no more holy grails so what shall we collect next

ford 8830

Money. Now, I'm no expert but as I understand it money is a very rare item. I'd have a look about and see what you can find. Or gold, gold's good. . . . . . and oil, although oil doesn't come in a special box, you can get dealer barrels though :D :D

Hydrogen fuel cell, not strictly a hobby but if you can invent an economic design and mass produce it then sell it to car manufacturers, where it will appeal to the general public then you will become a very wealthy person, just remember I gave you the idea, and I will require a 10% commission for my services  ;)

Or you could do what I do and waste your money on Subaru's and track days  :-[

I shall take this opportunity to admit that I have just started a collection of vintage wristwatches, the analogue manual winding types. They must however be in fully working order and clean with the minimal amount of wear. I have been able to pick up some really nice cheap mens ones, mostly dating from the early 1960's through the 1970's and most have come on new leather straps. Most are sourced on the internet but car boot sales are a good source as well. Old watches in good working condition are becoming very collectable now and some are commanding quite high prices. Easy to store as they don't take up much room, just a lot of winding.

No Mark, no windup.  ;)  My favourite make would be the good old British Timex watches, so many styles and variants and they still produce them, although battery driven, but even now they are very stylish, retro and very cheap to very expensive but on the whole pretty bombproof and reliable. It is very surprising what you can learn about something when you start collecting it and I'm fast learning the types and names to look out for, but of course, Rolex and certain Omega types require a mortgague facility so we won't go there quite yet!  ;)

Interesting stuff Tim... I've got an old 1980's timex somewhere.. I've had a lot of watches over the years and I've kept most of them.. I've got a tag which mrs f bought me about 20 years ago which is probably my favourite sill.

I've also got 2 or 3 boss and Gucci watches which I also rate highly... All battery of course

My daily wear is a Rolex... You just can't beat them in my opinion

'Fossil' by any chance Sean?  ;)

Sorry Sean, I thought you wanted us to guess what make you wear.  ;)

The best Timex I ever had was the black dial military type with the luminous dots and hands with a red sweephand, I'm pretty sure I still have it somewhere uless my Mother threw it out many years ago without me knowing. Timex made this watch from 1967 to the late 1970's and also made a variant with a larger squarer case for the French market and had the name Kelton on the dial, this one is the rarest of the military style ones apparently. One had a date window with the numbers in red on a white backgroung, the other did not have the date. You can date most timex watches very accurately, below the 6 there are some numbers, the ones to the left of the 6 is the catalogue number, the ones on the right of the 6 is the month and the last two of these numbers is the year of manufacture. Timex also make watches with the name Carriage.

collecting money thats not a bad idea guys  but it always burns a whole in my pockets  :D :D

watches, ??? too time consuming

finally the collection is not complete just no more real wanted tractors from the past that i have used or liked. really turnred off to all the new stuff being churned out every 2 mins.

last model will be the norscot mt865 as this is what i drive day to day.

have bought a couple of corgi aviation jets lately, phantom and lightning from 74 sqn at wattisham.

the real point to all this is are uh etc killing the hobby by flooding us with all the models.....

i have lost all interest in the new hence thinking about other collection.........

theres still some i am looking for so the hobbys not totaly dead for me, as you can guess they are mf, 290, 690 698t stuff like that , will i be lucky ,well i can only hope, but do get what you mean about the current rush from uh ,so much out that i cant be bothered to buy it now, unless it really catchs my eye, but that does mean more money for filling the holes in my older collection

• 2 weeks later...

Im jealous, i have a huge way to go and would have to spend a huge amount of money to "complete" my collection, i suppose it helps that i like all types of tractors from the late vintage era to the modern stuff, personally i think it is great that model firms are now providing a wider choise to collectors but i think they have a long way to go before everything has been accounted for, i know one can purchase a convertion or re-build of practically everything but most of these tend to be expensive and out of a lot of collectors price range. I will re-address this issue when i have a couple of Countys, Muir Hill 171, Roadless 120 a David Brown 996 "later model with the saftey cab!", Leyland 282 and say a late cabbed Nuffield 4/65 sitting on a shelf in my home, all 1/32 scale and cost less then 50 quid each... ;)