Harvest 2010

Smithy140

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That concept fergie looks a rare thing, not sure how we would get that though some of our gates though :-\

i guess the articulation on the main unit is for access issues, but that header???? its either 2 or 3 parts or it wont go , i gues if these young collage guys didnt come up with ideas like this we would never move forward, i bet a few bits from that appear in the coming years

The designer has a point though, combines will struggle to get wider or taller for transport issues... Length however. . ..

As for us lot down here in Wiltshire, some have been going, some have not. The week starter well with a 60ac piece of spring barley cut and baled on Monday and then Tues evening due to showers on Tues morning. Then Wednesday I started a 9ac piece of wheat which with 1/2 and acre left I got rained off!! If it wasn't 4 - 4.2t/ac I would have finished it before the rain I expect!

Today, the TF42 began to rise from the ashes and we got the parts to start rebuilding it. Not half as bad as our dealer told us it was. Dealers nowadays don't want to mess with old stuff requiring some thought, improvising and mechanical skill. They want the new, big stuff and replacement parts. I don't know what will happen when the older chaps with a lifetime of knowledge are gone, them chaps will always get you going somewhen. The new breed, if they can't fix it with a laptop, they can't fix it with anything.  :-\

Typical output from a University student - no real world experience!!  [img alt=;)]http://www.farmtoysforum.com/forum/Smileys/default/wink.gif

Exactly the type of comment made when the MF 21 came in, will never replace the binder etc etc etc. A farmer with a MF 780 and 8'6" header would look at the idea of Lexions pushing 40 foot headers in the same way, too big, too wide, too heavy, will never work here, yet the Lexions are market leaders. New ways of getting the harvest will be introduced, the machines will be bigger, will be designed to use electric motors and very likely will not need a cab. Never forget Britain is a minnow in the world of grain production, these machines will be tiny in the vast expanses of Eastern Europe, Western Asia and South America. They will be harvesting for human/animal consumption and bio fuel. British harvests may well be distant memory in the minds of the retired farm workers since the countryside was consumed by urban expansion and the remainding land has been turned into a giant park for the recreation of the population.

Might be a bit big for uk farms :of , but I suspect this beast will be found in the US and australia were narrow gateways arn't to common. Maybe in the photo there should have been a road train next to it rather than a massey with trailor.

To be honest, I'm surprised they have'nt made it yet, No more enginearing in that than in some of the massive mine and tunnel machines these days

and if it goes wrong or even runs away thunderbirds could come and stop it...FAB! ;D  as I'm sure I have seen one of them in a film Haha

you do see some great machinery malc, and even in the poorest of light you get some superb pictures, keep them coming

Thanks!  :)  I've got loads more to put up, it's just getting time really. I'm changing network providers at work this weekend - so need to make changes to the routers, core switches, servers, VPN links, firewalls and remote client sites. Oh the joys. However, it should be 5 times faster afterwards!

/m.

I've about 40 acres of wheat left where I am and another 30 at another farm. A couple of bits of beans and 30 acres or so of spring barley still to cut at another customers. Rain showers, damp days.. .. it's dragging out a bit now. Be sorry to see the end of harvest when it does come though.

As you can see, the weather is being less than kind for photography, but at least it's dry enough to get cutting this week!

I've been looking for these guys for a bit now - a 580TT and a 600TT working in the same field...  :D :D :D

post-1701-132639431645_thumb.jpg

post-1701-132639431785_thumb.jpg