Ebay - has it become too powerful?

ihatepoundland

Ebay - has it become too powerful?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Ebay - has it become too powerful?

• Yes - it needs some competition
    • No - I like our commerce overlord

Is it just me, or is the place becoming overly aimed at the big powerseller?

Now free P&P is compulsory in several sections, even sections with heavy items, they seem to want to compete with Play.com/Amazon etc. with free postage.

Postage is a pain for eBay as they make no money from it in final value fees (although I thought making profit from postage was illegal  ???) so by making free postage compulsory, the seller starts the auction at a higher price = more listing fees and a higher final value.

I hate to say it, but I can only see it being a matter of time before this is rolled out across the whole of eBay, I think the little guy is too time consuming for eBay, they can make larger profits working with the big players.

Whilst free postage may seem like a huge benefit for buyers, remember, there is no such thing as free and what the farm toy auctions will lose is the variety of used toys coming to market.

I have to agree!  These are exactly the comments that sellers are posting on the eBay discussion boards.  The general impression is that they don't want to bother with small sellers selling low priced items: 99p + £2 postage = not much commission for ebay.  Make them offer free postage (that's nonsense anyway, what they mean is inclusive postage), and eBay gets 29p commision instead of 9p.

Last year they started offering no initial isting fee for items starting at 99p, but increased their FVF to 10%, which was con enough, but they are now spreading the 'free p&p' to cover more categories, so sellers can't start listings at 99p anymore.  That means ebay get their 29p in the example above, and get an initial listing fee as well.

They only seem interested in business sellers (who obviously bring in plenty of fees for them),  but a lot of small sellers do so to raise some cash to spend on eBay purchases, so cutting them out of the loop will cut the amount they buy from the big sellers - end up with a downward spiral.

There is no listening to the client/customer and provide the service they want.  They seem to think they can impose their will on everyone regardless.  Unfortunately it seems to be the way that American businesses operate; eBay are not the only compoany with this attitude >:(

well... I'm the only no so far...

I'm not one of life's great procrastinators... so long as I can keep buying plenty of MF brochures then I'm happy quite frankly  :-\

If they remove free postage, gone will be the days of the 99p bargin

Seller is looking at adding 90p postage and a 50p packing cost to the starting price, which adds another 15p for a listing starting at over 99p, so £1.55 before you even start. Then eBay takes their 10% and Paypal takes their 3.4% + 20p. All in, £2 cost to the seller before they break even.

It seems to me that in a sector where goods sell for only a couple of quid, free postage could reduce the number of people willing to sell.

As a buyer, you won't get reduced postage for multiple items either.

hard to say, peoples whole shopping attitudes have changed over the years, more online stuff, slowley moving away from shops ect, even with postage its usally cheaper, and in times like this its only going to get bigger to with every one searching for a bargains

any bussiness can get to big for its boots, look at tesco, way to big for anyones proper protection, it goes under?? ibm have done it so have other big companys, look at the chaos that would cause

at the end of the day we the buyers / sellers make it as big as it is,  

this may be a little off topic but , eBay are doing small traders out of business i think .

put it this way , a 15 minuet drive to a local model shop  or  sit in front of a computer

i would love to drive 15 minutes to a model shop , instead of ebay.

1/ you can look at the model to see if its ok all in one piece, un like ebay.

2/ when you get it home its still in one piece, not in many bits like when  posted.

the sad thing is most toy/ model shops are dying out, i say  because of on line shopping.

That why i buy most of my models from toy fairs/ shows.

i would love to drive 15 minutes to a model shop , instead of ebay.

1/ you can look at the model to see if its ok all in one piece, un like ebay.

2/ when you get it home its still in one piece, not in many bits like when  posted.

the sad thing is most toy/ model shops are dying out, i say  because of on line shopping.

yes i know at least 3 toy/model shops that have closed down in the past 5 years or so . but today people have "busy" life styles and no time for local shopping i say , with more and more people ordering from the internet on sites such as ebay

*sorry if this is off topic

When I was a lad in the 60's and 70's, you could find toys in almost every town; even most newsagents had a decent toy section. 

There haven't really been many 'proper' toy shops for many years.  Most of the old fashioned toy shops (that would stock the full range of the likes of Britains, Corgi, Dinky, Airfix, Hornby etc)  disappeared before the internet had much impact.  It was the growth of Toyfairs/Swapmeets in the 80's and early 90's which finished most of them off - sellers with no costs other than goods they sold and the table rent (and mostly not registered for VAT, and probably undeclared for income tax too).  It was impossible for a legitimate business to compete.

It is a case of 'Use them, or Lose Them'.  The ones that are left are struggling with toyfair competition, but now also have to compete with online sellers with much lower overheads, so they probably won't last much longer.  EBay play a big part in this,  although from what I see, eBay is an expensive way of buying farm toys.

I've given up selling on eBay due to the postage restrictions. I was ripped off several times by buyers saying the item had not arrived and Paypal refunding them, so I only offered recorded delivery postage which is 72p dearer. Now eBay has restricted the postage I loose out even more!!

How can you post a book recorded delivery for £2.75!!!

Amazon has the same limited postage on books but I am getting a higher fixed price for them and no risk of a low auction price. However some people have books listed for 1p!!! Why bother you must loose out as the loss on postage is a lot more than 1p!!!!

The issue over eBay high postage is rubbish. Decent sellers list their postage price at the begining of the auction - if you don't agree don't bid!!!

I wish I could take a 15 minute drive to a model shop but the nearest is Salisbury (25 miles and a then tidy walk) but it does not stock the sort of things I collect. I can buy balsa and cement there, though.  Usually it is a case of swapmeets and toyfairs but even they are shrinking.

I've given up selling on eBay due to the postage restrictions. I was ripped off several times by buyers saying the item had not arrived and Paypal refunding them, so I only offered recorded delivery postage which is 72p dearer. Now eBay has restricted the postage I loose out even more!!

How can you post a book recorded delivery for £2.75!!!

Amazon has the same limited postage on books but I am getting a higher fixed price for them and no risk of a low auction price. However some people have books listed for 1p!!! Why bother you must loose out as the loss on postage is a lot more than 1p!!!!

The issue over eBay high postage is rubbish. Decent sellers list their postage price at the beginning of the auction - if you don't agree don't bid!!!

Too true, it's frustrating that sellers aren't allowed choice rather than eBay enforcing a rule that favours themselves and the volume sellers.

• 1 month later...

That's a damn good link you put up there IHPL, just spent 1/2 an hour reading the comments.

One thing that has always puzzled me with a lot of sellers is when they state that their standard postage (and I assume including the secondhand packaging) on an item will be charged to the buyer for 'second class recorded post'. There's no such thing, it's either 'recorded delivery' or 'second class' not both.  ::)

That's a damn good link you put up there IHPL, just spent 1/2 an hour reading the comments.

One thing that has always puzzled me with a lot of sellers is when they state that their standard postage (and I assume including the secondhand packaging) on an item will be charged to the buyer for 'second class recorded post'. There's no such thing, it's either 'recorded delivery' or 'second class' not both.  ::)

Actually you can send by either 1st class recorded or 2nd class recorded, both of which really only add a signature on delivery.  There is no tracking as such, and maximum compensation for loss or damage is the same as for normal postage (£39).  In addition there is Special Delivery which is tracked at every stage of its journey as well as signed for on delivery, and carries compensation beyond the maximum £39 on 1st and 2nd class postage:

http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/jump1?catId=400023&mediaId=400028

An entertaining article IHP!  Whilst ebay has become very poor in some respects, I don't find it as bad as that journalist is trying to make out, but hey, why let the facts spoil a good story  :D

The postal tracking system is a bit of a misnoma as you can only track an item being sent to you if you know the number on the ticket attached to the item if the sender has given you the number and the Post Office will only give you details of the whereabouts of your item if it has been delivered and you have to wait 3 weeks for the information. The same if you are sending anything by recorded delivery, It is only 'recorded' when the item reaches its destination address when you sign the postmans ticket when he delivers it to you so it's a total waste of time. To actually know where your item is you have to send it by 'special' delivery, either 'next day' or 'guaranteed'. I've done this several times and when sending anything by recorded delivery, go online and fill in the tracking form and enter the tracking code number and regardless of wheather the item gets to its destination or no, you never know as there is never any reply or conformation. The only way an item in the post can truly be 'tracked' is if you do like they did on an episode of Top Gear, put an electronic tracking device in it. Recorded does not give you a guarantee of insurance either, you have to fill out a seperate form for this. Guaranteed 'next day' or 'special' delivery is different, insurance comes with this but you have to print the value of the contents on the ticket of which the Post Office retains a copy. When someone offers 'proof of postage' this means that they have only been given a receipt for the cost of postage by the Post Office from which it has been sent from and the person to who the item is being sent can only find this out if they know which Office it has been sent from. Not everything is as it seems. This information I found out by having a long telephone conversation with the top man in my areas main Post Office one day when I was trying to find out where a package was that I had been expecting. Never received it and never found out where it whent to this day.

An entertaining article IHP!  Whilst ebay has become very poor in some respects, I don't find it as bad as that journalist is trying to make out, but hey, why let the facts spoil a good story  :D

I think the diecast side of eBay may be bit more sheltered due to the people they attract, I've heard plenty of horror stories from the mobile phone/laptop/games consoles/sunglasses side of things. Who knows ???

I don't hate eBay, it is still very useful, but it isn't what it could or should be and it isn't the eBay I signed up for years ago.

its what people charge for postage that bugs me just recently won a 3220 fastrac for spares,ideal ,i messaged the seller about his postal charges and he said dont like it dont bid, he was charging £4.00,i recently posted 3 models in one box and recorded delivery for £8.89,in the end not to bad as i won the item for £1.24,but the postal cost seemed steep to me and also i thought on e bay you were not allowed to make a profit from postage costs

its what people charge for postage that bugs me just recently won a 3220 fastrac for spares,ideal ,i messaged the seller about his postal charges and he said dont like it dont bid, he was charging £4.00,i recently posted 3 models in one box and recorded delivery for £8.89,in the end not to bad as i won the item for £1.24,but the postal cost seemed steep to me and also i thought on e bay you were not allowed to make a profit from postage costs

You are not meant to make profit, but you are within your rights to charge for your time and expenses.

If everyone did though, it would get rather expensive for single parcels!

For example:

5 minutes packing

1 minute finding & writing the address

10 minute, 3 mile round drive to post office

5 minites in post office

So even at min wage, that's £2 plus use of a car @ 40p a mile (£1.20)

So we're at £3.20 without even adding the cost of packing or postage.

its what people charge for postage that bugs me just recently won a 3220 fastrac for spares,ideal ,i messaged the seller about his postal charges and he said dont like it dont bid, he was charging £4.00,

Depends what service he was using.  1st recorded would not be for short of £4 for that.

What annoys me are the people who mark your DSR's down for postage when it actually cost more to post than you charge them for,  and give a low score for dispatch time because they paid on Tuesday evening, and didn't recieve the item on Wednesday morning ::)