The best sounding tractor?

Light Land

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't had a lot to do with more modern tractors after the late 1980's as the further on in time you go after that most of them sound all the same to me. David Brown for me, a very distinct and unique sounding engines that you can distinguish for a fair distance before you even see them. The sound of the 3 cylinder D.B. engine had a very distinct purring whistle to the exhaust when engine revs were shut off and the tractors going downhill. This was due to the way the baffles were arranged in the silencer which you don't get in the modern replacements. I have an original exhaust on my 780 and it whistles beautifully.

stole my thunder there colm,

1)aye it would have to be a deutz 6.30 on the max with an FH900

2) a 699with the hatch open

3) a marshall 804 pushing silage up a clamp,then throttleing off at the top to    get to hear the turbo wind down

4)last but not least , the very distinctive exhaust note of any david brown

It surprises me how many people seem to think John Deeres sound good - to me they are one of the roughest sounding engines around. Maybe it's just my hearing ???

Of all the tractors I have heard over the years,  I have to say the sweetest sounding one was a 200hp Schluter E9500TV.  It had a straight 8 cylinder engine of Schluters own design and it simply purred.  I've never heard anything else that even comes close. 

Mine has to be a Cat challenger MT 765 when she was working hard on shakerator just open that door and hear her purr with her Cat C9 or Case Magnum scream at high revs which ruins it but when lugging hard on a plough at 1500revs music to the ears :D

no one has said any of this and in my mind they sound the best

1) lambo farmer next to us use to have them you could all wasy hear him ploughing ever when he was on the futhrest feild away form us

2) an 1988 120hp urssa i did have a video of it some were once  you have heard her youll never look at the jds the same brewer us to compane when i had that as every time i put my foot on the gas to move up it out drrowned his jd 6920s and even whit the window on he could talk on the phone whit me beside

3)has to be olly arnolds fasttrac didnt that roar  ;)

well thats my 3 any ways

My top five.

1. Case IH 956XL

2. Caterpillar D8H under load

3. Ford 7810, one that lived down the road from me always sounded very impressive.

4. Massey Ferguson 3095, the one I had the pleasure of having a go on sounded lovely.

5. Fordson E27N Perkins P6

My top five.

1. Case IH 956XL

2. Caterpillar D8H under load

3. Ford 7810, one that lived down the road from me always sounded very impressive.

4. Massey Ferguson 3095, the one I had the pleasure of having a go on sounded lovely.

5. Fordson E27N Perkins P6

I have to say my neighbour where I used to live had 2 7810's and they did sound nice but and its a big but, they had both been turbo'd and tweaked to god knows what hp, both pulled like trains, could here them from over a mile away