Universal Hobbies: Too many Models? Discuss..

Its like this! UH are out to mass produce with the aim of a really big turn over. Tractors & farm machinery aint the only thing UH are making. We all know they do cars,trucks etc also,so how do we know  they are/or are not affecting  the small model makers in that sector aswell.UH have really come on strong over the last 6 or 7 years & will continue to grow until they are the market leaders. They dont care about the small time model producer just like Britains/Ertl dont. And they also have the carpet farmer in mind a little unlike the speacilist model maker.If there is money to be made ,they will try and make it. Its every man for himself in this  modelmaking market.

I myself cant keep up with their new offerings & find they are moving too fast which does piss me off.

But i aint going to collect every TW they are going to produce. Maybe 3 max. AND THATS ENOUGH! 8)

As for the likes of Dave Purdue & the rest,i dont what to see them go down. & im sure none of us do.

We will continue support them the best way we can & im sure there is plenty tractors on everybodys wish list that they could make &  that UH never will. ;):)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am generally happy with UH models, they have a good range and cater for a lot of tastes. The quality and accuracy is pretty good for the money, my only problem is the ridiculously unrealistic rear linkage, to which I must also say said rear linkage does seem to fit most all implements out their and is therefore more practical.

I have had a few higher end mass produced models recently that have a few quality issues recently (Imber and Schuco) and at £50 a piece for something that is not that well finished off is pretty irritating. I have 20 or so Universal Hobbies models and each and everyone is to my satisfaction. I only hope if they are going to increase production and broaden the range they can maintain the quality at the price point.

That said, as soon as my work situation stabilises further not only will I be buying the new UH models, but I have a fair few pieces I would like to get from DBP and BOR as well, its tough times for all and I am very sure that those who can support high end, low volume custom builders will do so regardless.

Does it really matter if we see a rash of variations over a couple of months? You don't have to buy them immediately, they'll be on the market for a while.

Yes i agree. Lots of guys JUMP when they see a new model hitting the shop shelves.

They should relax a small bit. And if they go off the market,im sure one could be found on Ebay anyway. 8)

I think a lot of people on this forum lead a very affluent lifestyle and don't think that there are collectors out there that want quality(ish) but not at a high price.

I agree, but, I don't regard UH as being affordable - to me, they seem very expensive (particularly considering some of the inaccuracies on some models, and the general and increasingly poor quality of fit and finish).

I agree, but, I don't regard UH as being affordable - to me, they seem very expensive (particularly considering some of the inaccuracies on some models, and the general and increasingly poor quality of fit and finish).

I can see your point, but £45 when all your earning is paper round wages us a lot better than £150

You are another one who is completely missing the point as well  ;)

The point or your point?

While I agree with some of what you say, times change. Hobbies included. It isn't about making models for select collectors to relish in adding to their theme, it's about making enough models to appeal to more people - diecast collectors, farm workers, dealership staff. New collectors need to be found to keep sales up and this is not going to be done by producing few models by few brands. It's business sense, not collectors' affection which is at the forefront of these companies.

I don't find the hobby particulary exciting at the moment I have to admit, my theme is machinery I have used or driven and from the big model producers there is very few to chose from. It does make each purchase I do make that bit more special though. Since the hype leading up to the Marge release and then how very quickly it was forgotten thanks to the big stomping foot of UH, I have become even more disgruntled. The models UH are releasing will be popular, they will sell to many people - many will be different people.

If you are one who collects only one scale, or only one model producer, or only one OEM then maybe you are the one now missing the point.........