FTF Trip - Co-Op Farms, Down Ampney

Deere-est

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few more from the visit, hopefully not too many repeats.

First up the main buildings on airfeild Farm.

The grain pit/elevator which is linked to the drier

th_IMG_0036.jpg

The older grain store. Notice the now mainly disused overhead conveyor system from the grain pit/elevator/drier. In the main at harvest time the grain coming in is tipped in the yard and then either put the pit/drier or store depending on moisture content. They find it easier to use a telehandler and 2 1/2ton grain bucket for this.

th_IMG_0039.jpg

One of the newer grain stores again showing the overhead conveyor system

th_IMG_0040.jpg

Sorry I had problems with some of the photos I've added. FTF and Photobucket do not seem to be agreeing with each other. Some photos are showing upside down on FTF but are fine on Photobucket!

Anyone know why?

I've converted all the problem photo's to clickable thumbnails and that seems to have sorted the problem.

Apologies for the odd presentation..........

Some more trailers

IMG_0051.jpg

Two 18t capacity Rolland grain trailers which James reckon were too big for his operation (and this is a 5200 acre operation). He did rate the tyres and suspension though and hoped to specify this setup on any new trailer acquired.

IMG_0052.jpg

Richard Weston

IMG_0056.jpg

The spraying setup and more of the Xerion and Axion -

IMG_0068.jpg

IMG_0071.jpg

IMG_0073.jpg

th_IMG_0079.jpg

The Xerion front weight box. It was huge as hopefully you can tell from Jame's leg - weighs 2 1/2tonnes and is about 3/4 full of concrete. The remaining space is used as a tool box and the front and top fold out to form a workbench - we all reckoned Tris could live inside it quite comfortably!!

IMG_0081.jpg

The Lexion 570+ Montana which James fired up and showed us the suspension adjustment that it possesses. The photos show some of the positions James was able to set suspension at

th_IMG_0100.jpg

th_IMG_0101.jpg

th_IMG_0102.jpg

th_IMG_0103.jpg

th_IMG_0104.jpg

I would have thought the more 18t trailers the better given the harvesting capacity!!!! Do they do all the grain hauling themselves??

The problem with the 18t trailers seemed in the main to be the field performance and overall size. Required a big hp tractor in the field and were a problem on the B roads and narrow lanes around the estate. Also the cost of spares such as new brake shoes etc was far higher with these large trailers.

The vast majority of grain haulage they do themselves, they have around 8 grain trailers. They use artics/bulk trailers for moving grain around the farms once its been harvested. So for example they will cut and drop the grain at another farm on the estate near to where they are cutting and then call in an artic to collect from the other farm and bring to Airfield Farm for the drier or to put into the big stores. They will bring in contractors if they need additional capacity.

Strange that they leave the trailers tipped slightly (I assume to stop water pooling in them)... if that is the case... I think I'd drill a 6mm hole in each corner and 'plug it' at harvest time with a gutter bolt or two  :-\  .. that was the rams would be stored closed and not part open  :-\

Is that why they are tipped Trissy ???

That looks like a brilliant day out surrounded by some very impressive equipment, thanks for sharing all the photographs. Great to see the "other side" to my employer's business. I've seen some of their equipment working before on land they farm at Goole and have also taken note of the fact they farm Wykeham Estates which I never realised until now, which is only a dozen miles away from me. :) 

Strange that they leave the trailers tipped slightly (I assume to stop water pooling in them)... if that is the case... I think I'd drill a 6mm hole in each corner and 'plug it' at harvest time with a gutter bolt or two  :-\  .. that was the rams would be stored closed and not part open  :-\

Is that why they are tipped Trissy ???

your rigt mark,thats why they are left tipped if left outside, so the water runs out,we used do that at the velcourt and hampshire farm i worked at

The 816's pull the grain trailers but even those would not be legal. I think this is another factor for downscaling as James mentioned the need for ribbed aluminium trailers. Just for interest, the Xerion when fully ballasted wieghs 17 tonnes!!

Yes, Mark. You are right. Trouble with drilling holes is that it doesn't take long for the paint to start receeding and rust setting in.

Thanks for all the replies by the way chaps :)

Would the Xerions be down sized as well or just the trailers??

The Axion looks a fair peice of kit!!!

The Xerion is not used for trailer haulage. Its roles on the farm are cultivation with the Vaderstad Topdown and Carrier and spraying. At harvest time the Xerion is closely following the combine and baling teams cultivating ready for sowing next years crop. If I recall correctly fro what James said the combines can cut around 150 to 200 acres a day if everything is right. The Xerion can cover around 70 to 120 acres a day. So having the Xerion cultivating asap is important.

The impression I got from James regarding grain trailers was that the 'ideal' for him would be a 14t Richard Weston with an alloy body and Rolland suspension and wheels. The 2 18t Rollands will stay on the farm unless someone else in the Co-op group wants them, James just has to manage their use.

The Axion was a nice piece of kit, James rated it highly and said it was the best tractor he had driven.

I'm not sure about the running gear of the Rollands being favourable, Peter. Brake shoes were not found so had to be relined and the tyres were £1800 each!! All round a good trailer but all round an unjustified purchase by James, predecessor.

I'm not sure about the running gear of the Rollands being favourable, Peter. Brake shoes were not found so had to be relined and the tyres were £1800 each!! All round a good trailer but all round an unjustified purchase by James, predecessor.

I didn't mention running gear Tris, just said, as James did, wheels/tyres and suspension. Perhaps you missed part of the conversation. He wasn't impressed with the cost/ease of repairing the brakes.The expensive tryres I thought were on the Topdown?

That's the part of the conversation I was referring to as I asked how much a tyre like those on the Rollands cost  :laugh: I thought wheels and suspension as well as tyres and brakes fall under 'running gear'  :laugh: :laugh:

The Topdown tyres I believe were up towards £800 and a regular change.

800 quid a tyre??  blimey whats so special about them then? rollands have always been expensive for parts, tuckwells used to sell them ,but the after sales costs usally put most farmers off keeping them to long, and in the end put paid to them selling at all, although it was mentioned about selling them again sometime as a good few people have enquired about them