Old farm photo's in Aberdeen & the Shire

BC

Over the Christmas holiday period I was helping dad to floor more of his house loft and I came across two fairly old black and white photos and in frames up there and guess what they were in a National Lottery bag so as well as gaining a bag for my collection of plastic bags I gained two old photos with a family connection.

The first one is a photograph taken in 1913 at Coullie Farm in Udny Aberdeenshire. As can be seen from the photo there were six pair of Clydesdale's and as dad said..."it must have been a fair toon" the Doric for " must have been a fairly large"  farm in its day.

Now the grieve ( farm manager) was George Cruickshank who was my granddads cousin.

23012010005.jpg

23012010002.jpg

23012010001.jpg

Look at the nice old fashioned style of writing in ink

23012010003.jpg

Now George then progressed from grieve to farmer when he set up farming on his own at a farm called Laverick Brae's in the Bridge of Don area of Aberdeen. My dad recalls as a boy taking the tram car from the Bridge of Dee to Woodside and then walking to the farm to help on Saturdays. He got 10 shillings for this which must have been good money back then given George stopped farming in 1945.He then bought a hose nearby called Cluny House and died when he was in his 80's.

The next picture is of his byre and helping him would have been his daughter Mary.

Being black and white I can't decide if Friesans or Ayrshire's ???

23012010004.jpg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They are fantastic Bill - especially the last one. Show how much the herd was valued to have that kind of shot. I would say Ayrshire's by the look of them.

That last ones so good you should make a card of it!

Thanks Jo maybe I should remove that one from the frame and do just that. Pre 1945 I suppose that was a fair size of a herd in that byre. I must ask dad if he can remember what size of herd George actually had.

I'm sure I have other smaller black and white photos of tractors etc at that farm. My dad was the executor for his two daughters Mary and Bella who were never married.The big house was sold as money ran short and I think Bella was in a sheltered cottage in the end. I remember visiting Cluny as a child and although I can't remember what car she had ( she was a secretary at the nearby Grandholm Tweed Mill ) but her car registration number was SAV 6....worth a mint today me thinks.

Well I have found the envelope of old black and white photos which dad gave of of Laverick Braes Farm and Cluny House Danestone Bridge of Don. I have only taken photos but maybe I should try the scanner facility on my printer but well I have never got round to trying that,

Well anyway apologies for quality but these must be 60 to 70 year old photos.

First George's retirement home Cluny Danestone

23012010006.jpg

Was this one near the end of the spool ??? 

23012010007.jpg

Now a horse and horse lorry

23012010008.jpg

Harvest time with 3 Clydesdale's on the binder

23012010009.jpg

Next a mare and foal

23012010010.jpg

Looks like horse and cart with milk churns aboard

23012010011.jpg

Now one of the girls either Mary or Bella with a Clydesdale

23012010012.jpg

Now harvest time and building the haystacks or "rucks" as know in Aberdeenshire

23012010013.jpg

Now George in the bowler hat..suspect it must have been a Friday and a mart day ???

23012010014.jpg

A pair ploughing

23012010015.jpg

Back to the binder and 3 Clydesdale's

23012010016.jpg

Back to the haystacks after the "leading" had been done

23012010017.jpg

Three horse on the binder again,

23012010018.jpg

23012010019.jpg

Now a tractor which I would say is a Grey case circa 1936 ish on the rollers. Dad thinks this was a contractor from the Newmachar area. Quite possible with those large headlamps

23012010020.jpg

Now the some of the Cruickshank clan at an Aberdeen Spring Show in the Hazelhead area.

23012010021.jpg

From Right to Left

Granddad Edward

Uncle Jim dad's younger brother

George sitting in bowler

Behind him my dad Edward

Next my mum Elma but she may not have been a real Cruickshank then

Gladys Cruickshank dad's eldest brother David's wife. I assume David was on the box brownie

Isabel Cruickshank or may have been Westland by then dad's elder sister

And finally Mary's George's eldest daughter who ran the house and assisted in the dairy too

blimey what an insight into the local history of your area! very interesting

alex

Thanks Alex. Well it is and even better when I know who some of the people are. Again I do apologies for the quality of the shots but they are quite old.

What a fantastic collection of old farming photographs Bill, thanks for posting them up they're all absolutely fascinating. :)  That looks very much like a Case Model C, although I could be wrong.

Yes it's a Case C David.

• 2 weeks later...

really nice history from those old photo's bill thanks for posting them  :)

lets get this right , you also have a plastic bag collection  ???:of

you do know the difference between a collector & a hoarder right bill ? ;)

really nice history from those old photo's bill thanks for posting them  :)

lets get this right , you also have a plastic bag collection  ???:of

you do know the difference between a collector & a hoarder right bill ? ;)

Yes I must get round to photographing the plasic bag collection Marcus  but I think only for my own self gratification and not to have the urine extracted on here ;) ;)

I suspect I'm really a collector and a hoarder ???

I must apologise for picture quality but well I don't want to remove from their frames. These will have to go into the tractor shed mini musuem though ;D ;D

Be careful, Bill.  Damp and or constant changes of temperature can really damage old photos especially in frames as condensation can form behind the glass. 

Personally I would take them out of the frames and scan them to ensure a good copy to keep as insurance. That also gives an opportunity to clean the glass thoroughly before resealing them.  You will be amazed the dirt that accumulates as I have been doing just that with photos from the 1880's that used to hang on the wall in my grandmother's house.  Decades of soot on the inside of the glass AND on the photos.

Better to keep them in a more constant environment than your tractor shed regardless of how well you have insulated it.

I suspect I'm really a collector and a hoarder ???

well at least that gives me some sort of a clue which directioni seemto be going in then  :-\ ;D

why were they consigned to the attic bill ? have you not seen them before ? or just something long forgotten about ? i can't think for the life of me if dads got anything like that from his dad , photo's i daresay but no large frame prints like that

Well when I found them in my parents loft Marcus and they were taken downstairs mum made the comment that they were kept for the frames. Maybe it was her diplomatic way of saying they were not from here side of the family or she didn't want them to adorn the walls of her house ??? ???

Be careful, Bill.  Damp and or constant changes of temperature can really damage old photos especially in frames as condensation can form behind the glass. 

Personally I would take them out of the frames and scan them to ensure a good copy to keep as insurance. That also gives an opportunity to clean the glass thoroughly before resealing them.  You will be amazed the dirt that accumulates as I have been doing just that with photos from the 1880's that used to hang on the wall in my grandmother's house.  Decades of soot on the inside of the glass AND on the photos.

Better to keep them in a more constant environment than your tractor shed regardless of how well you have insulated it.

Thanks Sue currently keeping warm in a built in warddrobe ;) ;)

Archived