The Great Trailer Debate. Split from Sorry Looking Kane Trailer

MJB1

well i've never seen any of these irish trailers so can't comment but here in Lincolnshire as ploughmaster said all trailers are bailey and anything made by the marston group 

on our farm we have a nearly 30 year old 10t AS its not bad for its age and we also have an 11t ken wotton which is a strong its 20 years old my dad did manage to snap the chassis in half but he did have nearly 18t of muck in the back  :laugh:

and i don't think i have ever seen a ken wotton out of lincolnshire 

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well i've never seen any of these irish trailers so can't comment but here in Lincolnshire as ploughmaster said all trailers are bailey and anything made by the marston group

on our farm we have a nearly 30 year old 10t AS its not bad for its age and we also have an 11t ken wotton which is a strong its 20 years old my dad did manage to snap the chassis in half but he did have nearly 18t of muck in the back  :laugh:

and i don't think i have ever seen a ken wotton out of lincolnshire

i know its not a million miles from you but i ran a ken wotton trailer near beverley. Was a 10 tonner and a fair age, only thing wrong was the midddle support bar had snapped.

there are so many trailer manufacturers in the UK im amazed they all keep going.

UK farmers tend to view trailers as trailers and not as equipment, in my opinion French and German trailers are so far ahead in design and construction.

as far as i am aware there are meant to be 2 krampe trailers coming to caithness so i will give my verdict when they come  ;D

.... in my opinion French and German trailers are so far ahead in design and construction.

The only experience I have had with French trailers was a Rolland.  An experience I have no wish to repeat. 

The biggest problem with European trailers is that many of them have been designed to be towed from the more usual continental towing pintle, and are wrongly balanced to tow easily from a UK PUH, and are too heavy when empty.

We make perfectly good trailers here in the UK and I see no need to import them from anywhere else.  UK farmers are continually bleating that the rest of us must buy UK produced food - the same argument applies to farmers and their equipment purchases.  British farmers have already destroyed the bulk of the UK ag engineering industry, too frequently guided by the mistaken and usually erroneous "foreign is better" sheep mentality.

On a slight off shoot in this topic which is interesting . . .

Why has marky not mentioned fergie trailers???  :police: :police:

In my eyes there ain't a bad trailer made really these days, just some not as heavy duty as others, For a light -medium duty trailer Fraser ticked all the boxes, heavy duty Redrock + Kane are top dogs in N Ireland i think, Though Redrock are in hiding at current  :'( :'(

here's another name for the list ;D  foster load master, dont build trailers now i think but still build alot of grassland machines built in beverley east yorkshire. Also remember a trailer my dad used, high wooden sides, red and i think called tye! what a beast ;D ;D

i think its a combination of governments and company bosses that have messed up Agri manufacturing companies.

Nothing wrong in buying British, however British steel has always had more impurities than German steel, therefore a poorer grade.

As steel is recycled the UK gets all the crap the rest of Europe dont want.

Yes European trailers tow differently but how many farmers dont put an adequate size tractor onto a trailer,  pick up hitch design needs to be altered on UK  tractors instead of it being an after thought.

I've seen them on Massey's as well in Beauvais... I can't see where they differ too much from the standard ring and hook idea..

I really cannot knock the hitch on my MF's ... seems strong enough and works effectively - like any type of precision engineering, hitches need to be lubricated, adjusted and inspected for wear at regular intervals - I think with adequate maintenance they work effectively and most importantly... safely too

no i think the hitch design needs changing to the ball type, personally i would like to see hitches higher maybe even tow in line with the axle with a coupled pin especially for anything over 40k.

As for the 3.5 ton transferred onto the tractor that has too many variables, some tandem axle trailers have their axles too far back.

no i think the hitch design needs changing to the ball type, personally i would like to see hitches higher maybe even tow in line with the axle with a coupled pin especially for anything over 40k.

As for the 3.5 ton transferred onto the tractor that has too many variables, some tandem axle trailers have their axles too far back.

redrock have that sorted, whenever you tip your load the wieght goes to the back... yes? wel in redrocks the is small rams placed under the boggies, when the weight goes to the back and laves the tractor with no grip you flick the spool and the weight is pushed back onto the tractor, mighty hand job :of;)