sparrow legs farm layout

sparrow legs

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's what I'm hoping but then I've 600 Britains ones as it is, space could be a problem!! Could do with a few D1010's or Welfar's though.

600 they are the conventional bales yes ?

doesnt balsa wood only come in sheets though marky ?

for  big square bales the styrafoam insulation board is what i found best ,

strip the silver paper off, then just cut bale shapes out of them ,this can be done on a bandsaw or a wood saw even a hacksaw will do this & it will give the rough surface effect that is straw to a point :) 

my sizes came from the britains lorry body  IE : the length of the bale is the width of the body ,

the height of bale is the height of the cab headboard ,( but there is insulation board this thick to buy already.)

& cut to fit 6 bales to fit the length of the body for width ,

best bit is they are as light as sponge but as rigid as plastic & once you've pushed the pallet forks or bale spike into them you've got the holes there for loading & unloading every time  :) :)

as a rule of thumb 3 bales wide should cross 1 bale long approx.

the same method for wrapped silage is the same as the sponges,just dip them in a black water paint solution :) :)

600 they are the conventional bales yes ?

doesnt balsa wood only come in sheets though marky ?

for? big square bales the styrafoam insulation board is what i found best ,

strip the silver paper off, then just cut bale shapes out of them ,this can be done on a bandsaw or a wood saw even a hacksaw will do this & it will give the rough surface effect that is straw to a point :)?

my sizes came from the britains lorry body? IE : the length of the bale is the width of the body ,

the height of bale is the height of the cab headboard ,( but there is insulation board this thick to buy already.)

& cut to fit 6 bales to fit the length of the body for width ,

best bit is they are as light as sponge but as rigid as plastic & once you've pushed the pallet forks or bale spike into them you've got the holes there for loading & unloading every time? :) :)

as a rule of thumb 3 bales wide should cross 1 bale long approx.

the same method for wrapped silage is the same as the sponges,just dip them in a black water paint solution :) :)

Thanks Marcus... does anyone know the rough diamentions in cm's of a standard bale ? - Would be nice to make true scale ones if at all possible  ;)

balsa should be ok mark very light and cheap,and it comes in block 2" square ,or the styreen mj suggested is a good idea,you could cut that with a heated cheese wire

Thanks TM - off to the wood suppliers today or tomorrow - I think I'll get some balsa to experiment with at least - although Marcus's idea seems to be easier  ;)

as for conventional bales i got about 200 of them, anymore to fill a shed & i scan & clone them on the magic lectrik box for an A4 sheet of them? ;)

Brilliant Idea using your your lectric box Marcus - Made those spud boxes look really good in your new barn that time  ;) - Should have the real ones made shortly though  ;)

Thanks Tris - I'll tinker with some tonight on the Bandsaw? ;)

Yeah and having bought almost 300 off of DT you'll come on here tomorrow having made an artic load in 1/2 an hour for a fiver. Now ya tell me. .. cheers mate, nice one!!!  ::);)

deere-est, am afraid they are glued on solid, too fragile to make them slide as the shed gets knocked about when transporting it to shows ect, but set so they look as if they move.

the 40 series is a 7740 by DT, if you look closley the exhaust is missing as it fell off as i was placing it on the layout, glued back on now thoe. I am in the middle of making a  ford/newholland 8340 after seen how the 7740 was done, got a resin 6cyl bonnet ect for it.

I did notice the chuffer had fallen off when I looked at for the second time. Love it though, you just can't get good low hp tractors on the shelf from the mid nineties. See your point with the shed door, didn't take into account the fact you move it about alot. Keep us up to date with the 8340!! ;)