Incy wincey spider.... climbed up... er.... my Russian Vine

Lord Ferguson

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How can I put this politely to a lady..

He (it)... has got a certain appendage on the underside that led me to believe it was a he Sue  :-[ - it can be seen in the fly munching photo's  :-[

Mind you... looks more like an elephants truck to me  :-[:D :D :D

That's the spinnaret - where the thread for the web comes from.  Goodness Marky you have one-track mind and are confusing the youngsters

Now then.... Sue... you were right I reckon... on both counts...

1. It's clearly a common spider... also called the cross spider (this one was livid !)  :-[

2. It could well be a female as well... as this one was about 10mm across her bum...

:-[ and  :-[

see this link...

http://www.uksafari.com/cross.htm

Apologies on both counts Sue

Now then.... Sue... you were right I reckon... on both counts...

1. It's clearly a common spider... also called the cross spider (this one was livid !)  :-[

2. It could well be a female as well... as this one was about 10mm across her bum...

:-[ and  :-[

see this link...

http://www.uksafari.com/cross.htm

Apologies on both counts Sue

Apology not required, Mark

Actually I used to be really terrified of spiders and could not stay in a room if I could see even a tiny one in the farthest corner.  Now I can pick them up (with the exception of the big house spiders that still give me the heebie-jeebies). Cross-bearing spiders used to be my bete-noir because they have a habit of spinning webs across pathways and I would have a fit if I walked into one - they are always at  face height for me! Not too much of a problem any more thank goodness

Havn't kept track with this Topic after my little Hobbit Chapter. The photo's you have taken though Mark are superb. Just shows what you can do with a camera and everyday, otherwise mundane daily objects. We all look in wildlife books and love the photo's we see but regardless of content, photo's just as good can be taken in your own back yard. As you have proved :) :)

Thanks Tris... I must admit... I have 'the bug' (no pun intended) to get a few more 'back garden nature' pics in the future - To be honest.... there is little skill involved in taking 'close ups' but HUGE skill in taking pics such as the harvest scenes and 'RDF scenes' we see on here.

Thanks for the kind comments guys... I'll be snapping plenty more in the near future - but perhaps that's not for this wonderful model forum really  :-\

Now... where is that earwig - he's next on my hitlist  >:(:D :D

Ear..... I could do a 'fly on the wall' documentary  ;D::)

I'll get my coat  :-[

:D :D Marky there is skill in close ups , i couldnt take them that good. Nice pics :) :)

thanks buddy.... I sent them to a nature forum and the owner has said he wants to put one of them on his site... I was quite flattered really...

In all honesty... seriously.. it was just having the right kit... and a big lump of luck mate really  :-[ - but thanks for the kindness anyway

Don't praise him up to much Adam his head's big enough already  :D :D :D

you are still cross over my comment last night about living at home still with your mummy arn't you... I can tell  :-[;D

Great pics marky. Theyre the sort you see in nature books etc.

Thanks Kris... kind words buddy... as above.... just luck really mate... that's all  :-[

Happy days living at home no one to answer to like the rest of you under the thumb boys come and go when i like fall in the door at good knows what time no kids pestering me no wife nagging no cat to annoy me no what time do you call this where you been what you been doing  ::) ::) yep i can't think why I'd want to get chained down  :o:D :D oh yeah and its on tap down the road to  ;D ;D :-X :-X

hmmm............ interesting topic mark , having looked at the pics & read carefully what's been said i have come to the conclusion that has been what i've always thought is right .............................

stamp on it

the only good spider is a dead spider  :)

...stamp on it

the only good spider is a dead spider  :)

Oh no, that is not right - spider do a lot of good work keeping down flies and other insects.  I am not that happy with them but I will never kill one.  Evict the occasional house spider to the bus shelter across the road perhaps although the little blighters usually try to race me to the front door!