Super Dexta with Ford 4610 engine

A nice simple straightforward and very practical conversion. Just imagine what it would sound and look like with a TW 10 engine. Great for ploughing matches,  :P;):)