Reclaiming scrubland for cultivation in NSW

kojak

Walter,the big Komatsu in kojak's picture is a D475,second biggest dozer in the World,

but Komatsu do build a bigger one,the D575,it is the biggest in the World

KomatsuD475.jpg

KomatsuD575A-3SD.jpg

Although there is a Cat D11 in Australia fitted with an 1300 HP engine just for doing the same job in kojak's pictures,

Regards

Joe.

These pictorial diary topics you're posting are superb, a world apart from anything here in tiddley Britain. You guys must have some serious engineering skills and kit to maintain these monsters. Bet the truck sounds nice pulling away under load. Love seeing stuff like this, a huge change to the norm.

Thanks mate. All the servicing and repairs for everything are done on the farm as you could be a few hundred kms away from the nearest dealer. Even when the electronics give problems in the tractors or combines we ring the dealer with the error code and they talk you through the repair....if they can't, they come out and fix it but you pay dearly for the privilage.

That white Mack was a great truck, used to pull three 40ft trailers with it during harvest and you wouldn't even know they were there. Loved the roar of it when you hit the exhaust brake with a load.  A good friend of mine wrote it off carting cattle about a year after the photo was taken. He ran off the road with 2 full cattle crates but he was ok and walked away without a scratch.....can't say the same for the poor old beasts in the crates.  We had 10 trucks old to new for carting grain etc. 

The silver shed is the farm workshop.

513132027a3987679423b827073204lLarg.jpg

The blue truck is a brand new kenworth and the white Mack and crates that were wrote off. You can just see the giant stick rake for the front of the big komatsu beside the blue truck.

513132027a3979725593b967985488lLarg.jpg

This old girl was the service truck, it carried diesel, oils, water, grease etc and a compressor. When the novelty of driving the big gear wore off I looked after the maintainance end.....after a while driving up and down 3000 to 4000ac fields for weeks got seriously boring especially with gps. I used to do a run in this every morning and evening to service whatever rigs were working and then chase up and fix problems for the rest of the day in the 4wd.

513132027a3979671406b799258696lLarg.jpg

Thanks mate........not sure what the model was, its pretty old. I only drove it a few times, stayed well clear of it coz the air con didn't work....no air con no Cliffy  :)

Your welcome mate, looking forward to the next installment, would love to experience the sight and sound of a dozer that large in the flesh at some point. :)

Walter,the big Komatsu in kojak's picture is a D475,second biggest dozer in the World,

but Komatsu do build a bigger one,the D575,it is the biggest in the World

Although there is a Cat D11 in Australia fitted with an 1300 HP engine just for doing the same job in kojak's pictures,

Regards

Joe.

Thanks for the information and identifying her for us Joe, thought it looked like one of the much bigger ones Komatsu build, i've seen footage of the D575 in action on one of the Old Pond "Massive Earthmover" DVDs I bought for my Dad a bit ago, makes for a decent watch. :) 

As everyone has said, very interesting pics of some great equipment - I used to work with anchor cables that size so those machines are working hard.  :)

3 & 4,000 acre fields must get a bit boring after a while... :D

As everyone has said, very interesting pictures of some great equipment - I used to work with anchor cables that size so those machines are working hard.  :)

3 & 4,000 acre fields must get a bit boring after a while... :D

Even lifting one of those links was a struggle......we'd reverse the tractors up to it and then it took two blokes to lift it up to the draw bar.

Yeah with the gps it gets seriously boring, I used to read a lot of books. You hear lots of stories of blokes falling asleep and crashing into trees, or driving through fences etc. I know one contractor who supplied his drivers with mini dvd players....true. I laughed when he told me, thought he was having me on but as he said,  he'd rather have them looking at dvds and staying awake than falling asleep and smashing something.

There was a great photo in an oz farming paper a few years ago. A bloke was sitting on the bonnet of a steiger with his back against the windshield reading a paper while the tractor was ploughing. He was driving close to a road and someone snapped the shot. The caption read "Aussie farmers get lazy". Thats good old gps for ya.

Mornin guy's ,just received these photo's this morning for my old buddy Tim Twitchell,look at the size of that ball,think the STX might have promlems moveing that

1300hp3512D111.jpg

1300hpD112.jpg

1300hpD11bladeplow.jpg

Ballandchain2.jpg

kojak,where in NSW did you take your pictures,would be interesting to "Earth Google"

that area,

Regards

Joe.

Ahh i havent seen any of tims pics for a few years there joe, i rember when that pic first appeared of that cat, i wet myself...

Im goint to chuck a spaner in the works here, i recon that dozer is a 375, im pretty sure thats a only a d75 drot behind it, the 475 would tower that alot more

Aussome pics kojack, il loving seeing big aussie

thanks

kojak,where in NSW did you take your pictures,would be interesting to "Earth Google"

that area,

Regards

Joe.

The photos were taken in various places in NSW and Qld, we were contracting so we moved around quite a bit. At harvest we'd start up north central qld above a town called Emerald and zig zag all the way down to the South Australian border. The harvest normally starts up north at the end of Aug and finishes down south around xmas or shortly after. Then the combines would be driven back up to Qld to start harvesting sorghum.

This where the 80ft seeder photos were taken......google earth says this was taken in nov 2006 well thats wrong because the fields are green which means its winter, I was harvesting there at that time oct to nov. Plus a lot of the field layouts have changed with roads being ploughed to make bigger fields..more scrub has being cleared...dams have been refilled...this was done over 2 to 3 years before then...... From the road above the yard the property extends south swelling out east and west. All those roads you see are private roads.

lat..  29° 3'28.31"S

long...149°10'48.25"E

the fields you see here have all been knocked into one now...

lat 29° 7'52.09"S

long 149° 6'8.65"E

Did a lot of work all around this area in prob 300km radius, sowing harvesting etc... Will find some more places over the weekend.

Hi kojak,thanks for those reference numbers,I'll check them out after I've sent this,be getting near your bed time wont it,brilliant what can be done on a PC,check this

DonMearnsyardQLDAus.jpg

That's taken outside Don Mearns yard in QLD,he's the guy that built that 1300 HP D 11,

Regards

Joe.

Hi kojak,thanks for those reference numbers,I'll check them out after I've sent this,be getting near your bed time wont it,brilliant what can be done on a PC,check this

Regards

Joe.

Yep its that time alright...just watching the end of a tv program... as well reading the forum during the ads. Gotta love google earth  :)