Incy wincey spider.... climbed up... er.... my Russian Vine

Lord Ferguson

:D :D - I've always been fasicinated by mother nature.. and my garden is not big enough for cows of pigs  :-[:D :D

Me too, same here, we have a large garden, but no feild ::). Had some lambs tho............. you could always buy a feild Markey, sowhere for Fanny and frankie to play too :D :D :D :D :D::)

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know I said I am not terrified of spiders any more but...

Last night there was a large house spider lurking on the wall by the bed.  No way am I getting into bed with THAT over my head. 

Off downstairs to get a pint glass and lo - another, much larger one on the ceiling above the stairs.  Get the stepladder and managed to trap bedroom spider in the the glass.

Into the bathroom and there is a HUGE one in the bath...

Enough is enough.  Spider 1 is still in the glass, spider 2 has disappeared and spider 3 is still in the bath. Ughhhhhhhhh!

• 1 month later...

just seen this topic,..I was checking the car oil the other month and there was a spider web across one corner under the bonnet and a wasp flew near it and the spider rushed to the centre of the web and was lashing out at the wasp with one of its legs, it reminded me of the old T-shirt slogan with 2 vultures,one saying to the other "Patience my ass,I'm gonna kill somethin'".

Would the spider be immune to the wasp sting if it had become ensnared in the web,I wonder?

I always leave spider webs in the factory to help control the flies,though I get very few. But I love swatting the big blue bottles with a thrasher-kit box when I wait for the kettle in the afternoon. I swat them and then throw them into a spider web and the spider will rush out and grab it, who says there's no such thing as a free lunch!  ::)

Well... here is my fly story... are you sitting comfortably...

YEARS ago... during the war... well... in about 1989 I had landed my first decent job as an operations manager for a big food company in Cambridge.... being the fresh faced new manager I was given the horrible office downstairs near the reception desk... now just outside my window were the bins (nice  ::) )... so when I had my window open in the summer months the big blue bottles would pop in to visit.

I had a collection of rubber bands (thanks Postie) which I would spalt the flies with... eventualy working my way up to a hit rate of at least 3 out of 5 shots (try it next summer... it's great fun)

Anyway... As I had been given permission to get 'any stationaty I neded' to kit out my new office I decided to spend abut £250 (a lot of money in the late 80's) on a dry wipe board with a graph type background  ;D - I'd plot my number of kills per day and per week on this 5ft x 8ft graph - which I have to say looked quite impressive.  It clearly showed an improvment as my aim got better - and also an increase in flies as the summer rolled on  ;D

I still remember the MD's face when he poked his head around the door to say good morning.... the conversation went like this..

Morning Mark

Morning Peter... how are you...

Peter: Fine thanks... I see you have a new graph on the wall... what is it.... ???

ME: (Quick as a flash)... Ah that... well it's very complex Peter - it's my pounds sales verses miles distance ratio graph

Peter: Oh... how does that work then

ME: Oh... it's hugely difficult to explain the formula Peter... it basicaly shows the efficiency of the fleet as a ratio to the mean average of the total, excluding the franchisees but including sub depot activity

Peter: Ummm... so... is it good...

ME: It could be better..

Peter: So should it go up or down - which is good

ME: Oh up is always better Peter

Peter: (Looking confused) Oh I see

Following this conversation he would pop his head in on the odd occasion and say... Ummm the graph looks good Mark..

;D:D :D

• 3 months later...