Is This Britains?

powerrabbit

This is the cottage that I picked up at the toy fair yesterday. I believe it's an early 1960's Britains cottage that also doubles as a barn. The pictures show it from different aspects, the first with the foot ruler gives you an idea of the size of it being almost 14 inches in length. Remove the back two end peices and put in the back with the open doorway and it's a barn. The next picture is of it all dismantled in its component parts. I think it's complete apart from one of the triangular corner peices of which the last picture shows a closeup of. If anyone does recognise this building and/or has a spare corner peice going begging or any other parts that may be missing that you recognise I would be most grateful. I can't find any reference to this building, my Britains catalogue collection only goes back to 1967 so if it is Britains it's earlier.

Cottage01.jpg

Cottage02.jpg

Cottage03.jpg

Cottage04.jpg

Cottage05.jpg

Found it! Seems like it was introduced in 1988 and produced up to 1991, 3 years. According to the catalogue it should also have an internal loft section, a ladder, support upright and a foot peice for the upright, these are the bits that are missing plus the one corner peice. Anyone having these parts spare please let me know.

Nice find. 

I have never seen one of those (wish I had) and it looks as if it is of a much stronger construction than the stable block.  If you cannot get the missing pieces you could make the loft floor and the ladder.  I am sure it would not be difficult.

Sue. The thickness of the plastic of this cottage/barn is quite thin as it seems to be moulded/pressed and is quite twisty/flexible and not as thick as the buildings such as the implement sheds/barns or the riding stables buildings. I have never seen one of these cottage/barn buildings before this one myself so bought it a little 'blind' so obviously didn't know if it was complete, it's only when you find such items that you tend to look them up and find out whats what, good way to learn. I'm sure that the missing parts will come to light somewhere in time and knowing what to look out for I'll keep my eyes peeled

Thanks Sue, that would be great. The corner pieces are very sturdy, much on a parr with the other buildings. I'm always on the lookout for Britains buildings parts as when you do find loose ones there is very often a few parts missing. I've got loads of the Atcost buildings and a mountain of spares for them as these seem to be the most common sheds. Was very lucky a couple of years ago to find the riding school set and the eventing set both all complete and in their original boxes. How rare is it to find the 'wild west' barn/building from the 1980's? Saw one Sunday unopened, chap was asking £10 for it, should have bought it me thinks!!!

Great find there. Looks to be in great condition. 

I bought the complete boxed set with playbase a few months back.  really nice set and not one you see often. 

Only problem is the door doesnt seem to fit properly. 

Please could you post some close up photos of your door so i can see what mine is missing?

Jay. Here is a larger image of the doors. I've extracted and enlarged from one of the previous pictures, may be a little out of focus but will give you an idea. They are attached by means of a sticky backed plastic strip, half over the length of one side of the doors and the other half just stuck to the inside front/side edge of the doorways in the front and side of the building. This sticky plastic on the non-sticky side is black and a sort of felt/flock surface, I would think that a couple of strips of black ducktape would be adequate and would be very similar to what is on mine.

Doors.jpg

Nice pickup and in the second picture the piece you are using is actually the hayloft floor section. This building never had a back, so all you need now is the support and the ladder :)

Happy Hunting and regards the building for a tenner, Yeah you should of picked it up  :'(

Here is the set in question

637_l.jpg

So Scot, that means to say, or at least your picture shows me, that there is not so much missing as I thought! All I have to look for is the ladder, the upright support and the support base block. No wonder I could not fathom out how the 'back' fitted, because it's actually the loft floor.  ::)

So Scot, that means to say, or at least your picture shows me, that there is not so much missing as I thought! All I have to look for is the ladder, the upright support and the support base block. No wonder I could not fathom out how the 'back' fitted, because it's actually the loft floor.  ::)

You got it Tim and I am sure at some point these bits will turn up at a show or on eBay.

Re-assembled it and worked out how the loft floor clips into it now and it all made sense, now to keep an eye out for the bits to complete it.

Good luck with your search Tim, I've been looking for a ladder for mine for the past two years without success!

I'm not a big fan of this one, it's a very flimsy construction with minimal detail, and not a patch on the clip-together buildings of the 1960s like the Wild West/barn you mentioned.

I might have a go at fabricating a ladder, the upright floor support and the foot plinth, It will serve the purpose for the time being and give me something to do of an evening. As for its flimsyness compared to the other buildings I agree but it's another Britains building, one that you don't seem to find very often and to add to the collection, still worth having. I'll have to look out for the complete boxed set if ever one comes along, you never know, it's all out there somewhere!

I have this house mint and boxed a picture of it is in my Britains only collection thread, mum and dad brought it for me new in 1989 and mum seems to think it was around £25. My version is a lot brighter red for the roof tiles, maybe its because it has always been boxed or it just could be different paint.

The roof is quite a bright red, could be that the colour in the pictures I posted looks a little lighter than the actual item but as you say, this may vary across the production time line. I'm quite surprised that, for a relativeley late produced Britains building, that there seem to be not that many around and that all have found this so interesting, perhaps because the price at the time was quite a lot that not that many were actually sold and the relative short time in production could have some bearing on this. I'm even more glad that I actually bought it now.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for that link Sean, I've put it in my watch. Also see the ladder listed as well so watching that one too. Still looking for the loft support post and block.