The Great Trailer Debate. Split from Sorry Looking Kane Trailer

MJB1

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as i have already said sean because of the shape they are much stronger, eg in theory it would be harder to twist than a square trailer ;)  also it is lighter so can carry more of a load ;)

as for the herrons ::)  good trailer but the paint is rubbish :of  fades in no time redrock is the only paint ;)

redrocks bleak paint cupid on tankers anyway :D

Just to add to the halfpipe/monocoque theories, as far as I thought (going by commercial manufacturers) the half pipe was designed for low capacity/high wieght applications. With silage, the capacity needs to supersede the designed wieght. For example a 14t monocoque trailer load of grass may only actually take 7t. A halfpipe of 14t would be a smaller trailer again by capacity wouldn't it? Due to it's shape? So you may get less wieght/capacity in it again. I am sure for rubble, soil etc as we see our european cousins using them (Kramp/Joskin etc) they are unbeatable but for an operation where the capacity is important I can't see them being any better at all than a square box with high sides.  ???

Well i work for Dale Kane (noels brother) his son just bought a new small 3 or 4 tonner and tipping a load of logs out of it, it simply bends the tail door, all their sides are all folded and pressed this how they can get them so light but sometimes extra strength could be needed. also it to do with the thickness of the plate noel and colin i would seriously check out the other brands first before i bought any new stuff off them ;)

I'm not sure that's true if you've got the bender though... big investment to make... but a much quicker process I'd wager... asuming it's done on a hoooooge break press type thingy  :-\

Interesting debate... one which I am enjoying... Not being a farmer myself.. and being a tractor owner (or two).. I have an unhealthy interest in trailers of all kinds...

I think my next trailer will be a contractor style dumper... possibly halfpipe styleee or traditional wedge shaped... so keep the information coming please people

sure i am in the steel business. i have seen some of the stuff that goes on in the workshop does make you think, the halfpipes must be a step in the right direction for kane by time there all over ireland and a few appearing here and a few in england, so there doing something right!

Second hand dumptrailers are dirty cheap well they are hard to get rid of after some work has been taken out of them but definatley look about for the one with best after sale service and the strongest if you are moving hardcore fill or anything dodgey 8)

anything dodgey... how dare you  :of:D :D  ... I am thinking about a new one next time... I use my Bailey dumper for hauling soil... but I reckon I get a good 12-13t in a trailer designed for 8.5t of grain  :-[  ... I had 12t of sand in it today for a mate too  :-[

Murray... I am also in the Iron and Steel business...

My wife does the ironing... I do all the stealing  ;D

must be big yards down that country and wide gates,12 ton kanes struggle with some gate here  ::)

we are good driver down here

not far from o brien brother never shoe that trailer

i would think a half pipe would be a strong trailer that like the square one

alot more work in bending and shaping steel, to just making a box  ;)  so more one in making a halfpipe id say

The body would be rolled in sections and welded together alot less welding than a monocoque design, and its welding that takes the time. Would be easier to paint with no corners/overlap to worry about