buying a real tractor

jordantaylor

hi

i am very interested and have been interested in purchasing my own tractor for a while.

im after a classic as they are a bit more in my price range than a £60,000 john deere or new holland

ive been looking at ferguson TEA-20's and countys ect... and i was wondering from the experts or owners what you thought the best tractor would be to purchase for a first timer

i want something that is quite easy to repair and run, parts are widely available ect....

i am looking to take it (wat ever i get) to vintage rallies and ploughing competitions as my uncle has an old 2f plough i could have

any advice would be great

I was looking at 35s not so long ago, they're so expensive for what they are though compared to a grey fergie for instance. i'm now slowly saving up until i find a little John Deere or something that i can look after and polish and clean and take on little runs and yeah you get the idea... I would have thought the price of older Deeres would mainly be down to availability, since John Deere were never really popular in the UK until about the 80s (so i am told), whereas fergies are everywhere, i assume that must be the main reason though, the farm i started out on (the one in the growing up on a farm topic) used to have a grey fergie and a 35, my boss was about my age at the time and he used to do baling and all that on them and everything and even today he says they were lovely tractors to drive, even after all the hours on modern tractors.

where i am working now, there is lovely county 1184, it looks in good condition and it does not look like its been used for a while and if it has its only been pumping slurry as ther is a pump on the back, im tempted to make my bossan offer for it as i know there rare and id love to do it up get it resprayed ect.. over time and take it on tractor runs ect... but use it for work aswell, tedding, mowing, carting ect... its a powerfull little tractor and i feel it should still be working and an ideal machine to start a bit of contractiing with

County's tend to command good prices these days Jordan and I suspect your boss will know that as well but there is no harm in making him an offer. The thing to remember about buying older tractors for restoration is you can end up spending a bunch of money restoring them to their former glory. I talk from experience in that I have never paid a fortune for a tractor but I have certainly spent a lot of money and time on them after buying them.

County's tend to command good prices these days Jordan and I suspect your boss will know that as well but there is no harm in making him an offer. The thing to remember about buying older tractors for restoration is you can end up spending a bunch of money restoring them to their former glory. I talk from experience in that I have never paid a fortune for a tractor but I have certainly spent a lot of money and time on them after buying them.

ahh yes, id like to see it more as an investment and a project more than anything but also use it as a starter tractor for contracting as its got some power if the engine is still in working order. it allows me to get more work and have something to take responsibility for and make it my own.

i know how much some people can spend on machines, my uncle has just had his massey ferguson 35x highway tractor restored and the loader too and it has set him back something rotten.

I am a proud owner of a ferguson T20 diesel which I have had for about 5 years. It is great little tractor I use it for a bit of plowing with my ferguson 2 furrow. I also use it for shifting bales with a single bale lifter. I you go for one I advise you check it starts without the devils liquid as they were often used on Market gardens were they were started with devils liquid. If they are like this they need a good amount of hard work ploughing etc. I hope this helps

I am a proud owner of a ferguson T20 diesel which I have had for about 5 years. It is great little tractor I use it for a bit of plowing with my ferguson 2 furrow. I also use it for shifting bales with a single bale lifter. I you go for one I advise you check it starts without the devils liquid as they were often used on Market gardens were they were started with devils liquid. If they are like this they need a good amount of hard work ploughing etc. I hope this helps

cheers mate, got to be honest if i dont get this county i will most probably go for a ferguson or a massey 35x or 135.

just my opinion on a county..well nice to look at and to see one done up. but in my opinion there awkward and only use full pulling stoner or digger trailer.. if you want to start contracting buy a 26/28/3050 john deere. or 3350/3650.

handy tractors as  have a 2650 and hard till beat.

regards

dom

just my opinion on a county..well nice to look at and to see one done up. but in my opinion there awkward and only use full pulling stoner or digger trailer.. if you want to start contracting buy a 25/28/3050 john deere. or 3350/3650.handy tractors as  have a 2650 and hard till beat.

regards

dom

:-* Mmmm, one day, one day  ::)

its alright boys

they have a 2140 at work sitting in the workshop so i might ask about both and see if hes willing to sell me one or the other

he uses it on the straw chopper but im sure the county could cope with that but then id be happy with either.

of scap both of them and have his massey 590

so much choice, just depends if hes willing to sell me any of them

i mean the county is sitting there doing nothing, the 590 just sits on the slurry pump and never goes anywhere, and the 2140 is occsionally used on the straw chopper so they would not be too missed really, its not as if there doing allot between them

prob is jordan, if they werent earning their keep, they would have probally gone already or been restored by them?? i would say something basic, simple to work on ,easy to get parts for, would suit you better, like you said a grey fergy, half decent penny style 35x,mf 100 series of some sort or even a old db996 or  leyland??? of some sorts, the list is long as they say, fordsons, nuffields,go quirky, what about a old zetor ?? fiat ford 3000 or alikes

prob is jordan, if they werent earning their keep, they would have probally gone already or been restored by them?? i would say something basic, simple to work on ,easy to get parts for, would suit you better, like you said a grey fergy, half decent penny style 35x,mf 100 series of some sort or even a old db996 or  leyland??? of some sorts, the list is long as they say, fordsons, nuffields,go quirky, what about a old zetor ?? fiat ford 3000 or alikes

i would like something that pretty simple to maintain or repair if something goes wrong due to not having loads of time

as i said though they have allot of kit just sitting there doing nothing mainly due to them buying bigger tractor so the smaller tractors and implements get shoved to the far corner of the yard. they have 2 shelbourne dual spreaders doing nothing, the county, an old industrial case with loader, variious implements and i feel when there sitting there doing nothing and being left to rust, i think there going to waste, i could invest some money and make some money from them. just becouse the farm have no use for them lads like myself can make the most of them

stay away from the county jordan, big county = BIGGER bank account,  look good & provided they havent been misused they're great tractors , but if something goes wrong , unlike a 35 or a dexta, you cant just park it in the garage & drop the front axle off ! same as anyting with a safety cab really , any backend problems could lead to having the cab removed & that means £££££££ to get done , why do you think i went for a 168 ! i would have liked a 590  :-\  298 :-[

for a first tractor to do the rallies & ploughing matches you'd be bang on with a 35 or a fordson, & maybe a little international B series, they are easy to find & even restored ones arnt always too far from a decent price range & will save the time & pennies needed to restore it yerself

if you want to go the collecting route , go for the t20 , there were loads of implements made for that tractor  & you could build up a nice little collection for yerself .

if you want to go the 'use it for contracting' route , then you'd  be hard pushed to beat the international /case international 956 , simple to use, work on & bullet proof everything