Pickering Steam Rally 2009

On Friday 7th August I attended Pickering Steam Rally which took place from 6th to 9th August and is only a very short walk from where I live. Normally I attend on the Saturday evening for the fairground festivities, fireworks and proper cider and then go back on the Sunday to properly take in all the exhibits and take photographs.

However due to my commitments to a best friend's stag do I could only pop down on the Friday for a nosey around. It was a pretty good day despite being overcast and very humid for the most part, there were some very nice machines to photograph despite the fact there was lots of exhibits still to turn up for the weekend, this didn't detract too much from a decent day out.

First up a small selection of photographs from the wonderful gathering of showman's engines:

DSC04780.jpg

DSC04782.jpg

DSC04789.jpg

DSC04790.jpg

DSC04806.jpg

DSC04826.jpg

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What an absolutely fabulous collection of steam power.  Wish Pickering was closer to me! (I know I have the Great Dorset Steam Fair on my doorstep but it is a pig to get there - never mind parking - with roads clogged all around).

What an absolutely fabulous collection of steam power.  Wish Pickering was closer to me! (I know I have the Great Dorset Steam Fair on my doorstep but it is a pig to get there - never mind parking - with roads clogged all around).

It really is a wonnderful gathering of steam engines Sue, some fanstastic machines on display from all across the country, i've been attending on and off for the past 15 - 20 years and absolutely love the atmosphere of the event and how it takes over the town for the whole weekend, even though i'm sure many of the locals would disagree with the traffic delays. Lots more photographs on the way soon. :)

A couple from the large array of vintage and classic cars, I had hoped to go back around to photograph a lot more of them and the motorbikes but by the time I did my camera battery ran out of steam.

DSC04827.jpg

DSC04828.jpg

My favourite selection of vehicles on display this year was the magnificent line up trucks and commercials which seems to grow each with each year. I spent quite a bit of time admiring the restoration work that had been carried out on them and variety of makes and configurations on show.

The biggest mistake I made however was not to invest in a program so I'll admit to being unable to identify some of the machines I took photographs of, any help from the resident experts on here would be much appreciated, they made for a fantastic sight.

First up seen on the sidelines was this Leyland Comet and Bedford fire engine.

DSC04800.jpg

DSC04835.jpg

Pair of bonneted Scanias.

DSC04803.jpg

DSC04802.jpg

More from the trucks and commercial vehicles continuing with a nice pair of more modern Bedfords.

DSC04801.jpg

Making it's debut at the rally was this smart Foden tractor unit that had recently been restored by a company just down the road from where I live, they also had a restored MF 178 tractor on their stand which i'll post pictures of later.

DSC04820.jpg

Next up a lovely selection of heavy haulage trucks in the famous Pickfords livery.

DSC04843.jpg

DSC04839.jpg

DSC04851.jpg

DSC04869.jpg

Moving onto the static tractor displays which seemed a little bit thin on the ground compared to previous years, more machines were expected for the weekend however. Starting with the Field Marshalls followed by a tractor i've never seen before a wheeled Cletrac 10-18 with a much younger HG42 crawler for company and finally a nice little Gunsmith tractor.

DSC04899.jpg

DSC04977.jpg

DSC04978.jpg

DSC04946.jpg

DSC04948.jpg

DSC04949.jpg

Another selection from the tractor line up including a well travelled 4WD M.A.N tractor i've seen at quite a few rallies in the past and a tidy pair of International 434 tractors.

DSC04911.jpg

DSC04920.jpg

DSC04945.jpg

DSC04912.jpg

DSC04917.jpg

DSC04915.jpg

That's all for this evening, i'll post a few more from the static tractor lines and tractor/truck pulling demonstrations tommorow.

Lovely pictures David. I really need to vist Pickering one year. I see the Barrack family were down from Aberdeen with the Two Fodens' Hielan Laddie and Lassie and also Gary Scott or his sons from Elgin with the Aberdeen harbour board one. I'm surprised Mike Drellan from Blairs in Aberdeen was not down with his Showman's Dolphin.

Lovely pictures David. I really need to vist Pickering one year. I see the Barrack family were down from Aberdeen with the Two Fodens' Hielan Laddie and Lassie and also Gary Scott or his sons from Elgin with the Aberdeen harbour board one. I'm surprised Mike Drellan from Blairs in Aberdeen was not down with his Showman's Dolphin.

Thanks Bill, it's great having an event of this type on my doorstep, i'd definitely recommend a ride down. :) All three of those wagons were receiving lots of attention and deservedly so, they looked superb, can't recall seeing Mike Drellan's engine, I took photographs of most of the showman's engines and can't find it amongst them.

I can feel a trip to Pickering next year coming on....

Thanks for the pictures - what a range of exhibits.  I LOVE the thresher :-*;D

Your very welcome Sue there's always something different to appear every year and the variety and array of machines on display seems to grow and grow too, it's definitely worth the trip. :)

I thought i'd post these for Bill's interest in particular. There was a fine selection of Internationals on display including this Super Cub with under slung mower and what appeared to be an Austin engine fitted. Apologies Bill but I forgot to photograph the serial no. plate on this machine for you, it looked in very tidy condition.

DSC04924.jpg

DSC04923.jpg

DSC04926.jpg

Also in the static line up were this A (with a slightly lop sided exhaust), B and a lovely looking vineyard Super FCC.

DSC04925.jpg

DSC04939.jpg

DSC04938.jpg

A big thank you, David. Really really nice photos you got yourself at the steam rally. Wonderful amount of commercials, I even spotted a truck of Swindon origin. Really liked the yellow Scammel 8 wheeler and of course the C S Ellis Scammel Explorer. Very enjoyable to look through and imagine the lifestyle of a steam rally exhibitor. I'd love to have something like a truck to show, living accomadation on the back. Fry-ups in the morning, beer in the evenings. Showmans egines providing the power for the fairground, beer tent, band.. . ..  Marvelous. Hope to get to Dorset this year again  :) :)

Archived