Marky's little wooden things... a collection of my woodworking

As I've currently got the woodworking bug again... I thought I'd post all my pics in one topic to save having them dotted around.....

So.. so far I have made (all in wood)... gates.... lots of versions of the spud box... a ladder (thanks to MDF for the idea)... a broom (thanks for Old Massey for the idea)...

You've seen some pics this week which I won't post again... but from here on in...

The Mark 8 spud box... I think I am finally happy with this one... it's an exact copy of the ones I own at work... I've made the end batons extend right down to the ground now and used the thin strip instead of square section for holding it together...  Ideally I'd like to find some nuts and bolts to hold the bases to the uprights.. but they would need to be 0.5mm... I guess that's too fine really  :-\

Anyway... here is the MKVIII

DSC_5927.jpg

And... not seen before..... the ladder.... made using cocktail sticks (thanks MDFord for the idea)...  I've capped the ends as you can see... but made a mess with the superglue as well  :-[

DSC_5930.jpg

For the broom I copied Old Massey's version at toytrac... thanks for the idea Markie... not quite as good as yours... how did you get the brush section shaped mate ???

PLEASE NOTE... NONE OF THE STUFF IN THIS TOPIC IS FOR SALE - I'VE MADE IT FOR MYSELF... JUST FOR FUN - IF I EVER MAKE ANYTHING FOR ANYONE IT'S FOR FREE, ZILCH, NO CHARGE, NUFFIN...

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

looking very good Marky, the broom , i used 3ish mm dowel cut to length .drilled a hole in the middle for cock tail stick, glued in .then sanded the bottum part 3mm dowel to an angle by holding the handle. the brush part i used balsa wood very soft , cut to  shape with a stanley knife. then glued on , then painted black or red. :)

looking very good Marky, the broom , i used 3ish mm dowel cut to length .drilled a hole in the middle for Willy tail stick, glued in .then sanded the bottum part 3mm dowel to an angle by holding the handle. the brush part i used balsa wood very soft , cut to  shape with a stanley knife. then glued on , then painted black or red. :)

Ah.. clever... NOW I see... thanks Mark... stand by for the MKII broom now then  ;):D :D :D

love that brush  ;)  :D, what wood are the gates made of?

Thanks.. and the gates are some 1.6mm slats with 4x3mm ends... I grooved out the ends for the slats with a 1mm router cutter mounted in my pillar drill (and used a cross-vice for accurate cutting)...

very nice Marky, love the broom, may have to attemt one myself :D :D Probly end up with a few less fingers than i started with :D :D :) :) :)

Go for it Ad... and watch those fingers buddy... follow Marks instructions above and you'll be safe enough.... er.... I think  :D :D

Love them Marky  :o :o :o :o your a dab hand with the wood  :) :) :)

right

so i'll take

dozen gates

half dozen ladders

and o about 50 spud boxes  ;D ;D ;D

Thanks....

I think I'd be drawing my old age pension before I got half that lot made mate  :D :D :D:-[

Brywax 'dark oak' wood polish Pete... rub in on with my fingers and use a small brush in the corners mate... put on.. rub it in... then take most of it off.. I leave a few 'chunks' in the corners to look like dirt as well  :-\

Was thinking about doing the ladder as well... what do you reckon ???

Brywax 'dark oak' wood polish Pete... rub in on with my fingers and use a small brush in the corners mate... put on.. rub it in... then take most of it off.. I leave a few 'chunks' in the corners to look like dirt as well  :-\

Was thinking about doing the ladder as well... what do you reckon ???

ye i would do the ladder as well mate will give it that been around for a few years look

ye wood doesn't stay clean long on a working farm. most wooden ladders were always varnished when they were finished to seal the wood to help keep the water out. made a box to those sizes yestarday looks better on the trailer but still isnt as good as yours.

Particularly like the broom. Reminds me of the one we had in the milking parlour, lasted well, had it for 30 years, 15 new heads and 4 new handles and still had wear in it when I sold the cows.  ;)

well the box looks great except for one thing , you stained /polished it  :(

come on mark in all honesty how many potato boxes at your work are stained or polished ?

too dark mate  but i'll take 50 more unstained ones , need to be unstained to stamp the farm name on see  ;) & also to get dirty with real dirt  ;):) :)