Pickering Steam Rally 2009

A big thank you, David. Really really nice photos you got yourself at the steam rally. Wonderful amount of commercials, I even spotted a truck of Swindon origin. Really liked the yellow Scammel 8 wheeler and of course the C S Ellis Scammel Explorer. Very enjoyable to look through and imagine the lifestyle of a steam rally exhibitor. I'd love to have something like a truck to show, living accomadation on the back. Fry-ups in the morning, beer in the evenings. Showmans egines providing the power for the fairground, beer tent, band.. . ..  Marvelous. Hope to get to Dorset this year again  :) :)

Thanks Tris, your very welcome, enjoying sharing them with fellow forum members and enthusiasts, still a few more on the way  ;). That yellow Scammel 8 wheeler really did stand out very nice restoration had been carried out on it. I've had many a conversation over a few ciders whilst i've been down at the rally on the Saturday evenings over the years about getting a tractor to attend with and get involved properly. On the Saturday evening from about 5 o clock they close off the Market Place in the centre of Pickering and have quite a few of the engines, tractors and trucks parade around the town, it's an amazing sight and atmosphere.

Here's more from the tractors this time from the Nuffield and Leyland brigade, note the number of re-engined tractors, one of the most popular activities at the rally is the tractor pulling which often continues right through the night.

DSC04909.jpg

DSC04906.jpg

DSC04918.jpg

DSC04913.jpg

DSC04922.jpg

DSC04862.jpg

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nive to see the 22RB - looks loike a late model as well.

Also the Ford D800 swb turned into a wrecker = on one of my father's sites had two RB's and a fleet of D800 & Thames traders with Chute wagons, all SWB.  The Chutes held about 3 - 4 yards of concrete, hydraulic tip & slew and distributed it to all the builds on site from a central batching plant, the RB's often placing with a 90 foot boom, 15ft fly and using a skip.  Spent many a day in one after leaving school. ( These days would be pumped - nancy boys!)

Central plant and half a dozen light trucks could shift a lot in a pour - the big pours took precedence and went flat out, the lesser jobs would be shuttled around it.  Regret haven't got a pic of a chute wagon - the bodies would all be scrapped after five years as they would be just worn out.  Unique bits of kit uou just don't see anymore.

Nive to see the 22RB - looks loike a late model as well.

Also the Ford D800 swb turned into a wrecker = on one of my father's sites had two RB's and a fleet of D800 & Thames traders with Chute wagons, all SWB.  The Chutes held about 3 - 4 yards of concrete, hydraulic tip & slew and distributed it to all the builds on site from a central batching plant, the RB's often placing with a 90 foot boom, 15ft fly and using a skip.  Spent many a day in one after leaving school. ( These days would be pumped - nancy boys!)

Central plant and half a dozen light trucks could shift a lot in a pour - the big pours took precedence and went flat out, the lesser jobs would be shuttled around it.  Regret haven't got a picture of a chute wagon - the bodies would all be scrapped after five years as they would be just worn out.  Unique bits of kit uou just don't see anymore.

It was very nice to see the the 22 RB Steve, first time i've seen one at such close quarters, aside from some of the fairground rides in the other field it certainly made an impression on the horizon. Just a shame there was noone around operating it whilst I was there with my camera.

That sounds like an very impressive operation, certainly far more exciting than the modern pumps used nowadays, thanks for sharing those memories Steve, always enjoy hearing about how things used to be accomplished in the world of contruction and plant.

Now for more of those Red Giants:

DSC04980.jpg

DSC04921.jpg

DSC04817.jpg

DSC04818.jpg

david david david.. you've made an old man very happy tonight  :P:D :D

Glad to be of service Mark, I think, try not to flirt with them all too much, Pickering Steam Rally is family show afterall :P :D 

Quite enjoyed putting that little lot together although slightly annoyingly that's a 165 sat in the background of the 185 photograph which I seemed to have missed with the lens, the 178 is a very recent restoration from a local firm, however there's an interesting take on a 168 on the way. :)

This year at the rally there were two tractor pulling sledges in action in two very different arenas. Firstly this small hydraulic low loader with David Brown sat on the back was set up to give a much fairer opportunity for those less modified and standard tractors to test their pulling power. Seen here here is Fordson Major very original International B450 having a go whilst a much modified Major was being used to pulling the sledge back to the start.

DSC04903.jpg

DSC04904.jpg

DSC04905.jpg

DSC04927.jpg

DSC04928.jpg

Thanks for taking the Farmall Cub shots David. It is a French made one but I can only assume the Austiin of England has been a conversion. Nice to see what can be done however.

Probably missed a few as I'm on the phone but that little Inter 434 is a pretty little tractor. I like that quite alot. I think it graced the cover of a Ladybird book I used to have. The restored Leyland is another nice little tractor :) Also, interesting to see a Mini-Mo. A chap near Wincanton restores them. I used to pass his house often and there were always three or so plus the odd Oliver.

Well I just had togo back through this one for a second look and will no doubt return again David. I have never seen the left hand drive bull nosed Scania 143H before. Again on teh lorries I thought that Ward Bros Foden was a nice looking unit. A friend of mine had a S reg one down in his father company haulage colours and i have driven it around the ring at a few of the shows in the past. I think there was even a photo of it in one of the Commercial magazine. They had huge headlights on them

Thanks for taking the Farmall Cub shots David. It is a French made one but I can only assume the Austiin of England has been a conversion. Nice to see what can be done however.

Your very welcome Bill, looked like quite a neat little conversion and with the mower fitted too a very useable tractor for a small holding paddock or big garden. :)

Probably missed a few as I'm on the phone but that little Inter 434 is a pretty little tractor. I like that quite alot. I think it graced the cover of a Ladybird book I used to have. The restored Leyland is another nice little tractor :) Also, interesting to see a Mini-Mo. A chap near Wincanton restores them. I used to pass his house often and there were always three or so plus the odd Oliver.

Pair of very nice tractors the 434 and the Leyland 245 Tris. The Nuffield 10/42 was one my favourites on show too, very smart restoration had been carried out on it. As for the Minne - Mo there was an equally well restored and much bigger GB model on display of a similar size to the badge engineered MF 97 featured in here, but i've somehow contrived to miss it with my camera. I'll gather up some of the loose images I have of Minne - Mo machines and scan them up into my tractor thread at some point. There's a chap from Ripon who has a collection of them (about 35 - 40 miles away from me) and i've photographs of a few his machines i've seen at ploughing matches over the years, really nice looking tractors. :)

Well I just had togo back through this one for a second look and will no doubt return again David. I have never seen the left hand drive bull nosed Scania 143H before. Again on teh lorries I thought that Ward Bros Foden was a nice looking unit. A friend of mine had a S reg one down in his father company haulage colours and i have driven it around the ring at a few of the shows in the past. I think there was even a photo of it in one of the Commercial magazine. They had huge headlights on them

It's the first time i've seen the 143H too Bill, i've seen the "artistic" 142 on a couple of occasions, just never photographed it until now, both looked very impressive. The Ward Brothers Foden tractor unit was one of many favourites of mine amongst the trucks, nice to know that it's a local machine too that lives barely a couple of miles away from me, thoroughly enjoyed taking photographs of them all. :)

I am impressed by the wealth of exhibits.  Thanks for all the pictures

Oh yes I can definitely see myself heading north next year.  Shall we make it an FTF gathering? 

I for one Sue have been meaning to attend this show for years and maybe 2010 will be the year.

David do you know the dates of next years show yet ??? ???

I am impressed by the wealth of exhibits.  Thanks for all the pictures

Oh yes I can definitely see myself heading north next year.  Shall we make it an FTF gathering? 

Your very welcome Sue, glad you enjoyed them, had my camera battery not failed me I could have probably taken twice as many photographs of the other exhibits such as the rest of the cars, motorcycles, stationary engines and some of the other tractors and trucks I missed.

An FTF gathering next year, that sounds like a great idea Sue, yourself, Bill and any other enthusiastic FTF members wishing to attend are more than welcome to pop round to ours for a cuppa and a chinwag, if the weather's good i'll get get barbeque fired up too, i'll post any information I hear regards next year's event in here, as I have heard a rumour it might change venues. :)

I for one Sue have been meaning to attend this show for years and maybe 2010 will be the year.

David do you know the dates of next years show yet ??? ???

All being well Bill, it should take place from the 5th to the 8th of August next year. I have heard a number of rumours speculating it could move to another venue ( still within the immediate area ) due to various reasons connected to the current organisers. Once I here anything concrete or other news regarding the rally i'll be the first to post the information in this thread. :)

Thanks for sharing the pictures.

I dont suppose either of you managed to get a rear picture of that industrial e27n did you?

Cheers

Lee

Hi Lee, unfortunately that's the only photograph I took of the industrial E27N, however i've still a few more rallies and events to attend this year and do know of a fully restored one that lives not too far away from me, if I see it or any others i'll try and remember to get some pictures for you.

David.

Nice stuff there great pictures love the exsplorer

Thanks Adam, glad you enjoyed them mate, impressive truck that Scammel Explorer in very fine order. :)

Archived