The Great Trailer Debate. Split from Sorry Looking Kane Trailer

MJB1

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it all depends on what the trailer will be used for if only grain it will be in good nick after 20+ years

if its going to shift muck stone and anything else it will want to be well built to last a long time

I'll upload pics of all our trailers and their age tomorrow if i get time, grain all 250 tonnes of it is the most they get thrown at them.

The dumper, i'd love to change to a newer kane model but i'll show all in pics

the halfpipe was designed to discharge the likes of muck lime topsoil stuff like that quicker and safer has been around years on artic trailers the idea is there is no corners for the stuff to collect on as for haveing it on a silage trailer cant see the point they are just out to make a handy few pound because if one lad gets one here in ireland then every lad will have to have one we have a few kane and redrock no difference in them take a look at any of the trailers made in europe built better and safer to pull we run a few joskin as they are much better suited to the higher speed tractors than anything on the irish market

Same kind of thoughts I have then. Also the European manufacturers versus Richard Western, MAS Group, Bailey etc. We make great trailers which match our needs, as do Irish manufacturers. There's nothing between us. When you start to mention Joskin, Krampe, Kaweco etc I think that's a whole new ball game.

a  half-pipe trailer marketed for silage would fall in to what i would call a fashion accessory ha ha!!!!!

As for the comment about a hook-loada system not being suitable for Ag use i totally disagree, a body for grain, a different one for muck/soil, rubble, flat bed  and only one chassis to maintain, insure.

As for some farms not being organised enough with logistics they are the same farms that have problems whatever they have ???????

a  half-pipe trailer marketed for silage would fall in to what i would call a fashion accessory "laugh out loud" :) !!!!

As for the comment about a hook-loada system not being suitable for Ag use i totally disagree, a body for grain, a different one for muck/soil, rubble, flat bed  and only one chassis to maintain, insure.

As for some farms not being organised enough with logistics they are the same farms that have problems whatever they have ??? ??? ?

I agree that a hook-loada system would work on some farms but it would be too expensive for us to implement on our farm, we would need two chassis, two or three grain bodies and two flat beds to replace what we run now. With growing potatoes we've got to have two trailers running at all times, its not a case that we could just drop a body down in this case.

For us to buy 2 new 14t Western trailers of equal specification to our current aging AS models we'd be looking at around £24-£29k, I would think that a hook-loada system would cost considerably more on top of that. At least with standard trailers there's little in the way to go wrong be it by mechanical or operator error unlike the hook-loader system. I would imagine the hook-loada system would come into its own on grain only farms where a one chassis/2 body system would certainly work

a hook-loada system would work well if you needed one chassis cos on a grain one like gav said you could swap bodies in the field at harvest time leaving one to be filled while you empty the one

but for silage potatoes etc it wouldn't work cos you need several trailers on the go all the time

intresting on the link ricky sent they don't actually call these new shape ones halfpipes, just mono same as the older looking ones???

as mentioned each country makes what suits local  farmers, and truth be known theres very little between any of them, but as tris said the likes of rolland and kramp ,the more euro brands would prob put our england/ireland  stuff to shame quallity wise,size wise, and paint wise

quite a few rollands apperaing this way mark, all silage it must be said, and spreaders like the siku model, several tri axel ones to silage wise, can rememberthem back in the 80's when they first appeared and even then they cost a lot more, but looked so much better built

Same kind of thoughts I have then. Also the European manufacturers versus Richard Western, MAS Group, Bailey etc. We make great trailers which match our needs, as do Irish manufacturers. There's nothing between us. When you start to mention Joskin, Krampe, Kaweco etc I think that's a whole new ball game.

[/quote ]totally different ball game we have a few tractors running at 65k and the joskin really is the way to go for this speed