Harvesting in Australia

kojak

Three Cases with 45ft midwest heads. Notice the pastic end on the shoot is missing after the driver caught it in the mother bin and pulled it off. Never liked driving Case....the cabs were small and noisy and the intake is very small and slow compared to the NH.

scan0012.jpg

Wish I was at a pc now to view your PB account. That is a huge bunker bin you guys had. 45ft headers too, huge! Thanks for putting them up. :)

About 2 months before I left, the contarctor I worked for ordered 2 new 50ft fronts from midwest to replace the 45's. I think 50ft is the biggest midwest make or it was at that time a couple of years ago. We had 5 100 ton bins like above this one is a 120ton Dunstan.

513132027a3979430256b475418703lLarg.jpg

Great pictures Kojak,thats what I call a Mailbox.. :o

How big a turning circle do you need with that 120 ton bin............ ???

The front wheels barely turn so a few big one......saw a bloke turn too sharp and jack knife the tractor once.

crikey that one field is as big as one of our entire farms we had , thats big to say the least, surprised they dont get lost in it infact

Tracorman I did get lost one night in one of the big fields. Was working by myself and around 3 am I had to go empty a chaser bin so I could keep harvesting. Had a fair idea where the mother bin was but missed it somehow and spent ages driving around shining the lights in every direction trying to find it . In the end I gave up and drove til I hit a fence and followed that til I found the track the bin was parked on. The field was about 3500 to 4000ac in size. 

more great pictures ;)  what are yields and wheat prices like?

Wheat prices vary every year, depends on demand and quality of the grain. Irrigated land get good yields but on broadacre 3/4 of a ton would be good. I've seen guys totally happy with a 1/2 ton. I've only harvested on one broadacre property where it was nearly a ton/ac. Nothing like the yields back in Europe but the grain quality here is really good prime hard.

I have a friend in Central Qld who didn't have a crop for 4 yrs with the drought conditions here. Two years ago I was harvesting on a property in northern NSW and all I was doing was basically driving over bare earth stripping little bits of crop here and there so the poor bugger could try and recoup a little seed for the following year.....remember it took 6.5 hours to get 4 ton in the header box.  Drought conditions have been really bad in some parts of the country for the last few years, lots of farmers have gone under and lost everything.

nice pics mate done the harvest myself out there back in 01 was working for a crowd called harvest haul was driveing a stsjd with 42ft honeybee head a great experince have to say we started in queensland and finished up in victoria 20hr days where the norm it was tuf going but i enjoyed it when finished that ended up with a case quadtrac and 60ft airseeder enjoyed this more than the combine never seen fields or paddocks as you call as big in my life finding the dirt road at night was a big problem everything is so big out there its unbeliveable keep the pics comeing thanks

Yeah its a great experience would recommend it to anyone...getting paid to see australia  :)  Heard of harvest haul, we had a few blokes with us for a few weeks who worked for them previously and weren't to happy with money and travelling accomadation....how did you find them? We'd work 20 or more hrs a day 7 days a week for 4 months without a break unless you were lucky and it rained for a day or two. I much preferred the driving the combines...a lot more to concentrate on watching for sticks etc the seeding and tractor work bored the crap out me after the novelty of the gig gear wore off. Especially in the north NSW plains where everything is flat as far as the eye could see. Love down the south, nicer scenery and qld was nice too except for the all contour banks in the paddocks which gave me the s**ts.