britains in year 2008

ford man

• 1 month later...

Hello, I am 29 and started my collection years ago with britains, it is only the last 4 or so years i have discovered siku and UH, i think Siku is by far and away the best on the market at the moment for value for money and choice, UH implements are good, but at £25 a throw (claas quadrant 3400, amazone trailed spreader, lemken solitaire etc) they will be few and far between on my shelves.

I used buy all britains itemswhen i was younger but dont bother with them at all now. After i got the Renault Cergos from britains i thought never again. now i only but old obsolete britains

Same here. I can't pinpoint when exactly all the models started going downhill as they were still making great models alongside the cr@p ones in the late 90s-mid 00s, and old 'favourites'* get re-released occasionly, but in terms of craftsmanship the new generation seems lacking.

*presumably models that sold well?

CMB

I have a britains land rover discovery 3, and in all fairness to them there is as much detail in that as you would expect from a UH vehicle, even down to the interior, and I think they have had a winner with the simba solo to...

I have a britains land rover discovery 3, and in all fairness to them there is as much detail in that as you would expect from a UH vehicle, even down to the interior, and I think they have had a winner with the simba solo to...

I agree there, but the only things is is that its four years old. When that and the Keenan came out I thought Britains were well on the way to a proper comeback but other implements haven't really matched them.

SIMBA SOLO? GOOD?!!

Pah!!!

It's typical Britains development is that. Get it looking right, good scale, good detail, raise and lower axle and drawbar, folding for transport. .. oh hang on, let's just make it so that one part folds for transport. We'll leave the other bits rigid. No one will notice. ...

Well done, yet again!!  ::)

it is a fair point, my prev post was a bit negative so I was trying to re dress the balance a bit...

to be honest mate, there isnt any point!, they have sunk so low they cant see the light!, they really need to pull something out of the hat in 2009 or once again they will be the laughing stock of 1:32 models >:( >:( :'( :'( :'(

I had a bit of a surprise at ToyTrac.... I bought George [2 yrs, 3 months... ;)] a TIM JD 6820..... I hate to say it but for 5 quid it comes closer to the holy grail Britains seem to be chasing, the playable display model.... or the displayable toy, whichever, than anything I can think of in the current Britains catalogue. It's sturdy, looks good, nice tyres.... and it came with a driver!!  :o;D OK, the front linkage is rubbish and the rear linkage is a bit chunky, but at least it works, and neatly too..... I might cut it off and put it on my T7060.. ;)George has thrown it down the stairs, across the slate floor, sat on it, and guess what, still good as new.... now give him a 7930 to play with and it would be toast by now..... This is what irritates me about Britains.... George can't play with it and neither can I!  :D

hit that nail dead center mate !

thanks for the reply bill , you time is much appreciated .

Maybe we're all expecting too much i know what we gain in durability we'll lose in detail & vice versa , but c'mon RC2, siku have struck that happy medium for a fair few years now , & i think it's a shame that with ertl as the parent they cant do the same for the britains brand .

i think siku made a bad call in stopping the tim's range

as per usual german engineering comes top of the list again

I had a bit of a surprise at ToyTrac.... I bought George [2 yrs, 3 months... ;)] a TIM JD 6820..... I hate to say it but for 5 quid it comes closer to the holy grail Britains seem to be chasing, the playable display model.... or the displayable toy, whichever, than anything I can think of in the current Britains catalogue. It's sturdy, looks good, nice tyres.... and it came with a driver!!   :o;D OK, the front linkage is rubbish and the rear linkage is a bit chunky, but at least it works, and neatly too..... I might cut it off and put it on my T7060.. ;) George has thrown it down the stairs, across the slate floor, sat on it, and guess what, still good as new.... now give him a 7930 to play with and it would be toast by now..... This is what irritates me about Britains.... George can't play with it and neither can I!  :D

i agree with that because i have the tim jd and it was my first model tractor and i was very pleased with it you can drop it and it wont break but with my britains jcb fastac i dropped that and the rear wheel hub has cracked  >:( >:(

I must say Im disapointed in 2008 turnout and the north american/prairy monster castoffs anouncments

for 2009 what RC2 have to remember they bought a EU/UK brand not just a

north american brand I thought they where getting back  in 2007 with the ford 5000  range i thought they would add to that with more classic tractor brands unless they are holding back a suprise for 2009

sorry about the cropping im on my PSP ::)

I know this topic comes up time and time again with regards to poor opinions on current RC2 product but they really are listening and people should not read too much into the initial announcements for 2009. There is a great deal of projects nearing completion and I can't see any reason why they would not appear next year (Summer).

it is a fair point, my prev post was a bit negative so I was trying to re dress the balance a bit...

No worries ;) I was bordering on sarcasm while raising a point. I do like it in the work position, some hyd hoses would finish it off. Just a shame like I say, it isn't fully folding.

I know this topic comes up time and time again with regards to poor opinions on current RC2 product but they really are listening and people should not read too much into the initial announcements for 2009. There is a great deal of projects nearing completion and I can't see any reason why they would not appear next year (Summer).

Let's hope it's something we can look forward to. I think RC2 are pretty lucky in the feedback we give them, most manufacturers know nothing of what their customer really wants until they either 1, commission a very expensive and hit and miss marketing study or 2, go bust.... so yes, we ***** like hell.... but at least we don't charge for it!  :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi fordman, I completely agree with what you are saying, I'm 23 have grown up farming and ever since I remember I have had britains, and yes you could walk into a shop and you would be in it for hours just decided between a tractor or implement. I have also converted to siku, They started to make very basic tractors and have since grown and grown, I'm afraid to say that I wouldn't buy Britains anymore I have completely lost interest in them, The only britains I buy is the old stuff on ebay.