for 6 acres?

dwain

a friend of mine has just got a 6 acre field and is naw after a tractor to keep the grass down and a mower he is thinking of getting a second hand kubota.

what do you guys think?

what tractor do you think he should get?

how much would you think to spend for only 6 acres?

how much hp?

what sort of mower to buy?

A decent Kubota is not a cheap way to keep the grass down, nor particularly quick... He would probably be better off with a classic / vintage machine, Dexta, Major, 35, 135, TE20, 2000 / 3000, DB selectamatic, anything like that.... and a little rotary topper to go behind it ... should be able to set himself up for a couple of grand...

A decent Kubota is not a cheap way to keep the grass down, nor particularly quick... He would probably be better off with a classic / vintage machine, Dexta, Major, 35, 135, TE20, 2000 / 3000, DB selectamatic, anything like that.... and a little rotary topper to go behind it ... should be able to set himself up for a couple of grand...

i think that he is looking at a couple of grand.

what should he be looking for when buying a tractor?

Wooo, way beyond what I can do here!! Best advice is probably to start in the classifieds, find something he likes which there are lots of so he has choice, see what they make value wise, find a buyers guide and then go look at a few....

Well... my ten penneth... Assuming you are looking at an MF35 - as that's all you'll get for under £2k..

Make sure it starts ok first and foremost... from cold

Check for oil leaks front of the engine... from the bell housing...

check the hydraulics work well and function properly....

Check the steering is nice a tight... no wobbles or excessive play...

Well... my ten penneth... Assuming you are looking at an MF35 - as that's all you'll get for under £2k..

Make sure it starts ok first and foremost... from cold

Check for oil leaks front of the engine... from the bell housing...

check the hydraulics work well and function properly....

Check the steering is nice a tight... no wobbles or excessive play...

thanxs mate.if anyone else has any info like this it would be much appreciated.

Does he need to do it himself?? Spending two to six grand on a unit that will cost to insure, maintain and run doesnt't seem overly wise.

Also he has the problem of storage - either at his home base, or if outlying needs to ne near groundburst resistant to keep pikeys out - another expense.

A trailed self powered topper behing a 4 x 4 would be cheapest, or get the local haylage people to cut and bale.

If not get a local one man band contractor to top it.  Tris will give a price!!

Yes big attraction of having your own acres and a machine to tend it but a lot of overhead.   If you can afford it yes, but better ways of using the capital.

Does he need to do it himself?? Spending two to six grand on a unit that will cost to insure, maintain and run doesnt't seem overly wise.

Also he has the problem of storage - either at his home base, or if outlying needs to ne near groundburst resistant to keep pikeys out - another expense.

A trailed self powered topper behing a 4 x 4 would be cheapest, or get the local haylage people to cut and bale.

If not get a local one man band contractor to top it.  Tris will give a price!!

Yes big attraction of having your own acres and a machine to tend it but a lot of overhead.   If you can afford it yes, but better ways of using the capital.

he has a 4 x 4 and i did mention that have you got a link i cold look at?

For 6 acres i'd buy a few sheep and save money

;) ;)

1. Sheep will have a calming influence on my life.

Some sheep have been known to give off a special "peaceful grazing" aura, and many shepherds have observed this phenomenon. But sheep can have other, more negative influences as well. Experiences such as "Rams Fighting", "Sheep Sick/Dying For No Reason", "Fence Breakdowns and Escape" all have been proven to erase any calm from your life.

2. Sheep are simple creatures to care for.

Sheep are ruminants, a type of animal with multiple stomachs and an interesting digestive process. This allows for many more opportunities for them to get sick, often by organisms with interesting names (including the well-known "Clostridium Perfringens Type B"). It is important to know your local land use requirements for Farm Animal Disposal.

3. Sheep will provide me with a second income.

This statement is partly correct. If you manage your flock well, and market your wool, breeding stock or lambs for meat, you will no doubt earn income. Unfortunately, this "extra" income will be more than overshadowed by the multiple expenses your small flock will generate. If your definition of second income means "getting closer to retirement", then try telephone sales instead.

4. Sheep will connect me with the land.

You will be connected to your land as you dig dozens of post holes for your sheep fencing; as you kneel in frozen mud to tend an abandoned lamb; as you are knocked down and trampled as your flock charges into a new field.

5. Sheep will mow my grass for me.

Sheep can mow, fertilize and even deadhead in a multi-tasking way. Unfortunately, they will not limit their mowing to grass. They will graze and browse on vegetables, flowers and even an occasional toxic plant. Push-mowers do a fine job of trimming grass, and they rarely get diarrhea. They also can be stored in sheds for months at a time.

6. Sheep will give me wool, so I can spin and make clothing and gifts.

If you raise sheep, it is entirely possible you will be too busy to sit and spin. Or too tired to spin. Or too injured to spin (see Reason #4). It is no surprise that most spinners DO NOT own sheep!

7. Counting sheep will help me sleep

Actually, counting sheep has been proven to jolt even the weariest shepherd into the *Awake: Danger* state of mind. This frequently occurs during lambing time, when your count of "any day now" ewes comes up short. Freezing weather and darkness increase the chances of how many sheep are missing. Counting sheep can also prove very wakeful when your neighbors report sightings of coyotes or cougars.

8. Sheep are easier to manage than other livestock

People who raise cattle, horses or swine disagree with this, as do the partners of those who raise sheep. As one feed store employee remarked, "sheep are born to die".

9. "Mary Had A Little Lamb" was my favorite nursery rhyme.

Unfortunately, Mary developed problems with paranoia after years of being followed by her lamb. She spent many years in therapy as a result, dealing with additional issues involving animal co-dependency. She was finally able to admit in group that the lamb's fleece was never as white as snow. She is now a personal trainer and owns an iguana.

10. But lambs are sooo cute...

If sheep did not start out as cute lambs, there would be no more sheep.

I think he should buy a new manitou teleporter then sell it to me like some other fool did last time (townies have too much money when they buy machines then sell them at 2 yrs old with no hours on them and only lifted a few little square bales)

but to pull a mower he doesnt want anything bigger than a massey 35, get a 4 cylinder one i think its the same engine as the 240?? or rather we took the engine out of a 240 and stuck it in the 35 and it fitted, but anyway they run better.

or get alittle old ford dexta or similar they are good (as much as i hate blue) anything bigger and his wasting his money for 6 acres, try to suggest a claas cougar!!! ;D ;D

I think he should buy a new manitou teleporter then sell it to me like some other fool did last time (townies have too much money when they buy machines then sell them at 2 yrs old with no hours on them and only lifted a few little square bales)

but to pull a mower he doesnt want anything bigger than a massey 35, get a 4 cylinder one i think its the same engine as the 240?? or rather we took the engine out of a 240 and stuck it in the 35 and it fitted, but anyway they run better.

or get alittle old ford dexta or similar they are good (as much as i hate blue) anything bigger and his wasting his money for 6 acres, try to suggest a claas cougar!!! ;D ;D

Whatever you do, don't get a 4 cylinder 35, the're absolute b*&^***%s to get started. The 4 cylinder Standard engines were renowned for poor starting, so buy a 3 Cylinder 35!