Tools for Hobby Modeller

Deere-est

Question

A new topic for everyone to make use of.

Please add your own experiences of tools from the most simple to the most complexed. Whether hand operated or power operated.

It would be helpful to everybody if you included:

Some photos and product information.

How much it cost.

What you use it for.

How long you have had it.

Whether it replaced another tool.

Also, is it any good?!

Thanks in advance.

:)

Splashed out on an RP Toolz mitre cutter after reading some good reviews on it. Have struggled a bit getting 1394 nose guard done with the angles and size involved, thought this might help future projects. Solid piece of kit, as yet to be tested. Also had a Birch leaf maker, other types of leaf available, should fill the winter evenings tree making.

20190807_172218.jpg

• Like 1

I have had my Dremel three or four years, Brian. I have not used it quite so much in the last year I must admit but they are a superb tool.

If you can make what you do with the tools that you have that's great but don't knock others who cannot or chose differently, eh?

Good topic Trissie!!!

Here is some of the tools that i use..

Proxxon KS230 table saw: i bought for about one month ago and all i can say...Exellent tool,just amazing!!!! 130 euros

Proedge for platic cut: for precision cut,cant live without them.I bought them for 1-2 years ago  ;)  25 euros

post-1581-132639438128_thumb.jpg

post-1581-132639438129_thumb.jpg

Here was what i used to use mainly:

It was all very useful, especially the saw, blades and sanding block.

:)

http://www.drapertools.com/b2c/b2citmdsp.pgm?pp_skmno=21835&ipadd=

You mean what i use Jez  :D ...com on now mate lets see some brass build again!!!

I have the saw and it is very nice but not the sanding block  ;)

Well I don't do much in this line other than the SCALEdown build of a Farmall A earlier this year.

My tools were rather minimalistic and were probably all acquired other than the brass brush for cleaning the larger pieces of castings.

Just a few pairs of small tweezers, a magneto file, a round file, a scriber and a pin vice which could hold small drills to clean out any holes in the castings

FANO8.jpg

FANO17-1.jpg

FANO9.jpg

mmmm table saw is tempting!

so far, a small chopper, like Sean has, for cutting plastruct. have good and bad days with it, like most tools!, Thinking about either getting another to just use for straights, rather than keep changing the angle plate. Ideal for people who don't get much time as not expensive!.....have my eye on another version though that EMA stock!! ;D ;D ;D

This one is £7.95 and comes with two types of blades,

http://www.proopsbrothers.com/ (website seems to not show anything up for some reason?)

here's ebay link

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MULTI-ANGLE-CRAFT-AND-HOBBY-GUILLOTINE-/350288626620?pt=UK_Papercraft_Tools_Accessories_2&hash=item518ed443bc#ht_537wt_820

replaced, well nothing really, just allows me to cut the same angle on the frames, i guess though, no need to make a jig up, although more thinking required when gluing!

looks a tidy buy that pete, i asume you can do all sorts of angle cuts with it to??, whats it like on finner say 3mm L angle plastic, stuff like that,

to date all i really have are 3 good metal scapels,two  small blade  and one large ,  a old battered dremmel, and a cheapo hand cut mitre block, and the cutter ben mentioned, but that bench may be a good investment

looks a tidy buy that pete, i asume you can do all sorts of angle cuts with it to??, whats it like on finner say 3mm L angle plastic, stuff like that,

to date all i really have are 3 good metal scapels,two  small blade  and one large ,  a old battered dremmel, and a cheapo hand cut mitre block, and the cutter ben mentioned, but that bench may be a good investment

Yes Sean that is the best part that you can cut all sorts of angles and the cut is perfectly straight.

So go get one and give us some more combines mate  :D :D

Never actually got around to posting up the photo's of the tools I use did I?!  ::)

Well here they are, non powered to start.

1. Snippers. These have different bottom blades to cut angles (shown) and  .. .

2. for cutting anything, box/square profile and tubes. Local model shop, £20 I think, maybe closer to a tenner though.

3. Precision screwdrivers (perfect for the plinth displayed UH's of late) and Needle files. Around a fiver per set at Focus.

4. General hand tools, scalpel/craft knife, pointy thing  :laugh: , mitre block, razor saw and reverse tweezers. Various prices and from sets of different tools.

post-227-13263959119_thumb.jpg

post-227-13263959122_thumb.jpg

post-227-13263959123_thumb.jpg

post-227-132639591258_thumb.jpg

1. Handy arms. Each end has a crocodile clip for gripping things for painting or glueing etc. They come with a magnifying glass but I took them off. These were about £8 I think.

2. Clamps of different types, the sliding trigger type which was a about £7, G-clamps on three different sizes, again under a tenner for a pack of three. The plastic clamps are nice and cheap, about a fiver in Focus for six I think. You can get cheaper on market stalls though.

3. Measuring tools, an Oxford Mathmatics set, slide rule and, right angle rule which is the larger of two in a set for ten quid. The side rule and tape measure are from a multi set I think which was £20 or so.

post-227-132639591266_thumb.jpg

post-227-132639591272_thumb.jpg

post-227-132639591283_thumb.jpg

1. Dremel 300 which is a superb tool. Did have the variable speed switch pack up but Dremel sent a new one within

three days. I've loads of stuff for it for cutting, drilling, filing, sanding and so much more that can be done right up to tile cutting! Usually around the £50 mark I think. Also shown is the multi chuck for gripping drill bits.

2. Dremel Workstation 220 for holding the 300 in a vertical or horizontal position so you can work with both hands on the project. Has a holder for different work bits, a cable tidy and you can place it aside and use the cord attachement for finer working. Usually around the £30 - £40.

3 and 4.  My all new and as yet unused Proxxon KS230 which for more info you can see Pete's posts on page 1 of this topic. It will cut wood, plastic and metal of different thickness's, has a slide rule for measuring exact and repetitive cuts, and angle attachment for the same use and a hoover socket for sucking up filings.

post-227-132639591292_thumb.jpg

post-227-132639591299_thumb.jpg

post-227-132639591313_thumb.jpg

post-227-132639591336_thumb.jpg

well i have a dremmel and it must be 10 years plus???? as it was the wifes before we met, still going strong and is used for all sorts from models to diy

along with that i guess its 3 metal bodyed hobby knifes, a few sets of fine drill bits,2 sets of hand files, moslty small hobby ones  metric mostly, precision screw drivers, my dewalt cordless drill, mitre saw like trissy's one,the  hand powered  one, and a digital micrometer, to me tools make it easier and quicker to produce the model, and aid in better finishes, its about ease not  bare essentials, just look at greensheets stuff for a start ,bet he uses a good few tools