Pickering Steam Rally 2009

The potentially sad news with regards to the future of the event. I've heard all kinds of things over the last few days but didn't want post anything until I found some strong evidence to back up the rumour mill.

The full and completely unedited reality surrounding just what happened on the Sunday of the event.

Have I witnessed my last Pickering Steam Rally I wonder?  :(

http://www.pickering.uk.net/news/

http://www.pureyorkshire.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=148&sid=571c792b57a1b1437e91b5613df5bc1d

The ammended link.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh dear, that is sad news.  Hopefully it will be sorted out. 

A few years ago there was a big question mark hovering over the Great Dorset Steam Fair because of rising costs but that event is still going strong. Let's hope this is a storm in a teacup and is resolved to everyone's satisfaction.

By the way the second link does not work

Oh dear, that is sad news.  Hopefully it will be sorted out. 

A few years ago there was a big question mark hovering over the Great Dorset Steam Fair because of rising costs but that event is still going strong. Let's hope this is a storm in a teacup and is resolved to everyone's satisfaction.

By the way the second link does not work

The link should work now, it doesn't make for pretty reading or viewing for that matter, I really hope it can all be resolved Sue, it will be very surreal not having the event to look forward to.

I have a feeling that the only people who are going to make any money out of the rally are the lawyers who will no doubt argue about it for a long time yet :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

Blimey... what a mess  :o .... they need to call the police in for a criminal investigation... which would include the instant freezing of the bank accounts, cash in hand and all assets.

As for the lady claiming she is only guilty of being had by a conman... sadly... the truth is that she's a greedy bugger who's taken a gamble and lost... fuelled by that horrible trait of human nature... greed.. pure and simple.

I suspect that most of the engine owners can afford to be out of pocket... but that's not the point really  :-\

I have a feeling that the only people who are going to make any money out of the rally are the lawyers who will no doubt argue about it for a long time yet :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

I really hope something can be done quickly to secure the future of the rally but judging by the rumours persisting from previous year's rallies too I can't see it happening.  :(

Blimey... what a mess  :o .... they need to call the police in for a criminal investigation... which would include the instant freezing of the bank accounts, cash in hand and all assets.

As for the lady claiming she is only guilty of being had by a conman... sadly... the truth is that she's a greedy bugger who's taken a gamble and lost... fuelled by that horrible trait of human nature... greed.. pure and simple.

I suspect that most of the engine owners can afford to be out of pocket... but that's not the point really  :-\

I'm pretty much of the same opinion Mark, I can't believe for one second how anyone can be that naive.

There certainly does seem to be something seriously wrong.  I cannot understand anyone accepting a budget without field rent when without the field there is no show.  Commonsense says that the budget is understated

If you run an Official dog show (as opposed to a "fun show" at a fete), under Kennel Club rules there has to be a number of guarantors to ensure all the costs are paid otherwise there is no show. 

Anyone who thinks you will make a profit out of any show is a fool (I know one of the directors of the Great Dorset SF) and I agree with the comments above - lack of sense but a large dose of greed. 

It has nothing to do with knowing anything about steam (as per the web quote "I know nothing about steam")!  It is obvious he knows nothing about shows either!

Or running a business too Sue  :D :D

Mind you... I'll keep my mouth shut I think  :D :D :D - I am no 'Sir John Harvey Jones' myself  :-[:D :D

We can't all be a Sir John H J, Marky, but we can at least read a budget and know that budgets are notoriously difficult to manage especially when it comes to the "unknowns"; punters through the gate being one. Rent not being budgeted for should have had alarms bells ringing for anyone with half a brain.  Rent has surely got to be the biggest individual payment to be made. 

• 6 months later...

Thought i'd post a small update here with regards to some pleasing news surrounding the event for 2010.

The showground and events arena has now changed hands. It is now owned by a consortium of people headed in the main by a chap called Andrew Foreman, the man behind the Catfoss Group of companies based at Brandesburton in East Yorkshire. This is great news for Pickering's Steam Rally as the event is now under new organisation and will definately be going ahead and hopefully this is the turning over of a new leaf and chapter in it's existence which was severely threatened by the actions of a bunch of greedy nincompoops last year. I for one am really looking forward to attending this year. :)

http://www.pickeringsteam.com/

• 3 years later...

Nice to see the 22RB - looks loike a late model as well.

Also the Ford D800 swb turned into a wrecker = on one of my father's sites had two RB's and a fleet of D800 & Thames traders with Chute wagons, all SWB.  The Chutes held about 3 - 4 yards of concrete, hydraulic tip & slew and distributed it to all the builds on site from a central batching plant, the RB's often placing with a 90 foot boom, 15ft fly and using a skip.  Spent many a day in one after leaving school. ( These days would be pumped - nancy boys!)

Central plant and half a dozen light trucks could shift a lot in a pour - the big pours took precedence and went flat out, the lesser jobs would be shuttled around it.  Regret haven't got a picture of a chute wagon - the bodies would all be scrapped after five years as they would be just worn out.  Unique bits of kit uou just don't see anymore.

It was very nice to see the the 22 RB Steve, first time i've seen one at such close quarters, aside from some of the fairground rides in the other field it certainly made an impression on the horizon. Just a shame there was noone around operating it whilst I was there with my camera.

That sounds like an very impressive operation, certainly far more exciting than the modern pumps used nowadays, thanks for sharing those memories Steve, always enjoy hearing about how things used to be accomplished in the world of contruction and plant.

At last, a picture of a chute wagon!

7028987513_44084aa189_z.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

It was very nice to see the the 22 RB Steve, first time i've seen one at such close quarters, aside from some of the fairground rides in the other field it certainly made an impression on the horizon. Just a shame there was noone around operating it whilst I was there with my camera.

That sounds like an very impressive operation, certainly far more exciting than the modern pumps used nowadays, thanks for sharing those memories Steve, always enjoy hearing about how things used to be accomplished in the world of contruction and plant.

At last, a picture of a chute wagon!

7028987513_44084aa189_z.jpg

Fantastic Steve. Love seeing old photographs like this. Thanks for sharing. :)

Archived