John deere vs New Holland

harryh141

Were looking at buying a new tractor for our drilling, ploughing and general jobs throughout the year. Our biggest at the moment is a john deere 6930 that does the seeding and ploughing but we are looking for something in the 200hp region. Id like to say the new john deere 6r look pretty impressive? or even a 7530 but the boss is drawn to new holland as we hired a couple during the summer... one t6080 and a t8030 for sumo work. Whats everyones opinion? Green or blue...  :)

blue of course  ;)  , but all seriousness..

two factores do play a role. first: PRIZE , for what i hear, New Holland is cheaper then John Deere, so your boss sees those advantages first of all..

second : experience. It all depends on how your experiences with the NH and JD's are.. fuel consumption and prestations are very important. Also is there a dealer close by for services?

Those factors should be the decisive ones, the tractor that costs the less, has the best fuel consumption and lowest maintenance costs is the way to go from your boss's point of view. The drivers however will look at ease of operation and comfort.

I have driven the new 6r series and i'll tell ya you'll be bloomin impressed, the cab has enough room in it for a small house, noise levels are low, visability superb,

a 6170 would replace the 6930 but if you want bigger the 6210 is a beauty and it might look big but hell it is actually compact and for drilling and sowing add the steering option, at headlands only a couple of small turns lock to lock is impressive,

what gearbox you got? i'd recomend autopower every second but their new gear box with the twin clutch system is genius and just as good as autopower

a winner

i would hate to be buying a tractor with the huge choice arround now, doesnt seem  that long ago you got the big 3 mf ford and jd,that was prety much it, themodel  ranges were all smaller , less options to pack on , biggest decisions my lot had to make were size690 699 ect  and 2 or 4wd drive most of the time

If it makes it to the end of the day?

I'm sorry ricky but with deere's current record of reliability and fuel use it be parked up first!

We have a JD 7530 and hired in a NH T7060 to pull my plough this season and one things for certain there will never be another deere on this farm!! The NH coped with 7f very well for 220hp (its  mounted on land plough so no light weight) the deere has constant niggles, gearbox is well rubbish its the worst cvt on the market! And it drinks like there's no tomorrow! NH T7060 was drinking same in a day as JD but with an extra furrow and in harder conditions this year! I will add I was a blue hater but I loved it and prepared to eat my words  :laugh:

We have looked at new 6r and 7r and for money they are were looking at case or claas as replacement and even a 724 as cheaper for better spec!

Phew what a question, personally i do like the New Holland T7's, as i am a fan of New Holland and John Deere i like yourself would be torn between the 2, i think the only soloution is to get one of each on demo and see for yourself what machine performs the best, i am sure your local NH and JD dealerships would be falling over themselves to help.

what settings did you have the autopower on pingu?

I can set my 6930 to either drink the full tank on a days sowing with the 1 pass or only use 3/4 of it all in the settings of the engine + gearbox, many leave the factory on a drink it setting and have a bit more torque, play with the settings on your droop and power boast and eco settings and you will find you most likely have her set to drink instead of sip

and i'm not sure about you but some people compare two tractors on demo like this, oh that one used a full tank today, and the other one only used 7/8 of a tank

Chances are the tanks are different sizes and there is usually alot more left in the bottom of a tank than people realise, the only way to do it is with a fuel meter and thats the way i do it, everyone says deere drink alot of fuel, so how come in DLG tests deere usually rank in the top 3?

I play with settings all the time on it but I'm sorry having had all others on demo and they all seemed to work better together with their engine management. Driving fendt 820 few weeks back and dropping revs back to 1450 at 50k (even with 16ton maize behind) but no matter settings on 75 lowest will drop with revs unlimited is 1850 you have to tell it to drop revs on limiter to 1500 if want it at that on road.  I admit at times I dont set it at most fuel economic at times because it is often working on its limits power wise especially when was on the plough so need as much torque and power it can give. I know the tanks are different sizes 330 odd on deere and 410 on NH but fuel used is metered from the tank. 

This is just my findings I had a 7930 last year and loved it and pulled better then this years T7060 and was good on fuel when being pushed.  If looking for cultivation's tractor or any heavy hard graft don't look at 7530! They are designed to be an all rounder not a heavy work horse hence why we find fuel use high.  But aside from that we dont mind extra fuel use (its small fry in what were using per day at that time of year) but it had constant niggles in first 2500hrs with it being back to dealers numerous times for large oil leaks etc which for most its hours its spent pulling sprayer, fert spreader, trailers and other general duties which its superb at

we run autoquad gearboxes on both the deeres, personally i dont think you can go wrongnespecially with the auto shuttle for road work. A lot of people have said they like the new holland t7's but id like to try a new 6r like a 6210r, looks like one of those would cope easilly for the sowing and ploughing duties! what gearboxes are best for a t7? A friend has used the auto command and he said its not all what it cracks up to be whereas a farm down the road has a t7050 with power command and they say that is great  :of  Spoilt for choice id say  ;D

What do you use for plouging and what do you use for seed drilling?

Spent a summer lugging a 14t spreader which is an all wieght of 20t with a 7530, never put a spanner on it even though it was powering hydraulics, pto and pulling for up to 15hr a day. Worked it hard and it rewarded us with 100% reliability. Cab wise though . . . Awful.

Used T60's and T70's but not to great ends like the 7530 so can't compare other than from operators point of view. . . . . The cab of a T7030 Auto Power (was using front mounted flail topper) is superb, absolutely superb. Wish I could use a T70 a lot more.

You'll only get opinions here. Demo a like for like machine from each brand and make the decision (or your boss should) on your own merits, taking into account dealer, price, residual value aswell

The 6930 does all the drilling and this year a hired t6080 did all the ploughing. Everyone on the farms says that the 6930 isnt a patch on the new holland but i have to say im stuck with john deere. I think the best option would be to get hold of a new 6r and see how that competes against a blue one and like others have said, new holland seem to be cheaper than the green machines  :of 

If im honest, the only downside that i found with the t6080 was the range command gearbox, it just seemed to rev none stop when your on the road and you try to shift ranges and the tractor just beeps at you. Field work the 6080 definatley pulls better than the deere but for road work i dont think you can go wrong with an autoquad gearbox in a 6930 and i havent had much experience with the cvt boxes which is probably why im drawn to autoquad... if only you could combine the two ay  ;)

The 6930 does all the drilling and this year a hired t6080 did all the ploughing. Everyone on the farms says that the 6930 isnt a patch on the new holland but i have to say im stuck with john deere. I think the best option would be to get hold of a new 6r and see how that competes against a blue one and like others have said, new holland seem to be cheaper than the green machines  :of 

If im honest, the only downside that i found with the t6080 was the range command gearbox, it just seemed to rev none stop when your on the road and you try to shift ranges and the tractor just beeps at you. Field work the 6080 definatley pulls better than the deere but for road work i dont think you can go wrong with an autoquad gearbox in a 6930 and i havent had much experience with the cvt boxes which is probably why im drawn to autoquad... [glow=red,2,300]if only you could combine the two ay [/glow] ;)

That is basically what the new gearbox is on deere with twin clutches you hardly feel a gear change its seemless

I driven alot of newholland and John deere tractors, and would take the john deere over a new holland every single time. Theres practically nothing to live on with traction, fuel economy, or reliability, there are good ones and dogs in each, the main reason why you hear of scare stories with each is cause of the amount of them about, and mostly poor maintence.

Reasons for puchasing a JD would be the extra, comfort and quietness, and residual values, only downside is price, if i couldnt afford the deere is the only reason for buying a nh. Theyre a tractor ive never warmed to and always feel they lack in quality to the deere.

But with everything, especially with tractors and peoples uneducatedness and childhness, they will disagree with everything said and will buy one marque regardless of quality just because it has their badge on it. Get both out on demo, and buy what you like and which makes better financial sense, as its a business purchase to make money, dont be buying it on its colour for gods sake

the only way your boss can really do justice on a new tractor is to do what gav did with his boss, get several in on demo, mf, jd, case ,nh ,valtra ect ,and do a good few days comparable work with each ,do a good list of what was good and bad on each  work out  fuel costs  for each  ,give sensible thought to extras you need for the job planned, not just because you can have them for the hell of it, pitch the dealers against each other see what deals they will do servicing ect, trade in price naturally on the old girl leaving the fleet if it is? ,many people on here will spout off that their "brand" will knock every one over,will give you all the specs on new stuff they really want and not what you really need  , but gavs test just went to prove good research and thought can sometimes turn out to give you something different and so much better than you and your boss  thought you could get