Why is it so hard to find a JOB!!!!!

jordantaylor

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cheers, my number is 07790382143, i have a provisional (so i can drive a tractor on the road) and im 17

I'm going to prank call you at 3am, well actually i'll be asleep so i'll get my cat to do it.

She'll be like is Mr Walls there? No.

Is Mrs Walls there? No.

Is there anybody by the name of Walls there? No, there are no walls here.

THEN HOW IS YOUR HOUSE STILL STANDING!  :of

I'll get my coat...

and when it comes to people hearing about me, its a load of tosh, most farmers are too busy to talk to other farmers about their workers, they only hear about you when you contact them and they want a reference

think your wrong with this one, in a farming community word soon gets around about the good things and bad things

i think you hit the nail on the head with your "seasonal worker " comment jordan, this time of year a lot of contractors and big farms have done the bulk of the work and are back to their basic core workforce ,machinery they hold is more than capable of the acreage with minimul staff , sadly alot of familly farms keep it in the familly, and any workers used are usally familly , ie sons or daughter, or familly friends or alikes, this is why people like tris have back up jobs like truck driving, paulali has his building work, blake has lord only knows what going by his comments , but i think you get my point, whilst i bet all of them would love to be full time farmers sadly it can be hard to achive as your finding out.

trissys comment on the cv is a very valid point, i know loads of very well qualified people who can not post a 4 page cv,hell i cant after 24 years at work, and belive me i have done a hell of a lot of courses ect, and stuff before work to,

a lot of people looking for new staff, look for a basic well laid out cv, i can tell you that as my wife does that sort of thing for work, to most people big long cv's mean two things, full of it , i think you know what i mean , or not able to stay in one place long enough to commit, straight forward clear concise list of previous jobs with minimal descreptions, if they want more info then provide it, or they will ask if they meet you .

It's natural to be judged Jordan, regardless of your walk of life. Especially if you're going to plaster the ins and outs of your employment history on websites such as Facebook and forums. I've not judged you in my posts, I've given you some of what you asked for from my own experience and opinion. Some replies in this topic are less than useful admittedly but you'll be able to skip them and concentrate on the posts which refer to what it is you are asking. Even Mark mentioning giving out personal details on an open Forum was helpful and you bit back. Nobody is painting you in a bad light but you risk doing it yourself I'm afraid. For what it's worth I don't think you're a bad chap, you're keen, you're interested, you're actively doing something in job seeking, you're at college - all of these bode well for you.

i have been told i have a short fuse and this is due to hearing the same things said all the time and i know im not the only one, some of my college mates are the same. silly, dont think, not up to the job, too young, not ready for this job or that job, calnt cope ect....

i am also a very trusting person and slighlty gullable at times like putting my number on the forum, mabee to trusting but thats me, and my cv is only done how college told me to do it,

previous plces of work and what i have done at them, but its only long as ive bullet pointed it as if i write paragraphes i will babble and then its unreadable

as for commitment and that, all i want to do is prove myself so i can keep a job and stop being a seasonal worker, i hope farmers will notice me and decide to keep me on after the harvest ect... but its the older staff they go for.

i was talking to a driver for PDM the other day and he said they had a 23 year old working for them that didnt know how to use the link arms on a tractor purely becouse nobody had showed him. and he said its sad how they ask for experience but never teach the young lads like myself and then we get slated for not having a job. its another thing that gets too me, it doesnt take 2 seconds sometimes to show somebody what to do, its a matter of not being bothered too

Few comments:

1 - CV should never be more than 2 pages, best way to start it is about you Not your qualifications your interests etc., you then only need to give a brief detail of education college and course details, then state how many a-c marks you got including Maths & English at gcse and were No more.... Write previous experience then finish it with 2 references one personal (someone not family who has known you a while, vicar solicitor etc. is good, then use Stuckleys as you other referee...

2 - there are no jobs really about i am afraid to say, my brother, myself and my 2 cousins don’t work on the farm, we were told years ago we had to do something else which we all have done and my brothers the only one left doing work in the summer whilst he finishes barrister school… They employ 2 workmen full time then another in the summer. Next week is the last for the part timer. My point after all my waffle is my dad would employ younger people for the pigs if he could because of fitness, and you need to high light things that some people may not think of….

No 1 say you are happy to wash buildings out, livestock farms have someone on a pressure washer most of the time, state if you have experience in AI or injecting animals etc.. Don’t just say I like driving tractors… No one cares how good a machinery operator you are out of college unless its purely arable units as most tractors have computers on them now and any idiot can operate it,  I took a friend home last weekend and let him have a go, I got shot cos the idiot drove across the field flat out, however he was able to get on the plough and do it because the computer puts the diff lock in the plough down etc you push one button and it cycles through the motions you just steer (with sat nav you only turn the headlands)

3 – When I was your age I was brash and thought I knew it all, theres nothing wrong with confidence, but always say you are looking to learn and for someone to teach you who has the experience and isn’t all about the technology.. state your enthusiastic but also wanting to learn, although due to your inexperience you are likely to make mistakes, but also you are a quick learner and very practical with your skill in application.

If you want someone to look at your CV you can send it to me and i can tell you what i think is good or bad... TBH not being someone who employs farm workers however you may be better off asking some of the others who are managers of units or agricultural based business's what they think. Advice is always free.

Rob

Some very valid and positive advice given on here... and I'm happy to add my ten penneth as well...

Firstly... what's in the past is in the past.... it will always be 'undoable'... but its also easy to move on and not dwell - if I were you I'd not be mentioning my accident to any potential new employer as, regardless of what you say, you'll be judged with SOME element of blame... ranging in percentage on who you are talking too - I'm NOT suggesting that you be dishonest... if you are asked, then tell them the truth, but perhaps put your 'spin' on it that you were unhappy about the way in which they kept their kit and you'd warned them politely a few times, BUT you kept your head down and did the job for fear of being labelled a trouble maker.. it's only disappointing that their denial of your warnings resulted in both them and you being taught a lesson... something like that perhaps  ;)

As a potential employer that was interested in you I'd be thinking something along the lines of

Negative

he had an accident... perhaps he drives like a pillock... or isn't really capable

POSITIVE

He's got a head for safety if he kept warning them

He's got an eye for engineering if he knows what's wrong

He's got a will to put things right which probably means he's got pride in his work (VERY important trait that)

He's NOT a trouble maker... he knew something was wrong... but he still did it - I'm NOT going to land myself with a jobsworth who will quote me the union rulebook at each and every opportunity

Now then... on the subject of CV's... I have employed hundreds of employees in the past... quite literally, so without wishing to sound arrogant, I can tell you what I'm looking for in a well written CV. As most of the others have indicated, don't make it war and peace... BUT don't limit yourself to two pages... if it takes 3 then it takes 3... if it's only 2 then so be it... BUT.... lay it out in this order and miss nothing out..

First...

Personal details...

All the usual things... as many contact methods as you can... home numbers, mobile numbers, emails.. write your DOB and put in brackets how old you are - so the potential new employee is not left doing his/her own maths  ;) ... it's things like this that show attention to detail. Add here also your driving licence details... it may only be a provisional... but put the groups you CAN drive - when obtained and the fact that it is clean (assuming it is)

Also... Criminal record - NONE - another good plus point  ;)

Also... Day sick since employment - NONE .. if it's not none then miss it out  ;) .. I don't want to employ a 'one day wonder flu' man  ;)

Next - and TO ME the most important bit of a well written CV - an 'Overview'

5 to 8 WELL THOUGHT THROUGH bullet points as to what makes you stand out from the rest... a few pointers here

* Career minded with a will to achieve

* a worker and not a clock watcher

* Keen to learn and willing to start at the bottom

* a genuine interest in farming and ALL of the associated tasks

* A team player - well disciplined and hungry for instruction

* Safety conscious

* The ability to work on his own initiative when required to do so

You get the picture I am sure... anyone who puts a CV over my desk with a GOOD overview on it scores many points straight away

Next...

School and exam results achieved

Additional qualifications - first aider perhaps ? .. if not just leave it out

Next...

Employment history to date (starting with your most lastest job first)

Keep this simple... just a list like this

Job title - company - from and to dates - reason for leaving (but in your case perhaps I'd miss this off - a good interviewer will wheedles this out of you anyway.. BE honest when asked... but let's not highlight it here) and wages (at the finish)... I'd want to know how much you've been earning... so I have an idea of your expectations with me (earnings I mean). Let me also tell you that if you've filled a good few lines with this at the age of 17 I'll be getting turned off right away.. I want to see commitment to your employers, not someone who demonstrates that they are an emotional butterfly and flits from one job to another - for whatever reason... employers rarely get rid of good employees... if you've been 'laid off' lots of times then that indicates a lot - I'd not be making my best people redundant now would I  ;)

Also... availability to work - Available for immediate start - that will also score you some points in the right circumstances

Next..

Personal references

Ideally your last employer - will this be an issue ? if not find someone who you've done something farming related with

Plus a personal reference as well... most people use an Aunt of Uncle... but try to pick one with some 'standing in the community' if you know someone like that, Doctor, Lawyer or even just a professional perhaps.

Finally

Hobbies and interests

Don't put knitting... Sport is always a good one... BUT don't put motorcross riding, or quadbiking... you might think it impresses people - but guess what I'd be thinking... I wonder how long before he's off work for 6 weeks with a broken leg

Finally...

A summary... but short and sweet... customise this to suit the job you are applying for.. mention the farm by name - make it look as it's a CV you've specifically written to bag this job - that will also go a long way - do the same in the overview if you can

"I'm in good health, I really want a CAREER in farming....I love working with PIGS/COWS/SHEEP/CABBAGES (delete as appropriate) I'm keen to learn and would be well suited to this position... that kind of thing.

Finally.. check it... double check it and then check it again, lick the stamp and hope  ;)

I'd be happy to give your CV the once over if you wish... but most of all I hope the above helps you and good luck in whatever job you apply for... THINK POSITIVE and remain that way... walk into an interview confidently shake the man/woman firmly (not so for a lady obviously) by the hand and look into their eyes with confidence - BUT.... also remember there is a saying that goes  'there is a fine line between confidence and arrogance'  ;)

a 4 page CV is a bit much really , but dont give up mate , there's fewer & fewer of us originally from farmwork still in it & unfortunately all the good jobs are dead mans shoes, it seasonal workers nowadays, just been to one farm today & is selling up at the end of the month , when i asked the tractor driver who'd been there for last 20 years what he's doing next he said he's off into town to assemble henry hoovers, he's well known & liked by the farmers & contractors alike , but there's just nothing about for him .

keep looking

if not here then raise your sights , ask tris or SPN about America or NZ  they might not help with an actual job , but may be able to help with a few pointers , the worlds a big place , go look at it

you can always go back to college in the future

must say thanks to you lot, plenty of good advice there

i have the trouble of not coming from a farming background so the only place i can get help, is on here, college or places of work. i did what college told me to do but then i go to work and its done completely different

when i did my cv college said it was fine, then i gave it to Robin Griffiths when i worked there and he picked out the bad bits, i then put my trust into robin and amended it as its what the employer wanted to see. he didnt complain abot the length as it showed everything i had done, where and when i had done it.

and when it comes to contacting farms i always explain who i am and what im doing at college ect... then i ask if they have an part time work, if they say yes or ask for more details i will give them the details they want.

if i was doing it all wrong then i would not have got my previous jobs,

i am looking around leicester and nuneaton way as there are many dairy/arable farms that way of good enough size to need a few workers, giving me more chance of finding a job if there are more places to fill

if i was doing it all wrong then i would not have got my previous jobs,

Indeed that is true buddy... It's a bloody tough old world out there at the minute.. you are paddling your 'career canoe' up a very fast flowing river at the moment... along with some more experienced people (fitted with bigger paddles.. or possibly even an outboard motor if you like) - Like I said.... KEEP POSITIVE... and STOP admitting your shortcomings... don't broadcast the fact that you are not from a farming background.. you are highlighting all the little negative aspects of potential new employee Jordan... we want positive positive positive.... oh... and positive  ;):P

Just a thought as a way to 'get in with the right people' so to speak. Like you, I am not from a farming background. My first farm job came by when a farm I used to go beating on changed hands. I was there for 5 years part and full time in the end. So see if you can go beating on some local shoots, above all else it's an interest to go on that C.V and very enjoyable. Also, Young Farmers Club. Another way of mixing with those in farming and an enjoyable interest too :)

Just a thought as a way to 'get in with the right people' so to speak. Like you, I am not from a farming background. My first farm job came by when a farm I used to go beating on changed hands. I was there for 5 years part and full time in the end. So see if you can go beating on some local shoots, above all else it's an interest to go on that C.V and very enjoyable. Also, Young Farmers Club. Another way of mixing with those in farming and an enjoyable interest too :)

This I can fully vouch for Jordan.

I joined a Young Farmers Club when I first began studying at agricultural college back in 2002 even though I wasn't brought up on farm. Whilst my own personal endeavours to gain a job specifically in the farming industry didn't materialise during this period I continued to attend meetings with the club I'd joined after i'd finished college. First and foremost it turned me from a very shy and introvert teenager when I first joined into someone who was able to compete successfully in public speaking competitions, stock judging, even stage work and pantomimes. It gave me masses of confidence and I was also able gain many more very useful "skills for life" through the positions I held during my time with the club. I was Press and General Secretary of the club for six years whilst my final year was spent as Chairman. As Tris mention's too it's a fantastic way to spend your social time and meet loads of great friends connected to farming. 

Secondly all of what I was able to achieve during my time as a "Young Farmer" went onto form the backbone of some of the most important parts of my CV, which as others have mentioned is no longer than 2 pages.

When I was interviewed for the current job i'm in by my then Area Manager he barely mentioned or asked me any questions regards my education and grades. Most of his questions instead were directed towards all the things i'd gained and accomplished within the Young Farmers Club. The skills I learnt, positions I held and confidence it gave me ( just for that interview ) definitely went along way towards me getting the job and the career i've now chosen to follow, which in my case isn't within the farming industry.

If you would like anymore information on Young Farmers Clubs i'll more than happily provide you with further information.

Here's a pretty good place to start........

http://www.nfyfc.org.uk/

Easily one of the best things i've done with my life.             

Mr Ferguson.... That reply was possibly the best, most helpful post I have read on this forum in a blooming long while..... Is there some kind of respect award I can give for it???? I know there's the one for the foe pars but that was very good and I couldnt agree more with your comments....

Rob

:D :D  .. and I shall wear it with great pride... until I get a little peckish and eat it  :-[:P:D :D

Thanks Rob.. I do appreciate the kind comment... I can't believe I wrote such a bloody long winded post  :of:-[ ... for god sake don't make your CV that long Jordan  :D :D :D

As an official 'old fart' I feel it's my duty to bore the backside off anyone mildy younger than me who is willing to listen to my somewhat insane ramblings  :)

:D :D  .. and I shall wear it with great pride... until I get a little peckish and eat it  :-[:P:D :D

Thanks Rob.. I do appreciate the kind comment... I can't believe I wrote such a bloody long winded post  :of:-[ ... for god sake don't make your CV that long Jordan  :D :D :D

As an official 'old fart' I feel it's my duty to bore the backside off anyone mildy younger than me who is willing to listen to my somewhat insane ramblings  :)

also translated as  he's the one who sit's in the corner of the mod lounge with his tartan lapblanket & matching flask mumbling to himself while others either give him a wide berth or humour him, & toss him the odd crust from their sarnies.

sad really but we like having you around mark , we cant see how you would fit into the real world ............dear old thing .............another pepermint creme mark , or a trip to feed the ducks  ???

Mr Ferguson.... That reply was possibly the best, most helpful post I have read on this forum in a blooming long while..... Is there some kind of respect award I can give for it? ??? I know there's the one for the foe pars but that was very good and I couldnt agree more with your comments....

Rob

Ignores the potty mouthed children and their somewhat childish behaviour....

But I just felt the need to report the above... just to remind us of now helpful some member can be  ;) ... or  ;) ;) as Billiam Bookbank would say... hoping to get us back on topic  ;):P:-*

Nurse.... Nurse... a spider... can you help  :of :of :of:-[