The Adventures of Marky and Mavis... the MF240QD - new to me on 14th November 08

Lord Ferguson

The big question.... restore her or not ?  

102 members have voted

1. 1. The big question.... restore her or not ?

• Yep... give her the works
    • No... leave her alone

• Replies 705
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a threory that all the 'billy basic' models like Hattie wil be... it's just the highly electronic versions that won't be about.... I'm a real fan of good old enginering... soloniods and switches if necessary... but not software to do everything as it is now days

Here here...billy boy here seconds that too ;) ;)

it's not just the tractors that have changed really it's also the farmers & drivers attitudes that have changed & the cab that the technology sits in , i mean could you really see any major electrical computer parts surviving in a workday tractor such as the MF590 or FORD 6600 that was full of mud & dust 90% of the time & working in all weathers with the back windows open ? where as todays drivers have an old bit of carpet at least in the cab & windows securely shut  the advance of the computer also steadies the workload it has as well unlike older tractors with got to get it done drivers are in the past as modern tractors are given that little bit more of everything before it would reach it's stress limitation the engines are built to handle power upgrades , where as a 4 year old 590 or 66 with a turbo added were liable to go bang !

the MF590 or FORD 6600 that was full of mud & dust 90% of the time & working in all weathers with the back windows open ? 

My 590 never was, Marcus  ;D But I think it's more the drivers attitudes rather than the farmers.  :)

Now I am not a professional tractor user, but from the articles I have read the computers part of the 3000 and 3600 were actually pretty reliable considering they were pretty much the first in the market.

But it does beg the question, what will be the yard scrapers of 2020?

I agree - the 3000s were extremely reliable but relatively simple.

Anything that doesn't have electronics (including combines) is fair game for export at the moment - look at the trade in NH 8070s. So there may be nothing left to scrape with.  :D

as i said john, its almost sinclair zx80 for the 3000 fergy and all singing and dancing modern desktop now in the new stuff, simple works multi function means more to go wrong, the computor goes down the tractor wont work, at least a 3000 fergy would still start and drive ok

My 590 never was, Marcus  ;D But I think it's more the drivers attitudes rather than the farmers.  :)

ah but then you do seem to be the forums exception to every rule john  :D :D

not seen a pic of your 590 john  ???  pic please  :)

as i said john, its almost sinclair zx80 for the 3000 fergy and all singing and dancing modern desktop now in the new stuff, simple works multi function means more to go wrong, the computor goes down the tractor wont work, at least a 3000 fergy would still start and drive ok

hmm to a degree yes sean they would , but then having a tractor that cant actually do any work means it's as good as a tractor that won't start, nearly all the electronic faults with the 'computer' on the 3000 could be reset by pushing a magic button under the cab , or just replacing the damaged board , or simply a fuse,  nowadays new tractors need to be reconfigured or reprogrammed  ::)

hmm to a degree yes sean they would , but then having a tractor that cant actually do any work means it's as good as a tractor that won't start, nearly all the electronic faults with the 'computer' on the 3000 could be reset by pushing a magic button under the cab , or just replacing the damaged board , or simply a fuse,  nowadays new tractors need to be reconfigured or reprogrammed  ::)

the only problem there mjb tis where they put the magic button or box was right under the cab were it collected  all the rain water and they were all going wrong and at £3000 + each and you cant move them as i found out on a 3090 i had years ago every 100 hrs a new box (tractor now in scrapyard) as it used to mess up my linag controls and gear box high-low box

the only problem there mjb tis where they put the magic button or box was right under the cab were it collected  all the rain water and they were all going wrong and at £3000 + each and you cant move them as i found out on a 3090 i had years ago every 100 hrs a new box (tractor now in scrapyard) as it used to mess up my linag controls and gear box high-low box

ah are you thinking of the main electric box under the righthand front floor pannel ? yes they did tend to suffer none more so than my 3080, well it certainly started to suffer when the boss started to reprograme it with a 1/4lb ball pein hammer  :D :D  every so often id have permanent 4wd,no PTO & no hydraulics , but a quick reboot with the hammer would get it going again  :D

forgot to mention... I've sent my new trailer back to marston today to have a litle bit more than the 'whiff' of paint it's currently sporting... Upon closer inspection this trailer appears to have one coat of primer... and one very thin coat of red

that was done espsily for you so it catches up with the rust on the other 2 tractors  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D:-*:-* :-*:-*

so does this mean they'll do it in proper MF colours , all red with yellow wheels or red body , black chassis & silver wheels  :)

Oh Marcus... you are sooooo out of date... MF's are now MF50th Red and Fendt Grey  :P:-*

You were dead right too then Mark but is disappointing!

Thanks Colm... it wasn't a huge amount of money... but it's more a point of principal really

Oh No no no no no no no no no no (in thw words of the Chruchill dog)...

It's new.. so it's got to be new colours... Mavis needs an old school MF200 trailer really... and one day... when Mrs F lets me loose with her purse again she will have one  :D

Missed two crackers recently in a sale in Cambridge or Norfolk that was profiled in Classic Tractor. ;)

• 4 weeks later...