interesting read from a seller

farmermarshall

IMPORTANT! PLEASE READ THIS!

I spent a while feeling really confused about why the BIN's I had added to my listings kept disappearing.

After a bit of help from a nice girl called Amy D at eBay support, I have now learned that BIN's are automatically removed when, in listings with no reserve, a bid is placed or, in listings with a reserve, the reserve is reached. Now how many of you actually knew that?!! Well I didn't anyway.....

Now, this is the important bit. As I am now totally scuppered with regards protecting my initial investment, and listings cannot be ended during the last 12 hours or something, I am forewarning you of the following. I want to be as fair and honest as possible, and if eBay come after me about this then I'll have to deal with that separately, but I need to do this to ensure I don't end up out of pocket.

All the items I have listed have cost me money. I bought them for my personal collection and to put by for my son when he is older. They were not given to me nor are things I have left over from a particularly dull childhood where all my toys lived in boxes 'for the future son, you'll thank me for it when your 60'....

In light of this, they need to reach certain values, these vary wildly depending on how flush I was at the time. So,....

Please treat this listing as if it ends 12 hours before it actually does. If you have all placed your bids before then and the item has reached the value of a reserve I would have set, was I able to actually add one, I will leave the auction to run to the end and you, me and eBay are all winners.

If however there are items which have 99p or any bid on them which is under what I paid for them [rule of thumb, I didn't pay 99p for any of them] then I will sadly [and irritatingly, another stack of fees to pay] have to end the listing early, cancelling bids and relisting it again. I will however notify anyone with bids on an item of the new listing page to allow you to have another go.

Sorry about this, it's a royal pain I know but there's not a lot else I can do.

Good luck though and bid away!

That's twaddle isn't it? I did this and wondered why too. Untill I realised there were two different BIN options, one goes to auction if somebody bids and the other doesn't. So basically he doesn't want to under sell and over fee. Cheeky beggar!

I had a bid on a BIN item.  BIN £25.00 but my bid was £4.00 with no further bid.  Auction ended I won, paid up and the seller did a runner.  I did not get my item, he removed all his contact details and I was furious.  Ebay were not very helpful.  If he had not wanted to sell under £25 then he should have put a reserve on the item. 

Heaven help him if he ever comes back on ebay. (or her)

Interesting. Mate of mine has listed a quite expensive to purchase item with a reserve, after the first bid of the starting price the reserve dissapeared on his 'sellers page' and reverted to an open auction format. Now this is confusing, what are eBay up to. This is going to make sellers get their 'mates' to bid items up to protect their items from selling for a pittance and I wouldn't blame them. Another thing that I have noticed is that on certain items you wish to sell free p&p has to be offered, this doesn't make sense either as the p&p could be more than the end price of the item. If they're not careful people are going to leave the site in droves. I would say that if you wish to put a reserve price on an item, start it at that price and if it doesn't sell at least you've protected it and just bear the listing fee. As they say, there's more than one way to skin a cat!

Surely if you want a price for some thing then you set the starting bid at that price????  Personally I never use auction with a BIN price as well because you end up paying for two listing fees...........  Do one or tuther in my humble.  I dont use reserves either because of the same reason - cant see the point if you as the seller need/want a certain amount for something.  Why not let everyone know at the beginning???  This is just waffle...........someone trying to play the system....

Thanks you lot!!!!

I thought I'd call in to see if anyone here has won any of my beloved collection which I'm having to sell only to find this! And from bloody Marshall too.... is that why you hit me with a pillow on facebook?!

Yes, it is me, you should ALL have realised that!!!

Mark, you are right, minimum reserve 50 quid, most of these things weren't worth that and I wouldn't be so daft as to put a 50 quid reserve on a model you can buy from a shop for less than that.

The TM went for 60 quid, I tried to end that one last night, George was found playing with it..... I need to get my glue out and try to patch it up and see if the buyer still wants it....

That's twaddle isn't it? I did this and wondered why too. Untill I realised there were two different BIN options, one goes to auction if somebody bids and the other doesn't. So basically he doesn't want to under sell and over fee. Cheeky beggar!

It's not very clear, the girl I spoke to at ebay did agree that as you only get one shot at setting these things up, there should be a note on the listing item pages and she was going to put my email in the suggestions box... [dustbin?!]

So most of the good stuff has made sod all and I'm probably worse off now than I was!!!

24 quid for a green pneumatic drill.... some french dude has had a bargain... ::)

Sorry Simon but you should start the item at the minimum you are prepared to let it go for, it might incur slightly higher fees but it would still work out less than pulling the listing and having to pay further fees to re list it.

I only use Ebay to try to get bargains, I bid at the last moment and try to get it for less than it is worth. If I want a boxed model then I will go to the normal sellers and get a brand new one. I suppose the only exception would be conversions but I don't collect them and the others on here seem to prefer to make it themselves rather than buy someone elses :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

Thanks Mike!! I think!!  :-\

I don't really like selling on eBay, I'm more of a buyer really  ;)  but I just had to get some money together quickly.

Not being a seasoned seller there are some peculiarities in the eBay system which aren't made particularly clear when you list an item. I won't make the same mistake again that's for sure!

I didn't want to pull the listings which is why in the end I left them to run, you can't edit them at all in the last 12 hours either - I wanted to add a photo of the outer box to the Accord DL listing but couldn't - so i will avoid selling on eBay in the future I think, I find it too stressful!  :-[  ::) 

I do find the whole 'sniping' approach a bit underhand... I don't do it, I put in my bargain bid in good time then I put in my maximum bid if I need to ... and I don't do all that in the last 30 seconds. Shame on you Robertson!  >:(  :laugh:

If it wouldn't be in breach of Andy's rules I would have let you all know what I was selling and why. I would have expected someone from here to have got in touch at some point though!  :of

Agreed... stop being as tart and get them listed on here... with WHAT YOU WANT FOR THEM Simon.. we don't need to know any mnore than that (or want to know in my case... no offence of course)

As for 'sniping' .... it's an auction... that's what some of us (me included) do at an auction... although it doesn't allow the seller to 'maximise' his/her items potential value... it's a fundemental function of selling this way  :-\

Anyway... good to see you back posting again... I've missed your wise and usually witty rambles  :-*

Your perspective on the rights and wrongs of Ebay depends on whether you are a buyer or a seller, as a seller I have had to let some things go for far less than they are worth just to keep my 100% feedback but, as a buyer I always try to get it for less and I have had some real bargains that way ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

By the way, it's Robinson not Robertson  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

You can chuff off with your good advice Channell.... ::)  :laugh:

I didn't list them on here because.... er, I don't know really.... I blame Tris!

I phoned him before I listed them to get some advice from a seasoned pro... :-\  and he never suggested I list them on here.... god Tris, all your fault... ::)  ;D  [We need a 'spanking the dwarf' smiley....  ;)  :laugh:  ]

I never even thought to be honest, I've had a turbulent summer so not had the time to post [i did check in once or twice to see if there was anything exciting going on... there wasn't  ::)  ] so it didn't even occurr to me. Is the FTF classifieds working well now then? Well done if it is...  :)

By the way, it's Robinson not Robertson  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Well it has been a while......  :-[

Anyway, in a nutshell, life sucks and continues to do so having watched the best bits of my lovely collection go down the road for a song!!  :'(

Thanks you lot!!!!

I thought I'd call in to see if anyone here has won any of my beloved collection which I'm having to sell only to find this! And from bloody Marshall too.... is that why you hit me with a pillow on facebook?!

Yes, it is me, you should ALL have realised that!!!

Mark, you are right, minimum reserve 50 quid, most of these things weren't worth that and I wouldn't be so daft as to put a 50 quid reserve on a model you can buy from a shop for less than that.

The TM went for 60 quid, I tried to end that one last night, George was found playing with it..... I need to get my glue out and try to patch it up and see if the buyer still wants it....

It's not very clear, the girl I spoke to at ebay did agree that as you only get one shot at setting these things up, there should be a note on the listing item pages and she was going to put my email in the suggestions box... [dustbin?!]

So most of the good stuff has made sod all and I'm probably worse off now than I was!!!

24 quid for a green pneumatic drill.... some french dude has had a bargain... ::)

what can i say Simon i did'nt know it was you guy just seemed alot of writing on your listing with a few direct rules was going to bid and then decided against it oh everyone on facebook got the pillow threw at them  :-[  ;)

Stephen Stephen Stephen..... ::) don't you search the eBay user names thread when you find stuff on there ???  ???  ::)  ;)

You should have bid.... some of it I bought from you in the first place!!!  :of::):laugh: :laugh:  [sure I paid more than I sold it for too... :-\ ::);)

Stephen Stephen Stephen..... ::) don't you search the eBay user names thread when you find stuff on there ??? ???  ::)  ;)

You should have bid.... some of it I bought from you in the first place!!!  :of::):laugh: :laugh:  [sure I paid more than I sold it for too... :-\ ::);)

i may have searched the thread ages ago but man my memory is'nt that good anyway hope i done you no harm  ;)