World record sheep is any livestock worth this much?

robl12

Well not sure if anyone saw this story yesterday or indeed was at the sale.

The seller and buyer are both from the north east of scotland. The last 2 highest paid Rams have both been Texels and both bought by farmers from the north east of scotland Tophill joe was the last one and reportedly netted his owners in excess of £1 million for a £128,000 purchase price.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/north_east/8226054.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/north_east/8191563.stm

It came from a farm less than 5 miles from me and going to one about 21 miles from me. The last one tophill joe lived about 8 miles from my house.

thats shocking

The returns must justify the expense so not really shocking no different then people spending hundreds of thousands on supercars that will not actually make them any money ;)

You have to remember that this big money only goes around a very small circle of breeders, ie, " you buy one of mine ,I buy one of yours", also nobody knows how much "Luck" will be involved in the deal. Most of these high price sales have less to do with the quality of the animal and much more to do with raising the profile of the circle of breeders involved. I think you have to take the whole thing with a very large pinch of salt.

Mebbie so but a sheep is still a sheep.

Have you had anything to do with pedigree livestock

Ive worked with pedigree cattle and i can tell you pedigree cattle are not just cattle and in the sheep world its even more so.

Breeders can spend a life time trying to breed such perfection everything has to be right, this tup has never been out to graze because breeders are terrified of injury to such an animal if you get the chance to visit a pedigree sheep breeder of this calibre animal you are entering a different world.

how much do you spend on a stock bull?

some of the progeny from this tup will hopefully end up being sold for stock rams if this tup sired 30 good tups at 10k each then the price is more than justified, and we are talking a world market for good quality breeding tups.

There is also the possibility if crossed with another breed a new breed of sheep appearing from this using only qualities of such a high quality animal.

You have to remember that this big money only goes around a very small circle of breeders, ie, " you buy one of mine ,I buy one of yours", also nobody knows how much "Luck" will be involved in the deal. Most of these high price sales have less to do with the quality of the animal and much more to do with raising the profile of the circle of breeders involved. I think you have to take the whole thing with a very large pinch of salt.

this is the crux of the matter ...I`m a livestock man and get a bit frustrated by it all too...yes I see the good genes the best tup you`ve seen the biggest bull you`ve seen has to be worth a fair few quid but ........we`ll be lucky to know just exactly how much cash changed hands for this lad............it all looks very bad to the general public who think all farmers get thousands and thousands for  all our sheep and cattle.

a small note......... I`m mentioning  no names one recent  other high priced tup  changed hands for  over £50 000 LESS  than the quoted  final bid price !

I have been offered  one third back in luck  in the past if I made a certain tup a good price .The man was genuine,quite  openly said "make my tup a big price and I`ll see you get  1/3 back "

I didnt because I`m not in the circle and really couldn`t afford the cost of  getting in there. you see it doesn`t stop there  you have "tup nights "  to host, shows to go to, AI  and embryo transfer work....................folks wanting to  "send a ewe or two down to that good tup " the list goes on ........all good fun  and good luck to anyone involved .....it`s not for me , I`ll stick to my commercial end of the job  :)

how much do you spend on a stock bull?

some of the progeny from this tup will hopefully end up being sold for stock rams if this tup sired 30 good tups at 10k each then the price is more than justified, and we are talking a world market for good quality breeding tups.

this is probably in contradiction to my last post  :o.... ::) but anyway

I`ve been in at £ 8 500  for a bull for my cows . I didn`t get him  and I had probably gone more than I could realistically afford.        it appears though £10 000 isnt an uncommon amount for a top end commercial bull today  especially it he`s a limousin  or a charolais . the one I was bidding on  was a Simmental

a farmer i worked for years ago would happily spend 10k upwards for a limousin bull from a scottish breeder, compared to the stock he purchased from france the scottish lim was far superior in every way.

I think this a credit to scotland and scottish farmers they have always been at the forefront of stock breeding.