The price of combines

CX820Joe

alright if you can afford it.

On paper it probably works out cheaper than your combine i know of one farm that ran 3 NH CRs and they were putting over 2000 acres through each machine. There must be a point where depriciation really kicks in and i suppose it works out cheaper to replace every 2 years than 5 say?

it is mark, we swapped ours every 3 or 4 years, new and paid for, but that was in the times of the big ec payouts ect, times were good then so to speak, and i dont remember a bad harvest like recently so we rarely had drying costs ect to worry about

now its all rush and cut when you can, last x years have been wet and costs are low for the material when bought, yet still they are doing the same, amazing to me to be honest, granted its mostly the big contractors and farmers, but still

Had a look in FW today at the price of the combines, alot of money to fork out for a bit of machinery that spends most of the year sitting in a barn realy

Thats always been the case. I dont know why the trailed combine never took off in the uk i thought the Kidd trailed combine would change things but it just dissapeared.

A farm i worked on used to take the wheels off the combine and put on the tractor to make use of them and i know of one farm in the early 70s that used to take the engines out of combines after harvest  being 6cyl to put in tractors for the autumn work

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The 2 year replacemnet thing might be becouse its onslod with some warenty for the next guy to make the second hand deal better?

i know a guy that has cat diggers and buys them with 3000hr warentys and trades up at 2000hrs to keep 1000hrs for next owner

he recons he deffntly sells his machines like that, he kept his fav digger till 4000hrs and had a hard time getting that sold.. go figure

Gentlemen...........

You seem to be missing the point with the cost.

No one can buy a combine on the final price.... you need to think of it as a cost per hectare or cost per ton...

Combines these days do have more electronics but they are no where near the level of technology in a car or truck....

As for replacement costs and timelines, people are being pushed to sell more combines, or still sell them after the financial crisis and grain price fluctuation etc...

Claas for example will slash prices from one machine just to shift it, then advertise it for a lot of money in the Farmers weekly so it looks like they hold their value.

Then they make up the money by charging the customers who will not move from claas the full price and a bit more.... this is where they make their money.

Like i say, look at the productivity of these machines not the cost, this is why i cannot see the point of these articles in the press..

For example, the John Deere T560i which is a 5 straw walker can out perform a Lexion 6 straw walker 540.

Also, the T670 was proven to be 13% more productive than the New Holland CX8090....

That video shows (in french) how successful it is.....

So.... productivity and cost per ton or per Ha is the key............

Hope that helps.........

the price you see in fw and other mags is list price you get them much cheaper than that we change ours every two years we have a new lexion 600 this year and are getting rid of a 580 for another one i think they are still over priced for what they are crazy money for a machine that spends most of its life in a shed with the way grain prices are going i dont think there will be to many sold next year

the price you see in fw and other mags is list price you get them much cheaper than that we change ours every two years we have a new lexion 600 this year and are getting rid of a 580 for another one i think they are still over priced for what they are crazy money for a machine that spends most of its life in a shed with the way grain prices are going i dont think there will be to many sold next year

Especially not in Ireland given all the grass seeds that have and will go in!

• 2 weeks later...

Gentlemen...........

You seem to be missing the point with the cost.

No one can buy a combine on the final price.... you need to think of it as a cost per hectare or cost per ton...

Combines these days do have more electronics but they are no where near the level of technology in a car or truck....

True the basic calculation is done that way but Ha cut per season (allowing for over or even under capacity) defines the machine size and it is still an estimate - you don't know what your costs were until you sell it.  :) Turning a machine around every 2/3 years makes sense if you are  trying to pin down costs accurately but not necessarily cheapest on a big acreage where the combine is getting towards 'occasional failure' hours at the end of the period.  :)

• 3 months later...