opinions wanted for a new tractor

denis086

well after coming to the decision that we need another tractor not by any means a new tractor weve looked at what we need and is  basically as follows

40k gearbox as it will be doing a fair bit of road work feeding cattle on plots a few miles away

4wd i think is nearly nessesary for a loader

a good 3 point linkage that will carry a fair weight assistor arms would be a comfort to know we had it if needed

it will have to pull a 22ft bale trailer and a 12t grain trailer on fairly hilly land

it will be the farms loader tractor so must be suited to it and we are looking for a shuttle for this

i think this was mostly standard on the less recent tractor but it would have a number of brake discs

fitted with a trailer brake

at least 2 sets of spool valves

will be used for topping with 8ft kuhn side mounted topper

might be put on mowing duty if needed using a kuhn fc302 mower

and last but not least a cab that is reasonably comfortable for those cold days and some nights feeding the cattle

weve got a budget of 20k max i think my dad has a fair idea what he is after but your opinions would be appreciated

were looking for about 110hp so the jd would suit but jd are a very big tractor on loaders we had a ts110nice tractor nice puller but no gut on the pto but that could be different on the 115 and the budget is in euros marky i think we would be hard pushed getting a your massey for that :-\

Obviously I'm going to recommend something blue but not because I'm blind to the merits of other brands but because they will likely tick all your boxes as they do ours.

TS115 SLE turbo.

Sub 20k to buy a nice one.

16/16 with fairly good 4 step powershift and clutchless shuttle, later LH reversers far nicer than the original 40 series style RH mounted sticks.

Stick a 40k one on 18.4 R 38's and you'll have something which will do close on 50k.

They're pretty compact for the power.

Adequate rear lift capacity.

Superlux cab, while not exactly the height of technology, is a perfectly civilised place to be and suitably workmanlike.

Droopy bonnet handy on a loader.

Huge choice of SLE's with aftermarket turbos on the market with shuttle, 4 spools, 40k etc etc...

We just traded ours out 12 months ago, '99 plated one. Was a fantastic machine, I had Ravenhill out to dyno it after replacing the turbo and it ran 128 @ the shaft. We have plenty of hilly land and it would dog an Amazone KE303 power harrow deep on heavy clay land with no bother, it towed the trailers brilliantly, although we didn't really have enough weight on the front to stop it donkeying.

I like Deeres but I think they're too expensive. I like Masseys but realistically, for the power you want for the money you're in 6170 / 80 territory and I wouldn't chance one. Hence when we were looking 5 years ago we ended up with the TS, and we'd have it back tomorrow if we could..... the old man and I both wish we'd managed to keep hold of it...

thanks for all the suggestions lads after a scout around a few websites and magazines alot of them high end of the budget we were hoping to have the loader included in that so we might have to look a bit older also we were going to buy the loader new or second hand as many loader tractors from new can be a bit tiredmay dad was looking at mf,nh,ford,fiat

Coming from a dealership I could strongly recommend a Kubota tractor (ME9000, M105S or M108S). Im not sure about the price but I can gaurantee you that money cannot but a more reliable tractor. There ideal for loader work with the hydrulic shuttle, comfortable, powerful and very manouverable. They truly are an unbelievable reliable tractor. We started out as contractors and have ran JD, MF, Deutz, Fendt, JCB, NH, Valmet, Landini.....I reakon at some stage we had some type of all european manufacturers tractors and the Kubota range are by far the most reliable tracotors weve ever had. Check it out and visit a dealer for a look its well worth it

I would say , go round a few dealers, have a look at what's on offer, must be some good deals about at the moment. Ask if you can try it out on the farm, and above all don't listen to any advice you get on here, because its worth exactly what you paid for it.

I would say , go round a few dealers, have a look at what's on offer, must be some good deals about at the moment. Ask if you can try it out on the farm, and above all don't listen to any advice you get on here, because its worth exactly what you paid for it.

have to agree mate, try then buy what suits you best, loads will say pick this type ,mostly fav brands, not what might really be best for you

You need to set aside about 5 or 6k of your budget for a new loader - I would recommend a Quicke myself.

Now Denis given the makes you said - do you want a 4 or 6 cylinder ???

Massey Ferguson - 390T or a 3000 series (I know you already have one so no need to preach to the converted!)

New Holland / Ford 40 series is all you can get - TL's will be a bit small for what you need!

Fiat - The only ones with shuttles are the F series but that is right hand side and not a great loader tractor!

Nice 7740 with loader up in Enniscorthy Motor Company may be worth ringing about ;)

Coming from a dealership I could strongly recommend a Kubota tractor (ME9000, M105S or M108S). Im not sure about the price but I can gaurantee you that money cannot but a more reliable tractor. There ideal for loader work with the hydrulic shuttle, comfortable, powerful and very manouverable. They truly are an unbelievable reliable tractor. We started out as contractors and have ran JD, MF, Deutz, Fendt, JCB, NH, Valmet, Landini.....I reakon at some stage we had some type of all european manufacturers tractors and the Kubota range are by far the most reliable tracotors weve ever had. Check it out and visit a dealer for a look its well worth it

Having spent some of today looking around a Kubota dealer and speaking to a couple of guys who run them, one of the models listed above would be on my 'to try' list in your circumstances.

Very capable tractors in this sector of the market, and being fairly new in the market their dealers tend to feel they have to try that bit harder. They also have a reputation for being very fugal with the fuel.

Framers Weekly have run tests on them several times over the last year or so and spoke very well of them, there may well still be something on the FW website.

There was also a very small report by a farmer using a Kubota in Classic Tractor a while back.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...