"Walter Derwent's" Implement Photographs

The Tractor Twitcher

Always nice to see a steam ploughing outfit in action David. The last time I saw a team working would have been at the Dorset Steam Fair some years ago. There is a family up my way who have one ploughing engine and a plough but it not the same having to use a Cat D2 or a County crawler to pull the plough back.

Always nice to see a steam ploughing outfit in action David. The last time I saw a team working would have been at the Dorset Steam Fair some years ago. There is a family up my way who have one ploughing engine and a plough but it not the same having to use a Cat D2 or a County crawler to pull the plough back.

Really enjoy seeing them in action too, seen a few over the years, at Driffield, South Croxton in Leicstershire and Festival of the Plough. Most impressive demonstrations of this kind of equipment i've seen were both at the World Ploughing Championships at Lincolnshire Showground in 2000. There was the most extraordinary machine been used to pull a balance plough on the saturday, a Sherman Tank belonging to and converted by Robert Crawford. On the Sunday they had the "Steam Plough Off" with over half a dozen sets lined up, including a pair of engines that had been converted to run with McClaren diesel engines, I'll have a look for the photographs I took in due course. :)

seen a pair like this working at dorset last year. could watch them for hours.

I know exactly what you mean mate. As much as I enjoy watching and listening to a big tractor or crawler pull a large plough, there's something very serene about watching a balance plough trundle up and down a field when all you can hear is the furrows being turned themselves. I Really need to get down to The Great Dorset Steam Fair, i've never been before and it looks like an amazing event, i've seen some aerial photographs taken there, the whole place looks like it spreads for miles.  :)

• 2 weeks later...

Some photographs of the equipment used by the Headly brothers at Ellers farm from yesterday.

Firstly a 19 year old Grimme Mustang de - stoner. Although the farm doesn't grow any of it's own potatoes anymore, the eldest of the brothers also works for a local big potatoe growing farm.

DSC03765.jpg

Cultivation equipment and the drill.

DSC03770.jpg

DSC03771.jpg

DSC03777.jpg

DSC03778.jpg

Some nice tackle there David ;)

Thanks Colm, should be plenty more to add to this thread over this year, looking forward to seeing and photographing the Grimme de - stoner in action on my friend's MF 6290, it's going to be working alongside a fleet of Case IH MX tractors in the not too distant future. :)

• 8 months later...

I've had another enjoyable afternoon sifting through old photographs and thought i'd update this thread of mine with some more cable ploughing photographs my Dad and I have taken over the years including a favourite of mine, a pair of engines converted to run with McClaren diesel engines seen at the World Ploughing Championships on land surrounding Lincolnshire Showground back in 2000.

First couple taken at Driffield Steam Fair many years ago:

IMG45_0001.jpg

IMG45_0002.jpg

Next couple come my first visit to Festival of the Plough at Epworth around a decade ago:

IMG45_0003.jpg

IMG45_0004.jpg

hi walter i take it that last photo was a steamer retro/converted

to diesel do you ever come accros any old potao toppers from the mid 70s to mid 80s as I want to make one for The ERTL  IH 784 im Re-making aswell 

cheers nigel

It certainly was Nigel, according to the official program it's one of a pair of Fowler engines originally built in 1917 that were then converted to run with the McClaren diesel engines in 1935.

Unfortunately i'm unable help you with your request at present, however now i'm aware of what you're looking for i'll endevour to keep an eye out for any on my travels.

Regards

David.

It certainly was Nigel, according to the official program it's one of a pair of Fowler engines originally built in 1917 that were then converted to run with the McClaren diesel engines in 1935.

Unfortunately i'm unable help you with your request at present, however now i'm aware of what you're looking for i'll endevour to keep an eye out for any on my travels.

Regards

David.

Cheers David I seem to remember two fowlers in welshpool some 10 years back but i cant remember if they where converted like the ones in your pics

Cheers David I seem to remember two fowlers in welshpool some 10 years back but i cant remember if they where converted like the ones in your pictures

Your welcome Nigel, the converted machines in the photographs above reside in Cambridgeshire and that's also where they were originally converted too, they certainly made for a fascinating contrast to the other sets of untouched steamers working alongside.

was there much in productivity between the two  I.E did diesel out preform steam on the day

im not taking into account the time it takes to get a fowler up to steam

In terms of field performance operating the plough, from memory there wasn't any real significant differences between the two, perhaps harder to tell also in the confines of a small demontration plot. I would imagine the biggest benefits of the conversion would be the convenience to the people operating the engines. The converted Fowlers were pulling a 4 furrow balance plough between them whilst there were also a couple of 6 furrow examples also working but with smaller mouldboards and ploughing to a shallower depth. 

Here's another unusual power source for pulling a balance plough in the shape of Robert Crawford's twin engined Sherman tank converted for farm use also seen at the World Ploughing Championships in 2000, even with only one engine cranked up this machine made quite a noise:

IMG_0002-2.jpg

IMG_0001-2.jpg

some cracking pictures here i like the tank conversion

Thank you Jack, appreciated, it's a very impressive and ingenious way of gaining lots of horse power. 

I've just found the book where I first saw this machine, called "A History of Farm Tractors" by Nick Baldwin. There's an old photograph of it being used to pull a big 3 foot single furrow balance plough and according to the caption it was converted by Robert Crawford in 1948 as a result of there being a shortage of heavy crawlers after World War II.

Good pictures of some well kept machinery on that farm.  :)

Thanks John, haven't been back over since harvest with the camera to capture some of my friend's machinery in action, they're pretty consciencious when it comes to maintainence, especially as most of the equipment they run is rarely bought brand new. :)