The Great Trailer Debate. Split from Sorry Looking Kane Trailer

MJB1

I think the trailer debate really depends on where you are from - for example at home I have never seen a Kane simply because Smyth, Toomey, Broughan are all produced nearby, similarly the Northern lads probably never see a Smyth. And similarly with Mark and Gav's area I bet they never see any of them only Bailey, Marston, Richard Western.

Debate is nearly like the old colour wars ::)

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the trailer debate really depends on where you are from - for example at home I have never seen a Kane simply because Smyth, Toomey, Broughan are all produced nearby, similarly the Northern lads probably never see a Smyth. And similarly with Mark and Gav's area I bet they never see any of them only Bailey, Marston, Richard Western.

the debate is about boys that have used the trailers mentioned, and boys that have never used these trailers and try telling us that they are alot of dirt  ;)

Quite right Colm, I don't know of any of these trailers over this way. Locally two contractors run 18 ton Bunnings trailers, one runs 16 ton Western's and two older 10 ton ones of unknown make, one runs 14t AS Marston's and the other runs Stewarts and Bailey's models. no good to them buying a trailer from hundreds of miles away in case they need parts for them in a hurry.

Quite right Tris, I don't know of any of these trailers over this way. Locally two contractors run 18 ton Bunnings trailers, one runs 16 ton Western's and two older 10 ton ones of unknown make, one runs 14t AS Marston's and the other runs Stewarts and Bailey's models. no good to them buying a trailer from hundreds of miles away in case they need parts for them in a hurry.

Tris.. Tris... isn't that Colm  :of;D:-*;)

the debate is about boys that have used the trailers mentioned, and boys that have never used these trailers and try telling us that they are alot of dirt  ;)

Yes Murray - but the trailer all of your boss' buy depends on what part of the country/Europe you come from ;)

For what it is worth apart from older wooden trailers I have used Smyth, Redrock, Toomey and Thorpe. The Smyth is soft I felt, Thorpe a little high (from the floor to the wheels), Toomey - nice early steel trailer - pity they are not mass produced. Redrock was the best all rounder.

You missed out other priorities in life these days ::)

:D :D :D  - oh so I did Ben.. sorry  :D :D

I've used Bailey (a fair old bit)... bloody brilliant trailers... strong as an ox.. but heavy so they take some lugging.. almost over-engineered but by far my favourite

Marston... big (14t) and most recently small... (4t)... both good trailers but paint crap.... brakes weak too

Griffiths.... pile of junk... horrible and weak. never again willl I buy one of these...

Bunning... although old and worn out.. I often borrow my mates 11tonner... nice trailer... pulls a treatand very well built.. when it was newer it would give thr Bailey a run for it's money

Rolland... I only wish I'd used one  :-[:-*:D :D

I did do some work for a local chap who would only ever buy Bunnings or Bailey's trailers, he said they were the only two worth considering, you pay for what you get.

We have two AS 14t trailers at work, a 1995 and 1996 model, the floor is now starting to go in the older one, its like looking through a sieve in places, just adjusted all the brahes up on that one so we now kiss the windscreen if we stop in a hurry ;D

I've now used Western, Bailey, Bunning, AS, Stewart and R & R trailers. The Bunnings would have to be one of the smoothest riding and easiest pulling trailers with the Bailey coming a close second. The Western's however were always giving us grief with leaf springs, brakes and tailboard rams :-\  we had a new Bunning's and a new AS where I used to work, the latter looked like it was built out of tin cans compared to the Bunning

Yes with out a doubt kane are turning out trailer sure just look at their new tri-axel silage trailer now that is a beast how i have not seen many in the north but aparently a few down south, "well they are on my doorstep" basically so if i was buying a new trailer i would give them a look ;)

Yes Murray - but the trailer all of your boss' buy depends on what part of the country/Europe you come from ;)

For what it is worth apart from older wooden trailers I have used Smyth, Redrock, Toomey and Thorpe. The Smyth is soft I felt, Thorpe a little high (from the floor to the wheels), Toomey - nice early steel trailer - pity they are not mass produced. Redrock was the best all rounder.

not trying to be smart but how do you mean the symth are soft? I have used dooley and herron trailers both very good trailers

not trying to be smart but how do you mean the symth are soft? I have used dooley and herron trailers both very good trailers

Not at all Shorten - I and several others thought the steel was very soft and easy to bend in them - that is what I meant by soft. Agree 100% about Dooley - looking for a 14/16ft trailer at the minute and would buy a Dooley if one came at the right price ;)

Not at all Shorten - I and several others thought the steel was very soft and easy to bend in them - that is what I meant by soft. Agree 100% about Dooley - looking for a 14/16ft trailer at the minute and would buy a Dooley if one came at the right price ;)

dooley are a lovely trailer to pull. i know were there is a 14 foot but it wont be sold. hard enough to find id say

Marston... big (14t) and most recently small... (4t)... both good trailers but paint crap.... brakes weak too

Griffiths.... pile of junk... horrible and weak. never again willl I buy one of these...

Interesting to see you make that comment as both makes are basically the same trailer -  the Marston, Griffiths, ECE, Gull and Ken Wooton brands are all built by Marston Agricultural Services and are pretty much the same basic trailer. 

Like a few others here, I've never seen an agricultural half-pipe round here (Lincolnshire), and have never heard of Kane trailers.  Cemex run a few 44 tonne artics with half pipe bodies out of local quarries, but I don't think I've seen any others at all. 

Apart from being more straightforward to make (once you have the rolling equipment), I would think they are more stable due to having the greatest part of the total weight in the middle, particularly important for high density material such as aggregate, or even tarmac which may tend to 'hang' to the floor and not tip out evenly (anyone who has seen an artic fully tipped with part of its load stuck up one side will know what I mean!!)

As others have said, most brands are very regional in their popularity, although both Bailey and Marston of our local Lincs brands are marketed over a substantial part of the UK.  Another very good local manufacturer is Armstrong and Holmes (on a par with Bailey for strength), but you don't see many A & H further afield.

As to whether one make is better  than another,  you often get what you pay for - if you want a strong trailer, you can't expect it to be the cheapest.

here's 2 names to add to the debate, Easterby and Triffit both very good and very popular around here, never seen kane round these parts. Used a rollant 12ton once, brilliant!.

Glad you mentioned our region's two most well known trailer manufacturers Pete. My Uncle runs a pair of 8 tonne Triffitts on his farm in Dalby Forest and being a very brand loyal person wouldn't have anything else. My friends who farm at Stamford Bridge also run a pair of well maintained examples, the Triffitts being manufactured just down the road from them at Full Sutton. Here's one of their older Triffitts in action this summer:

DSC05077.jpg

Most of the farmers and contractors based around here run either Triffitts or Easterbys, the main local silaging contractor runs a mixed fleet of both manufacturers but I genuinely don't know which are the better trailers having only briefly used my friends Triffitts, old wooden siders and a borrowed 8 tonne Ken Wootton, I think a lot of it comes down to brand loyalty. There's a good number of Griffiths and Richard Westerns to be seen on farms around here too and a number of the big potato growers seem to run Gull root trailers.

There's also another local manufacturer ( i'm not sure if they still exist ) by the name of Scaling, there's a good number of these still being used around here, dark blue body with red wheel rims, never seen anything bigger than 10 tonne grain examples of these.

Here's a 12 tonne Easterby that lives a mile or two down the road from me:

DSC05286.jpg

The only trailer i've seen this year in the flesh that looked ever so slightly different from the "norm" was this one manufactured by a company called Wolds Trailers being run by Birdsall Estates:

DSC05399.jpg

Hope these are of interest, David.

It is pretty old... it's got Wrexham on the decal if that helps.. and the drawbar is made of mild cheddar  ;D;)

Ours is of a similar age i think Marky. 1989 i think. All we have had to with ours is weld one hub up which considering its age isn't too bad. I reckon you got a friday afternoon machine.

Now we have just bought a 10t marston of a similar age. Very smart trailer, has been resprayed at some point. Hopefully that won't cause too much trouble either

I guess.... to be fair... mine has had a hard old life in the past... although it's straight enough it's been plagued with problems since I've owned it... and I'm also a bit of a perfectionist with my kit too  :-[  - if something is broken or worn out then it needs replacing in my eyes