Incy wincey spider.... climbed up... er.... my Russian Vine

Lord Ferguson

Oh no, that is not right - spider do a lot of good work keeping down flies and other insects.  I am not that happy with them but I will never kill one.  Evict the occasional house spider to the bus shelter across the road perhaps although the little blighters usually try to race me to the front door!

well in that case sue , the spiders in my house must be incredibly PC with non stick webs of very inteligent flies as we've had loads of flies , & spiders but none caught in webs  >:(

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 days 4 hours 17 minutes and ABOUT 33 seconds Marcus...

Sue... i can just see that race across the road with Incey Wincey edging in front... Sue takes him over the front gate.... Incey races for the door... Sue just edges over the front step... aaaaaaaand it's a photo finish  :D :D :D

here's a question for you sue , spiders dont get caught up in their own webs like flys & the like but can other spiders get caught up in each others webs , & approx how long does a web stay sticky ?

The answer is that I don't really know.  I remember reading somewhere that spiders webs are made from both sticky and non sticky threads.  The builder knows which are which in order to avoid them.  I have seen spiders caught in webs and if you break a web they sure run fast.

As for the race - one very nearly beat me  when I evicted it into the back garden.  I just managed to shut the door before it jumped the threshold.  Oh yes House spiders can jump quite high.  I tried to put a glass over one in my lounge and it lumped at the last minute - fortunately it jumped into the glass as I had it at the right angle.  Actually it was a pint beer mug because it was too big for a normal glass to fit over.  I called it Shelob!

I'm on a quest to learn about spiders now... I've received a 'spider identification chart' in the post yesterday... not had time to read it all yet.... but it looks blooming interesting...

As for that 'appendage' on Incey Wincey... it's got a name... I'll google it when I get home as I can't remember it just now  :-[

I'm on a quest to learn about spiders now... I've received a 'spider identification chart' in the post yesterday... not had time to read it all yet.... but it looks blooming interesting...

As for that 'appendage' on Incey Wincey... it's got a name... I'll google it when I get home as I can't remember it just now  :-[

Spinnaret

Well I was in the shower this morning and got  the fright of my life when this little guy was at the window!!! He looked at me as if to "what you doing in my bathroom!!!"  >:( >:(

Anyway, to cut a long story short he has now gone down the plughole  :D :D

DSC_4827-1.jpg

:D :D :D - oh Jez... I have never laughed so much in my life... you bloody nutter  :D :D :D - that's brilliant mate....  :D :D

Would frighten me too...  :o :o

Although... he's quite a handsome little devil when you stare at his eyes.... all of them  :D :D :D

Thanks for the laugh...

No worries mate, day off today so thought i would atleast do something productive today.

P.S I didn't really flush him down the plug hole  ;) ;)

Ooo no thanks Bill.... mind you... it's good for hayfever evidently... but late for that this year..

Now then.... Sue... the 'thingy' on the spider is called the epigyne .. see here... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epigyne

Belive it or not... that's the FEMALE reproductive organs - turns human thinking on it's head doesn't it...  :-\ :-[

Well I was in the shower this morning and got  the fright of my life when this little guy was at the window!!! He looked at me as if to "what you doing in my bathroom!!!"  >:( >:(

Anyway, to cut a long story short he has now gone down the plughole  :D :D

DSC_4827-1.jpg

I´ve never seen that kind Jez  :D :D :D :D :D that was good mate :);)

Ooo no thanks Bill.... mind you... it's good for hayfever evidently... but late for that this year..

Now then.... Sue... the 'thingy' on the spider is called the epigyne .. see here... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epigyne

Belive it or not... that's the FEMALE reproductive organs - turns human thinking on it's head doesn't it...  :-\ :-[

Just shows how you should never jump to conclusions!  ;D ;D

Lovely Sue... it's a proper Zoo at your house.... I'll have to get my spider chart back from little William (who I gave it to yesterday  :'( ) so we can idenfity her... er... him.... well.... it...

You better get it back Marky - lots of identification jobs for you.

HUGE Wolf(?) spider in the garden yesterday and Shelob's grandchild (much smaller than Shelob herself) in the utility room sink this morning which still needs to be rescued (and evicted)