The last Royal Show Good Ridance

SMurF

For at least 30 years I have been going to the show  and for the first 20 have been looking forwards to the event

Over the past 5-10 years I have been going and seen it dwindle to what seems to be a glorified shopping centre with the odd tractor here and there   

Going the next time Hoping that they would keep their promiss of getting it back to the "farmers show" to no avail

I went to the show today with expectations that as it was the last show there would be something special , But was so dissapointed and bored that after 3 1/2 hours had seen all of the show and was bored senceless  so went home    This is the first time that I havn't been there all day.

I am sorry to see it go but with the way that it has been organised over the last decade  I say good ridance , for as far as i can see the organisers have got only one thing to blame for the loss of attendancies  and that is themselves for turning it into the shambles that it has become today.

Rant over

P.S    This is also the first year that I havn't bought some sort of model back with me  :'(      As there wasn't much there

3 counties is looking the popular option for next year :-\

Or even the Kenilworth show    which is only down the road from the royal    And they have machinary

went today and only went becauce it was the last show. i cant believe how is has dwindled down so much . you used to struggle to see everything years ago with working demos etc . The royal welsh is supposed to be the one to go too a proper agricultural show like the royal was 15 years ago. RIP royal show .

Daz

The last Royal i went to was 1996 i thought it was a waste of space then  >:(

It would be good to see it return as traditional show, held at a different venue each year like it used to be.

I reckom Cereals is the modern day machinary showcase  :-\

LAMA is the best machinery showcase nowadays, plus its free and at the right of year. ;)

all shows are like this now sadly, the cornwall show was 50% plus of non farming stuff, like tris said whirlpool spas the lot were for sale, i guess though if they dont allow stuff like that the show its self would prob go, as you couldnt justify say 3 days like the cornwall show is just of farming stuff, seems like the royal show has gone to far away from farming

This seems to be the general concensus for the majority of these big shows nowadays, not just isolsted to the Royal. There seems to be a vast shift away from what these shows initially set out to do, showcase the area and what it offered and produced for the area in food and farming which was the mainstay of the area. These days the shows seem to concentrate more on retailers of a more urban society than the rural society and has become more of a glorified retail park and the amount of rubbish is degrading the shows to no more than a 3 day car boot sale. The Devon County Show has leant in the same direction for many years now with the farming aspect dwindling to a minority showcase with only around 3 tractor and machinery dealers attending and more stands now concentrating on the yuppy types and the country whaa whaa's with asking prices for their products and services way above the heads of the people that they are supposed to be showcasing to. Animals at the shows have also dwindled due to red tape and farms no longer in business and mor animals of the rare breeds and exotic types that to the local economy are absolutely useless. The best shows to go to nowadays are the small town shows and village shows. The organizers have a lot to answer for, they have got too greedy charging thousands of pounds for a pitch now whereas years ago it was hundreds.

i suppose tractor maufactures play a big part aswell

the likes of county rodless gone

case ih david brown ford basicly under one giant corperate umbrella thats now one stand

instead of 5 or 6 ......deutz massey fendt landini same mearly going the same way

they are more horse shows now with RAF NAVY MARINE  cadet collections with classic and

vintage cars

and the odd beer tent as oposed to every dealer having a beer tent in the late 70s early 80s

all shows are like this now sadly, the cornwall show was 50% plus of non farming stuff, like tris said whirlpool spas the lot were for sale, i guess though if they dont allow stuff like that the show its self would prob go, as you couldnt justify say 3 days like the cornwall show is just of farming stuff, seems like the royal show has gone to far away from farming

i have to agree , govt policy and general public dis interest in how we go about our daily lives all partly to blame........where is our union why arent they shouting our corner more?

i also think tho to attract the new country dwellers you need to have spa`s labradoodle coat stands pink wellie stands high value food items, possibly more like a big farmers market  with livestock and machinery.Long ago too the local show would be a very social occasion where the far lying famers went annually to catch up with everyone else, the rural , wi ladies had their baking shows floral art etc......lifes just changing for the moment....and be honest  how much of our ( farmer) business is actually done at the shows???