britains in year 2008

ford man

Hello all well im ford man from ireland and im writing this topic because im sickined and appauled about the way britains are acting for the last few years on the way they are producing and selling models as well as the quality of them.

Im 26 years of age and i wasnt brought up on a farm but had loads of interest in tractors and machinery that worked the farms in ireland.The first model that was bought for me was a britains and ever since that i have been hooked on the manufacture.I remember as a child walking in toy shops and looking at the selves of tractors that at the time which where al britains and as a chold seemed to go up t0o the roof of the shop.These models back then wher properly made and where like the ones i saw working around me.

I wrote many times to britains about models i would like them to make and far dues to them they wrote back but i never seen one of my suggestions made bar one... the ford 7000.

Britains have lost it now.Quailty is poor, not a enough models being produced every year and the models they produce i never see in a million years working the land round me.Siku,in my eyes are the best at the moment and i hate saying this but its true

Maybe people reading this mite not agree with me but id like to hear more back on this topic.... thanks ford man

I think your thoughts are echoed by a few members on here, and releases this year do appear to be slower. I do know however that there will be plenty of new and interesting items coming in 2009 so hopefully this will go some way to enhancing your opinions of the Britains brand.

You are indeed not the only one to hold this opinion ford man.... I think a straw poll across the forum members would show that a huge swathe of us have taken up the hobby again as a result of a childhood filled with top notch Britains models, and that many have now defected to UH or Siku after discovering that 'they don't make 'em like they used to'....

However, as the forum grows it's holding more sway with the manufacturers and Andy has built a good relationship with RC2 and ensures all our legitimate whinges and suggestions get put across to them regularly.... You've come to the right place!

All the best and welcome,

Simon

Don't worry Ford man, you're not alone at all, in fact I'm almost exactly the same as you - didn't grow up on a farm but got into collecting through Britains and living in the county, like Fords too, only difference is I'm 24!

I'm always optimistic that Britains can turn it around though, they have shown signs in fairness.

What part of Ireland are you from?

Does anyone also think that britains dont get toyshops to stock enough of there products. Most toy shops in Ireland (Smyths, Toymaster, World of Wonder)

Should the Britains marketing department be doing more to promote the brand as we only see a very small of selection of their product line in shops now

Add me to that extant Country-Born Britains-Raised Disappointed list  :(

On the pages of the catalogue the Ford 5000 looked the part for me, but up close and compared to the original, it seems a step backward.

Does anyone also think that britains dont get toyshops to stock enough of there products. Most toy shops in Ireland (Smyths, Toymaster, World of Wonder)

Should the Britains marketing department be doing more to promote the brand as we only see a very small of selection of their product line in shops now

I agree with this post, there are very few shops around me that actually stock Britains and they all seem to have the same stock list, JD7930, JCB Fastrack, and Ford 5000. Some also have the Land Rover and Ifor Williams horsebox but that is it. Is it because they are the best sellers or do Britains dictate what they can sell?

Also I don't know anywhere in north Cheshire that stocks Siku or Universal Hobbies so I have to buy any models I want on line. That said, the on line shops that I have used have all been very good, it just adds to the price to have to include p&p :( :( :( :( :(

I agree with this post, there are very few shops around me that actually stock Britains and they all seem to have the same stock list, JD7930, JCB Fastrack, and Ford 5000. Some also have the Land Rover and Ifor Williams horsebox but that is it. Is it because they are the best sellers or do Britains dictate what they can sell?

Also I don't know anywhere in north Cheshire that stocks Siku or Universal Hobbies so I have to buy any models I want on line. That said, the on line shops that I have used have all been very good, it just adds to the price to have to include p&p :( :( :( :( :(

I've noticed a big lack of models in general in UK toy shops since my childhood too. It's a culture thing I think.... kids these days who want to play with toy tractors are few and far between and limited almost exclusively to rural areas.

With the high cost of business premises why would retailers give over shelf space to stocking an entire range with limited appeal to the average punter who walks into their shop?

The emphasis these days is on cheap plasticky imported tat [not that many farm toys are made in the UK these days either!] which I simply won't let my kids have.... I don't want them to be playing with toys where the whole premise is fighting something. It's a massive social values problem we have in this country Mike - which I'm sure in your line of work your are well placed to judge - and unfortunately, along with the economy it's spiralling out of control.

So while there are a few of us who still appreciate that giving a child something to play with which encourages them to learn about something meaningful and use their imagination in a non-violent way, turns them into more upstanding adults, the majority of the country won't spend 15 quid on one tractor and as a result market forces have driven Britains, and every other farm toy, out of toy shops to make way for 'Slutz' or Power Rangers and the dubious moral values they teach....

Wow simon i think you have hit the nail on the head

violent toys seem to sell i.e action figures powerrangers

all the fantasy trip we tend to feed our childrens imagintion

toy guns although they have been out a very long time

farm sets seem to have been put on the back burner as they

arnt as exiting to children ,Blame TV matell ie HE MAN ,ATEAM

any 80s/90s/00s cartoon or kids adventure (most have violence)

Also add to this I think britains lost the plot in 1980 onwards

the box designe etc then those bloody spaceships/aliens

what where they thinking of  ???

chevron jeeps  ;D:D

and i recon they could have done better with the likes of the

TW 20 what size is it realy ? 5610 sized or 8210 sized

and the 2680 massey yes its nice but too big for just one massey

from mid 80s to mid 90s they should have done the 590 into

a 690 in 82 i recon and have unbranded 135s instead of the

unrealistic orange and green massey 595

But to be fair they are listening and trying more than ever

heres to 2009 RC2  ;)

i think straw box items fetch more money as they look better

take the MF 760 combine give me straw box anyday

I think your thoughts are echoed by a few members on here, and releases this year do appear to be slower. I do know however that there will be plenty of new and interesting items coming in 2009 so hopefully this will go some way to enhancing your opinions of the Britains brand.

I really hope that they are not all green; top of range; 4wd and one model becomes a thousand variations on a theme ::)

As regards Internet buying I know it is not the same as going to a toy fair but you don't half save on jungle juice  ;D

when i was younger you went into the local toy shop and they stocked all that was out and there was about eight of each model too. now its two tractors and the rest is bales and spud boxes. the lady in the shop said she can't afford to buy a box of say combines in sixes and have them on the shelve for six months. she said britains are not what they use to be like when her dad had the shop. i really think that britains won't catch up to the others. i've only known of siku for about 10 years and they get better by the year.

I know from my childhood that in Boston (a very rural area) we had two major toy shops and both stocked the full range of Britain to the extent that if you wanted something and they didn't have it they'd get it for you within a week or 10 days. The proof of what was on offer back in the 70's and 80's is borne out by what turns up weekly on local boot sales, I must have 30 or 40 items in the garage that have been picked up this summer alone, and there are 2 or 3 serious dealers on the boots who charge silly money for their goods.

Agree wholeheartedly about the current quality but then again look how farming has changed in The UK over the last 30 years. Gone are the days of farms running 10+ tractors, its now all done by one or two big machines (or contractors) and the implements they tow are becoming more and more specialized. Gone are the days of their being 6 or 7 firms building balers/discs/drills etc, its down to 2 or 3 manufacturers building a limited range of big implements.

I think the moral is to look after what we have, because those early toys were special and will never be repeated.

I agree, britains is not doing it for me anymore this year ive changed to siku as they are more well built, stronger, and better detail and prices can be more resonable. I will still buy britains but i think siku is going to be my first choice at the moment will have to see what they have in 2009.

i think a few of us regular members hear see this topic as the same old same old & thats the trouble , this topic should be rearing it's head less often , i know what we were all bought up with but times do change , from what i see this is how it sits

UH

attention to detail is second to none , but really for display use only so thats out the window for the children

BRITAINS / RC2 / ERTL

this is a double edged sword on one side we have britains whose reputation goes before them as quality toys , but now sadly non durable as toys & minimum detail input on many models released, BUT the parent company ertl makes real sandpit hard wearing tonka strength stuff , but the detail & relationship toward the real thing is either spot on or nothing like , also ertl have a comfortable relationship with JD so everything JD by britains will be very good & other lines less so.

SIKU

seems to be holding the middle ground & has done for sometime , they manage to build the sort of toy that britains should be . they can strike the balance between model & toy with very little difficulty ,enough detail to satisfy the collectors & enough durability to withstand consistant playing with .

so at the moment my head says siku.

but what we do have here at this forum is a door to the people at britains /rc2 & occasionally bill walters from ertl in the US, andy does go to britains with what must be a broken record of the same old grievances , but with enough encouragement & time , they do listen , it may seem like nothing changes but slow but sure the issues you have will be addressed  & when they are we'll all be happy  :)

umm good point marcuss

i was just thinking aswell if you go back as far as the britains catologues from the mid 70s

all the classic stuff is being made again some by RC2 & UH (and then some)

look at the variety for the collector of classics within the last 3 years

uh do 135s,35s,fordsons and so much more

RC2 ford 5000 and other varients classic JDs (dont know if they do the red DB 990 anymore)e.t.c.

i suppose all thats missing is the manufacturers getting the impliments to fit them and linkages

and how long will it be before MF 595 makes a return  all we need  now are loaders ect

the rules have changed in the 70s we only had one main farm toy manufacturer in 1/32 and

that was BRITIANS  now we have UH ERTL SIKU and many more

and all of them are competing for vintage mainstream and classic not to mention all the scales out now

we have lots more variety today than the 70s lets hope it stays this way

i recon RC2 ,siku uhcan all give themselves a pat on the back

I agree, britains is not doing it for me anymore this year ive changed to siku as they are more well built, stronger, and better detail and prices can be more resonable. I will still buy britains but i think siku is going to be my first choice at the moment will have to see what they have in 2009.

i agree, the britains models are not as good as they were. now i bu mainly buy siku and whatever i can. uh is so hard to get over here there is only one person doing them.

I've only just started getting into things again, i too was raised in the country and adored my little Britains empire.

I bought a Case Magnum tractor recently, i thought the quality and detail was really good, although the turning circle was rubbish and the hydraulics seem a bit weak.  Overall i thought it was a really nice model.  So based on this, i bought another Case, a CVX1145 with loader which was a bit of a disappointment.  If i put them both together, its hard to believe they are from the same manufacturer.  The difference in quality and detail is unbelievable, sadly.  I appreciate things change with demand etc, but i would have expected a closer level of consistency.

D

All of your comments are noted.  

Maybe I am not familiar enough with the old Britains items, but the models I saw from the mid-90's didn't seem very good to me.  I feel our replicas today are better than they were 10 years ago, but maybe you are comparing them to models even further back?

Even though I am not responsible for the Britains product sold in Europe, I am responsible for the Ertl brand in North America.  I will put our Precision line up against any competitor.  As collectors, you want all the detail and authenticity a company can give you.  The US collectors are the same way.  For the collectors of the future, a company must also produce toys that can still be played with.  We also do that.  When you start mixing these, there will always be compromises that collectors don't like.  We understand that and we hope you understand that as well.

Thanks,

Bill Walters

Managing Director

Ertl Farm Toys

Bill,

Most of us were brought up in the 80's when it was only really Britains around in the farm toys industry (baring a few items from Dinky & Corgi).

Then the old style Ford 6600 and MF 135 were king everyone had them and they were the bees knees. Then came the Fiat, Renault, MB, Volvo & Deutz and as kids we played for hours in the garden with the nh balers and front loaders. Not forgetting the MF combine  ;)

as Barry Said Bill, the recent models dont have the functionality that the older models and some other brand have. The precision models you have (i have the 8 series JD's) are great ;D ;D ;D, thanks for them!!, but they arent toys really, there quality models for display ;D, its the playfactor of the older models that has also slightly gone in the current 1:32 range, as you know, hitchs, steering circles etc. :-\. Combines you cant get the head to rotate when on the carpet, like the Britains combines of old and the current Siku range. Britains made the 1:32 3 point hitch hsitory, Siku use it, Siku have a great way for the combines to work, can you not get that in use again?

I would agree with that 100%.  The models of the 90's were probably the low point. For anyone to say that the current range is not better is beyond belief.

As you have mentioned the Precision series, I would say that the detail and accuracy of most of the latest 32nd tractors is almost as good. I say most because there is still the odd misfire!

For one 'that' hitch needs improving (what was wrong with the original design?),  and the combine headers need a bit of work too. 

agree there as well, mid to late 90's was seriously bad, although i took advantage and got a few irrigators then ;) ;)

I had a bit of a surprise at ToyTrac.... I bought George [2 yrs, 3 months... ;)] a TIM JD 6820..... I hate to say it but for 5 quid it comes closer to the holy grail Britains seem to be chasing, the playable display model.... or the displayable toy, whichever, than anything I can think of in the current Britains catalogue. It's sturdy, looks good, nice tyres.... and it came with a driver!!  :o;D OK, the front linkage is rubbish and the rear linkage is a bit chunky, but at least it works, and neatly too..... I might cut it off and put it on my T7060.. ;) George has thrown it down the stairs, across the slate floor, sat on it, and guess what, still good as new.... now give him a 7930 to play with and it would be toast by now..... This is what irritates me about Britains.... George can't play with it and neither can I!  :D